UPS and Guns

S

susiedriver

Darren,

Dang, I guess you win.

(Message edited by susiedriver on August 22, 2005)

G

gman

Ahhh, ... I'm failing to get the point of your post.

Is that quote supposed to be something of interest, that a Mulitia has the right to carry guns

T

therodog

this thread is starting to get scarry....lol

I dont believe everyone should have guns, but if you have the qualifications, you should be able to. As for the AK47s and assault weapons, i think they should have special permits like for a class 3 machine gun licence which im trying to get, because i collect military rifles, etc. They are too dangerous in the wrong hands, etc

T

therodog

absolutly not. This thread was to leave your gun in your car locked up , in case you dont have time to go home. People were fired from their jobs because of it.

S

susiedriver

Darren,

You do realize that any employer has the right to set rules for the workplace that may contadict state and/or local laws. If your car is parked on their lot, they have the right to search it, and discipline/terminate you for anything they find in it, be it a bottle of beer or one of the many guns you are holding in your picture.

Park it off property, and they can't search it, though you are subject to searches in & out.

P

pd109

In 1999 the U.S.A. had 8,259 firearms related murders.In Canada we had 165.Even if you take the population at the time into consideration,about 290 million to our 30 million,our 165 murders would be about 900 instead.suziedriver...you seem to like websites,this is where I got my info...
http://www.nationmaster.com
just the facts

T

tranham

Susie: How is your link unbiased news? You talked about the CBS bit being even handed. Yet this article is labeled at the top "Chatterbox Gossip, speculation, and scuttlebutt about politics". Nothing more than an editorial with an agenda. If you don't like the current laws then you need to try and change them. But the majority of the country still believes in all of the freedoms given to us in the Bill of Rights. Not just freedom of religion or speech... but all of them.

Pd 109: I think Canada should let Quebec succeed. And I feel very strongly about it. But I'm not Canadian so I will keep my mouth shut.

P

proups

Let's face it - outlawing guns will not stop criminals from getting them.

Take a look at history in the U.S. Think about (or research if you don't remember studying about this in school) prohibition. Yep - the government outlawed liquor. Then what happened? Moonshine!

That may not have been a bad thing....without prohibition, we might not have NASCAR!

Q

quebec_driver

Canada has a regulated(federal) gun registry, it has cost tax payers BILLIONS, to implement and i know for a fact no criminal has registered his wweapons. As for terrorists using firearms, they can make a lot more destructive weapons by buying certain articles off the shelf at any hardware store or grocery store. Susie, the human race has been killing itself off for milleniums, all people need is an excuse. The horrors seen by "peacekeepers" from Canada far outweigh whatever you have seen on TV, some of my friends were there and were stopped from interfering in the cleansing by the "rules of engagement" put out by the UN. A 50 cal sniper rifle is, tacticaly, a poor weapon to use for ethnic cleansing as it is a single shot weapon, you would be better off with an assault rifle. Tranham, if Quebec wants to secceed from Canada they will do it with the majority, but the federal goverment have changed the rules. That local politics around here.

D

dannyboy

Interesting stats there Susie. But using the same site, you forgot some of the others. Lemme share with you.

Canada has higher suicide rates than the USA. Since you do not allow guns for fear of crimes, what is the preferred method?

Per capita brits and canucks have 2X the assaults,
Per capita Brits have 2X the burglary and canunks also have more than USA
Per capita they both have more property crime
Per capita they have more robbery victims, brits by 2X and Canucks by 1.5X
Total crime victims the UK is #3 highest, Canada is #7, with the USA at #15.
Per capita Canada and Great Briton had 2X the numbers of rapes than the USA

What can I say; your site proved it once again, lawful gun owners with private gun ownership is a deterrent for crime of all types. And in the two countries that have the most gun control, crime in most cases, violent crimes especially, are allmost doubled.

One thing your stats on murder did not cover was the total number of murders committed by criminal in the commission of a crime, people that should not even have a gun in the first place. Wanna take a stab at that stat?

BTW your racist remark about the Iraqi's in your area was totally uncalled for. There are many Iraqis in this country that are law abiding citizens. Your remark totally offends me.

d

T

therodog

the problem with anti-gunners (suzi), you cant argue with them. If there were more like him/HER, gun crime in america would be like the UK and Australia, etc..BTW, it will be a federal law, so people will be allowed even tho companies say no. And. Gmen, or Government Men, carry handguns, you might want to change your name there bubba.

(Message edited by therodog on August 23, 2005)

O

ok2bclever

I have to LOL at "the problem with anti-gunners (suzi), you cant argue with them" as there is simply nothing more stuck in cement than a gun nut.

The gun nuts favorite saying would be anti-gunners, you can't argue with them and you can't shoot them", except they don't want to admit the last quite yet.

The problem I have with gun nuts is they see the enemy behind every tree even when wearing tin foil over their heads.

If you mention gun legistlation, it doesn't matter what how mild or what it is legistlating their eyes glaze over, their face starts getting red and they begin frothing at the mouth about the government taking away their butter knife next, and screaming GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Talk about NO DISCUSSION allowed.

Now that is regarding "gun nuts", not reasonable gun owning citizens, hunters and collectors.

It's just hard to draw the line on where one ends and the other begins at times with a lot of the NRA jargon.

Before that starts an attack realize I put myself in the reasonable gun owning citizens, hunters and collectors category and strongly believe in the right for the citizenry to bear arms.

I also believe in the right to blow away anyone entering my house by force.

I would be loath to have killed some young punk in the night just looking for a quick buck, but I would live with the regret rather than chance any potential damage to the health of any one in my family and that's just the way it is.

I own three guns and hunt, well, I use to, the back keeps me pretty lazy about such any more and I pretty much just hunt fish with a pole now and even that is pretty occasional.

I have a Model 336Y, a Remington 1200 shotgun and a modified 9mm Llama to 45 caliber specs.

However, I am not in favor of the casual purchase crap that is allowed at gun shows and owning the heavy artillary assault rifles without serious background checks etc.

I will live with the French scenario chance rather than agree with allowing undiscriminant legal purchase power to the stupid, criminal and legally mentally unstable as it stands now.

And also I take umbrage at the fanatics who try to lump anyone who speaks up about against any limitations to their owning whatever they damn well want to as commie pinko, etc.}

D

dannyboy

"undiscriminant legal purchase power to the stupid, criminal and legally mentally unstable as it stands now."

Your quote. There are laws against what you posted. The problem is that there are not enough laws, but the enforcement of those laws.
My personal view is that if a convicted criminal uses a gun in another crime, it should add at least 20 years of actual time to what ever the other crime might hold. And if someone actually gets hurt or killed, an automatic death sentence.

While we are on the subject, it is those poor liberal bleeding hearts that cry when a poor misguided criminal has two strikes, then goes and steals a beer for his third strike. They feel like going to jail for life over a beer is wrong. My take is that all these years they have taken the teeth out of time to serve, and what you say you dont really mean. After all, a 99 year sentence only means I have to serve 24, and maybe with good behavior I can be out in 7.

When criminals understand that if they use a gun, regardless of what happens, they WILL be in deep DOO DOO.......

Susie is kinda like a driver here that is a real tree hugger yelling about the people that trash the roadway with cans and bottles. But when I asked him what about the cigarette butts he allways throws out the door, or the ashtray he dumps on the gas station parking lot, that of course is another thing entirely. BTW, have you ever noticed at intersections they are in places several inches deep until the rain comes and washes them into our lakes and streams.

And please dont confuse the main stream NRA with photos the likes of what has been linked to on this thread. The vast majority of NRA members are much like you and I.

I am against laws that limit rights of any kind to the individual. But then again, I believe in the old saying, your rights stop when they interfere with my rights. The one thing here is the consideration on my part to the rights of others. Too many people have lost that fundamental responsibility of respecting others rights.

That is where Susie and I differ. She makes sweeping statements that she has gathered from sound bites, and then applies them to a situation or phrase that has very little to do with the soundbite.

But then liberal people that have been complaining about us not paying what the rest of the world has been paying for oil, should be glad that it is nearing $3 a gallon. Their self projected guilt, for what ever reason, is their problem, not mine.

It is also funny how they take great offence at someone else making refrence to something racist and raising hell about it,then when they say something that is very racist, they try and ignore those that might take offence at it.

So equality is something they want to talk about and demand that we all adhear to the principle, but that does not apply to them personally.

d

S

susiedriver

danny,

Just a couple of points...

The picture I linked to is 'therodog' in person. His name is Darren. He is the one that was using a neo-nazi symbol as his avatar, and no one seemed to care about that. That is the only thing that offended me. He has changed it to an NRA shield now.

I do find it disturbing that an illegal alien can buy hundreds of 50 caliber sniper rifles and ship them to a terrorist organization that was doing ethnic cleansing.

My remark about the Iraqi fleamarket was tongue in cheek, Not one 'suitcase bomb' has ever been used. I'm not talking about an IED packed in a suitcase, but the common definition of 'suitcase bomb'.

I am not anti-gun by any means, though I see no use in the type of gun meant to kill only humans, like the ones Darren 'therodog' is pictured with.

P

plisken

I gotta step in and clarify something. The symbol that 'therodog' is using is not an NRA symbol. It looks similar, but it isn't. The symbol is called a 'trident' and it is the hard earned symbol worn by the US Navy SEAL Teams.

I'm wondering if therodog is a Navy SEAL. Maybe he is, or he has a family member, or friend, who is, or he's just a big fan.

I hope he's not going around claiming that falsely though. I grew up in San Diego, where the SEALs go through their BUDS training. I had a few SEALs for neighbors and happen to know that they don't take it lightly when someone falsley claims the title of Navy SEAL. I'm not accusing therodog of anything, just hope he's not one of those guys.