UPS and Teamsters Discuss Two-Tier Wages, Sunday Deliveries---WSJ

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
And what is your proposal for combating concessions and not accepting the jokes leading this union off a cliff?
I'm out. Just a cheerleader.
We proposed/authorized a strike. Enjoyed some good years after '97. Then its back to what you are dealing with now.
Looks like about every 20 years UPS needs a reality check to realize where the bread and butter comes from.
A strike works if members DON'T concede. It appears you have thrown in the towel.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Saturday and Sunday are going to be in this contract. The only question is who is going to do the delivering. The union will want to do this because it means more union dues. If they do do this there better be a big bump in pay and no forcing people in when their understaffed

Box Ox

Hopefully they come up with some strong language to protect the number of m-friend jobs at the current pay structure, otherwise it's going to slowly fade away as people retire out of those positions.

Could always try to work to death/abuse the “grandfathered” top rate drivers. See which ones would rather quit than fight back. Replace ‘em with the new class of lower paid driver whenever they go. What’s the Union gonna do? It was too weak to resist TWO TIER PAY!

I think two-tier could definitely place a management target on the backs of upper tier drivers.

Tired Driver

Sisyphus had it easy.
Could always try to work to death/abuse the “grandfathered” top rate drivers. See which ones would rather quit than fight back. Replace ‘em with the new class of lower paid driver whenever they go. What’s the Union gonna do? It was too weak to resist TWO TIER PAY!

I think two-tier could definitely place a management target on the backs of upper tier drivers.

That is what happened the red circle workers in eighties. A target was on their back.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
The problem I see is most don’t want to work weekends. But they don’t want to see a lower pay scale or a divided driving work force. Well, the time to fix this was when weekend language was put in over the course of many years ago. Too late. And most of the senior guys are grandfathered in anyway, so they don’t have to worry about it.

Jkloc420

The problem I see is most don’t want to work weekends. But they don’t want to see a lower pay scale or a divided driving work force. Well, the time to fix this was when weekend language was put in over the course of many years ago. Too late. And most of the senior guys are grandfathered in anyway, so they don’t have to worry about it.
weekend work is coming, union wants more union dues. Weekend work is a win for the union

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Negative. What i was saying was our pay at some point needs to be frozen with a progression. We cant keep getting raises and expecting free healthcare, its unrealistic.
You also come in an hour early and sort your truck and deliver during your lunch because you feel you are overpaid?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Negative. What i was saying was our pay at some point needs to be frozen with a progression. We cant keep getting raises and expecting free healthcare, its unrealistic.
Why is it unrealistic? Profits are way up. They are spending ridiculous amounts on technology, we should keep getting ours as well.
Didn't the company just make record profits again?

This

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The only people working weekends are new hires with less then 5 years.

Inthegame

weekend work is coming, union wants more union dues. Weekend work is a win for the union
Right, that's why the proposed pay rate will be lower, so the union can get less dues. Brilliant!
You do understand the concept here right? It's pt's working weekend shifts. No more dues.

542thruNthru

The only people working weekends are new hires with less then 5 years.

This is not exactly true. It's any new driver under 10 years. That doesn't count the 7-10 years PT they worked. They put in their time to become and driver and enjoy the same benefits as any other driver before them.

Jkloc420

Right, that's why the proposed pay rate will be lower, so the union can get less dues. Brilliant!
You do understand the concept here right? It's pt's working weekend shifts. No more dues.
you do realize they dont have a weekend work force big enough to handle what ups wants. This is across the whole ups network. Furthermore you realize there are more part timers now then full timers right