UPS and Teamsters Discuss Two-Tier Wages, Sunday Deliveries---WSJ

BigDouche

Negative. What i was saying was our pay at some point needs to be frozen with a progression. We cant keep getting raises and expecting free healthcare, its unrealistic.
Our pay needs to be frozen? Are your bills ever frozen, price of gas, groceries? UPS just had their taxes lowered almost in half and your concerned with how much they're paying us? Wow you are scary brother. By the way we earn our benefits there not free.

BigDouche

you do realize they dont have a weekend work force big enough to handle what ups wants. This is across the whole ups network. Furthermore you realize there are more part timers now then full timers right
I have an idea how about we make some of the existing part-timers, full timers and give them full time pay and benefits and a good pension and a future instead of locking them into part-time and weekends for their entire career

Staydryitsraining

Our pay needs to be frozen? Are your bills ever frozen, price of gas, groceries? UPS just had their taxes lowered almost in half and your concerned with how much they're paying us? Wow you are scary brother. By the way we earn our benefits there not free.
No one is going to say we dont make enough money when it comes down to someone outside making the decision to change our pay or our benefits. If we keep getting raises thats whats going to happen in the future when the pters go ft. The company will say enough is enough or well get some guy like we got now deciding what happens next who just bends over. Im not talking about 18 to 23 contract. Im talking about the future.

dudebro

Could always try to work to death/abuse the “grandfathered” top rate drivers. See which ones would rather quit than fight back. Replace ‘em with the new class of lower paid driver whenever they go. What’s the Union gonna do? It was too weak to resist TWO TIER PAY!

Economically it would pay better to shift work to lower paid drivers to decrease the cost basis to serve, not shift to the top tier drivers at OT...

Box Ox

Economically it would pay better to shift work to lower paid drivers to decrease the cost basis to serve, not shift to the top tier drivers at OT...

Naturally. But will there be enough lower tier driver routes to take all that's necessary to keep higher tier drivers' routes from OT? Would management prefer to pressure or force the higher tier driver out so they don't have to put more trucks with more low tier folks on the road? Might help the bottom line to just get rid of the high dollar old man.

F

Frankie's Friend

You're arguing both sides. On the one hand you're concerned with wages bringing on our demise so obviously paring wages would strengthen our position vs the competition.
So you recognize and are sympathetic to UPS's rising costs but yet the IBT is selling you down a river somewhere by addressing those concerns in negotiations.
Pick your side partner, it can't be both ways.
Either they have enough coin to pony up or they don't.
Does anyone think the company will drop their rates if drivers take a pay cut?
That's fools gold for sure.

F

Frankie's Friend

I can accept a two tier wage system :thumbup1:
20180504_225939.jpg

brown_trousers

There has to be a lot of compromises, give and take, and trading on issues when negotiating. What if the teamster's offered this 2-tier wage for something BIG in return?
What if they bailed out all our pensions? Or gave us free healthcare in retirement? Or gave us all $10/hr raises.

Part of me wants to hold on to hope that i can trust our union officials. The other part wonders if they are secretly working against us.

There has to be a lot of compromises, give and take, and trading on issues when negotiating. What if the teamster's offered this 2-tier wage for something BIG in return?
What if they bailed out all our pensions? Or gave us free healthcare in retirement? Or gave us all $10/hr raises.

Part of me wants to hold on to hope that i can trust our union officials. The other part wonders if they are secretly working against us.
Trust none of them. The only way we can make a difference is , if we vote an inferior contract down.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Every year this job gets harder! Not to mention in 97 there wasn't 140 pound trampolines, and damn furniture pieces blowing out trucks every day!

I have yet talk to a customer or anybody from the public who doesn't think we deserve what we make! We have drivers quitting because the job is too hard!

This is all about the company wanting to give their investors more return on their money- plain and simple! Just give us a damn contract to vote on! :censored2:!!

Last edited by a moderator:

brown_trousers

Im curious. In 97, were the teamsters urging us to pass a crap contract, and we stood up to them, and voted it down?

Or did they admit to it being a bad deal, and urge us to strike?

DOK

Drop the union. Only way to make sure were treated right. They need to wake up.
Yeah, that makes sense (not), until this settles in ..."The company, which has been spending heavily to automate its network to handle the surge in ecommerce parcels, has also been taking steps to curb employee costs, offering early buyouts to managers last month and freezing pension plans for 70,000 nonunion staffers last year."
How many of these 70,000 do you suppose got to vote on that concession?

Fat cat nounion jobs, there is way too much dead weight management positions, waaaay too many. It is laughable. They create these metrics and numbers that drivers are asked to uphold that mean nothing in order to make it look like they have a purpose. With the technology we have it’s time to cut a bunch of management.

Staydryitsraining

Fat cat nounion jobs, there is way too much dead weight management positions, waaaay too many. It is laughable. They create these metrics and numbers that drivers are asked to uphold that mean nothing in order to make it look like they have a purpose. With the technology we have it’s time to cut a bunch of management.
Yea most 7+ year ft sups making 80k plus a year.