UPS and Teamsters Discuss Two-Tier Wages, Sunday Deliveries---WSJ

RealPerson

Negative. What i was saying was our pay at some point needs to be frozen with a progression. We cant keep getting raises and expecting free healthcare, its unrealistic.
Seriously??? Only when UPS has a Frozen Profit.... If UPS keeps making huge profits, our Wages and Healthcare are not hurting them.
Do you own a lot of stock??? LOL

RealPerson

Saturday and Sunday are going to be in this contract. The only question is who is going to do the delivering. The union will want to do this because it means more union dues. If they do do this there better be a big bump in pay and no forcing people in when their understaffed
Correct, More Employees = More union dues.
Maybe "Flex" Drivers. Same wage, but they only work 4 days a week??
IDK, not here to solve anything.

PT Car Washer

There has to be a lot of compromises, give and take, and trading on issues when negotiating. What if the teamster's offered this 2-tier wage for something BIG in return?
What if they bailed out all our pensions? Or gave us free healthcare in retirement? Or gave us all $10/hr raises.

Part of me wants to hold on to hope that i can trust our union officials. The other part wonders if they are secretly working against us.
Or eliminate the four year progression for a one year.

PT Car Washer

We should just drop the whole concept of combo drivers. Either choose FT driving, or choose FT inside work. No mixing of the two job categories
They are already mixed. PT and Art 22.3 air drivers working 12 hour days is normal some parts of the year. Like right now. While FT drivers go home after 8 or 9 hours.

brown_trousers

They are already mixed. PT and Art 22.3 air drivers working 12 hour days is normal some parts of the year. Like right now. While FT drivers go home after 8 or 9 hours.

They are mixed, we have a few 22.3 driving combos out here too. The problem is that the more mixed our jobs become, the more management can manipulate that system to benefit them.

Contract time is the perfect time to change these things

iruhnman630

I have an idea how about we make some of the existing part-timers, full timers and give them full time pay and benefits and a good pension and a future instead of locking them into part-time and weekends for their entire career
So then who gets to deliver Sunday?

PT Car Washer

They are mixed, we have a few 22.3 driving combos out here too. The problem is that the more mixed our jobs become, the more management can manipulate that system to benefit them.

Contract time is the perfect time to change these things
The truth is some PT air drivers love making top driver rate while doing half the work. And a whole lot better then $10/hr loading trailers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The problem I see is most don’t want to work weekends. But they don’t want to see a lower pay scale or a divided driving work force. Well, the time to fix this was when weekend language was put in over the course of many years ago. Too late. And most of the senior guys are grandfathered in anyway, so they don’t have to worry about it.
Working weekends will simply be part of the job for anyone hired from now on. I don't want to work my weekends. I'm also not giving up this job because I might have to work Saturdays for a few years. Those that are willing to quit over weekend work........goodbye.

But listen to some of us. Man I sure as hell don't want to work the weekend. Yeah hire some new guys and make them do it. Oh you'll have to pay them less? Yeah sure why not. Doesn't effect me.

Pay them LESS to work a day I'm not willing to work......
That's about the least union "brotherhood" thing I can think of.

Last edited:

opie

I think the company could just force these part time ground drivers to work all day. "Work as directed." And just deal with the grievances.

PT Car Washer

Working weekends will simply be part of the job for anyone hired from now on. I don't want to work my weekends. I'm also not giving up this job because I might have to work Saturdays for a few years. Those that are willing to quit over weekend work........goodbye.

But listen to some of us. Man I sure as hell don't want to work the weekend. Yeah hire some new guys and make them do it. Oh you'll have to pay them less? Yeah sure why not. Doesn't effect me. Pay them LESS to work a day I'm not willing to work......

Part of the labor movement was about the 40 hr 5 day work week. Time to spend with your family and church on Sunday. If anything Saturday and Sunday should be premium pay.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

But listen to some of us. Man I sure as hell don't want to work the weekend. Yeah hire some new guys and make them do it. Oh you'll have to pay them less? Yeah sure why not. Doesn't effect me. Pay them LESS to work a day I'm not willing to work......

Working weekends has been lost language for a lot longer than anyone thinks. For me, it was the only appealing thing about this job, knowing that come Friday night, I was done and on parole for two days. I’ll go throw trash in the back of a smelly truck in the ghetto, they at least don’t get pushed around into working weekends and holidays.

IMO, it’s all smoke and mirrors anyway, trying to get us thinking something that shouldn’t even be an issue is a victory.