UPS announces 12,000 job cuts, says package volume slipped last quarter

I posted after the contract passed to enjoy what you are getting because there is going to be a big price to pay for a big contract. This is just a start. I can’t imagine the harassment that you guys still working are going to get from management to try to up production.

Who could have seen that coming? Massive pay increases in a faltering economy. All the covers and most of the 22.4s are laid off in my building. Drivers are getting heavy handed punishments in an attempt to get rid of them. Routes are being permanently cut or switched to Saturdays. I called this last summer. The people getting the biggest pay increases would be the first on the chopping block.
Thanks for posting. $0.02 has been added to your account. Your social credit score has increased by 10 points.

1B02F56D-5E23-48C0-B19C-D31F96CFB657.jpeg

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
He’s putting on his UPS awards, trinkets and inspirational sayings he has framed in his office in a box. Security will be there shortly to walk him out.

Years ago in our building we had a senior HR Manager leave on bad terms. They sent his old desk items, pictures, awards etc thrown in a cardboard box, I really mean thrown.. glass and all. It really shows how vindictive and petty they can be if you cross them.

Have they improved..I believe they have gotten worst..No loyalty or Honor anymore.. again just a piece of meat. As C. S. Lewis noted: The people in power are like : “Men without Chests” ( No heart, character or strength)..

Thebrownblob

Probably none.

Just saying, if the union wanted to crack down they could push hard, maybe a few less laid off workers?
The Union? Who is the union and how can they “crack down” if the union Steward or business agent doesn’t have grievances? If no one is stating the nature of their complaint, what do you want a business agent to do?

Last edited:

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
I wouldn’t be sure about that…I just think they thought customers would stick around …unfortunately they are tired of browns :censored2:…can’t say I blame them.

Every 5 years as the contract nears some customers leave UPS to our non union competition. The years that UPS and the union drag the talks up to the deadline is the years we lose the most customers and the years more of those customers will never come back. 5 years goes quickly. It’s hard to lose customers and then rebuild them every 5 years time and time again. With so many options to deliver a customer’s packages they do not have to stick around like they did in the old days.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
The Union? Who is the union and how can they “crack down” if the union Steward or business agent doesn’t have grievances? If no one is stating the nature of their complaint, what do you want a business agent to do?
I tell this to people all the time. They want me to do the battles for them. All it does is it gets me a bigger check since I’m the only one filing, but if everyone does a group effort than it really gets the ball rolling.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
I really hope enough people raise hell after their 4th 9.5 for quadruple pay.
I’m still a hubrat, but hopefully they do. I would and especially if I was formerly a 22.4. In my hub everyone is out for themselves until it conveniences them. I’ve explained if we get laid off we must depend on the other people to file. The money is just the icing on the cake. But they’re spineless here.

Thebrownblob

I tell this to people all the time. They want me to do the battles for them. All it does is it gets me a bigger check since I’m the only one filing, but if everyone does a group effort than it really gets the ball rolling.
It’s much easier to sit back and complain and say “the union” isn’t doing anything. Mostly because most who say this are way too lazy or are worried that management is going to look into the way they do their work and they have something to hide.

RangerMan06

It’s much easier to sit back and complain and say “the union” isn’t doing anything. Mostly because most who say this are way too lazy or are worried that management is going to look into the way they do their work and they have something to hide.
Yes but it would be nice for the union to pursue more harassment and retaliation grievances instead of throwing them out

Thebrownblob

Yes but it would be nice for the union to pursue more harassment and retaliation grievances instead of throwing them out
I’ve never seen a harassment grievance “thrown out” Usually there’s a settlement that the company agrees to abide by and if they do not another grievance should be filed.. harassment is difficult to prove and requires vigilance on the grievants part. It takes a long paper trail to make it work.

Supervisor, work grievances on the other hand are easy and it’s just plain laziness to not file and complain about “the union” .

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
It’s much easier to sit back and complain and say “the union” isn’t doing anything. Mostly because most are way too lazy or are worried that management is going to look into the way they do their work and they have something to hide.
I tell them that and they don’t like it, lol. This generation is soft as :censored2:. But who cares. They can go to the :censored2: steward and get the words they want to hear or they can get results. When :censored2: hits the fan they know who to call, lol.

PT Car Washer

Not just free money like you want to make it sound. Most members filing a grievance will spend more time filling out forms, getting signatures and waiting during hearings just to have the Labor manager negotiate down the grievance. Then wait months for a check. In the mean time, nothing changes.

Thebrownblob

Not just free money like you want to make it sound. Most members filing a grievance will spend more time filling out forms, getting signatures and waiting during hearings just to have the Labor manager negotiate down the grievance. Then wait months for a check. In the mean time, nothing changes.
That’s called the responsibility of the union members. if a business agent negotiates down a grievance without a good reason, like a poorly written grievance without facts, why would you not do something about it? If hearings aren’t happening on a regular basis, I would be contacting my local, and if the grievances are settled and not paid in a timely manner, I would be filing on that as well. Remember those people work for you. I can’t guarantee anything will change. The company is going to make a cost analysis based on what we will allow. The less you file on infractions, the more money they save.

Your attitude that it’s “free money” is your problem not mine, when I file I’m actually filing to solve a problem not get free money. That’s why I never once said free money. Remember their consolidating and collapsing sorts all around the company no reason for supervisors to be working at all apparently because there’s not enough work right?