olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I’d rather be able to hear one coming, personally!
that's a good point. some of our birds smoked like crazy. don't know what a good solution could be. they beep while backing but not forward. maybe a different beep for forward? after awhile you just don't hear the beeping . we had 4-5 birds running and backing all over the yard.

JL 0513

Self driving trucks.. It's happening.

For one thing, it's not Elon Musk's trucks, they're Tesla's. He doesn't own 100% of Tesla. His stake is about 22%.

Why did you think this had anything to do with self driving trucks? They're simply all electric semi's.

Self driving trucks are a lot further off than many speculators are suggesting. Even though the basic tech is already here. Real world use is a whole other thing. Who's going to control the load at each delivery stop?

As for these full electrics, they probably didn't think it through. Don't feeder trucks keep moving as needed? Sure they sit for some periods but they need to be readily available. No super chargers? So one trip, and it has to sit plugged in for 8 hours. Good one. LOL.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
For one thing, it's not Elon Musk's trucks, they're Tesla's. He doesn't own 100% of Tesla. His stake is about 22%.

Why did you think this had anything to do with self driving trucks? They're simply all electric semi's.

Self driving trucks are a lot further off than many speculators are suggesting. Even though the basic tech is already here. Real world use is a whole other thing. Who's going to control the load at each delivery stop?

As for these full electrics, they probably didn't think it through. Don't feeder trucks keep moving as needed? Sure they sit for some periods but they need to be readily available. No super chargers? So one trip, and it has to sit plugged in for 8 hours. Good one. LOL.

maybe good for layover runs. 10 hours off.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I don't know about the driver sitting in the center of the cab? I just think it would have huge blind spots. Maybe some day we will see

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Musk is the public face of the company.

Ergo, his trucks.

Any semi-autonomous features available in the Model S and the Model X will bi incorporated into the trucks.

The first true autonomous vehicles you will see on the highways will be large trucks. However, it will be a long time before a human in the seat will not be needed. For the very reasons you stated as well as situations where the infrastructure (conditions of the roads and visual markings) is subpar.

I think they would work quite well on CPU routes and any turn-around trip that fit in the parameters of the truck's range.

brownIEman

Hey if they start buying the automated ones I'd consider coming back. Would not mind doing a space and vis ride on a self driving truck - so much less whining.

Course with my luck the Union would insist on input on some of the programming so when I asked it to sign the ride packet it would say in HAL's voice from Space Odyssey, "I'm sorry Dave, I cannot do that right now. My steward told me to only sign my paycheck"

brownIEman

We practically have to beg for wax spray for the slides/chutes.

:wink2:

Oh man. The wax battles between the hub sorts - there's a bit of fun I haven't thought about for years. Trying to find the best hiding spot so the next sort would not steel your wax bottles, it's a sure bet the refill station will be out when you really need it.

I wound up resorting to tire shine. I'd get any brand of tire shine spray from AutoZone and spray the slides. It has to dry for an hour or so, so not so workable in back to back sorts, but it would keep slides slick as ice the whole sort.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We know. But these are alternative fuel trucks, now get back into your mommas basement!
It will be very interesting how these trucks handle the ups environment.... we run these rigs hard and 23 hours a day... and we do lots more hooking and unhooking, especially on local runs.... I do know some of the new 279xxx rigs are having many problems the mechanics say because of all the advanced electronics....I guess we’ll see.

542thruNthru

Hey if they start buying the automated ones I'd consider coming back. Would not mind doing a space and vis ride on a self driving truck - so much less whining.

Course with my luck the Union would insist on input on some of the programming so when I asked it to sign the ride packet it would say in HAL's voice from Space Odyssey, "I'm sorry Dave, I cannot do that right now. My steward told me to only sign my paycheck"

tenor-4.gif