MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
It will be very interesting how these trucks handle the ups environment.... we run these rigs hard and 23 hours a day... and we do lots more hooking and unhooking, especially on local runs.... I do know some of the new 279xxx rigs are having many problems the mechanics say because of all the advanced electronics....I guess we’ll see.
Like someone else said, probably as well as the hybrid package cars. Which in my center, is relegated to shuttle work and bulk stops, they are so inefficient.

oldngray

nowhere special
That very well may be.
who sucks.gif

Nike

Wow what a terrible idea!
I have a better idea, let's wait for these trucks to be released and for the reviews to come in before we purchase one.
It's really frustrating when your hub lacks basic supplies like tape and pens but the company can drop a mil on some non-existent trucks that might be released in 5 years.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
It can't be any worst than that gas engine UPS & DOT tested back in the 80's .
The theory was to run to pour the used motor oil into the gas tank . They ran for a short bit and really smelled bad , until they totally stopped working .

oldngray

nowhere special
It can't be any worst than that gas engine UPS & DOT tested back in the 80's .
The theory was to run to pour the used motor oil into the gas tank . They ran for a short bit and really smelled bad , until they totally stopped working .
the stratified charge engine?

UPS Multifuel Stratified Charge Engine Development Program-Field Test

Those were introduced with a ton of hype but quietly went away without any publicity.

I wonder if any were still around for @1BROWNWRENCH to work on.

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I actually drove one. What a wreck . Engine was smoking and it was sluggish , felt like I was dragging something . And I only drove it in the yard .
I pity anyone who had to drive it on a road .

Brown Now

For one thing, it's not Elon Musk's trucks, they're Tesla's. He doesn't own 100% of Tesla. His stake is about 22%.

Why did you think this had anything to do with self driving trucks? They're simply all electric semi's.

Self driving trucks are a lot further off than many speculators are suggesting. Even though the basic tech is already here. Real world use is a whole other thing. Who's going to control the load at each delivery stop?

As for these full electrics, they probably didn't think it through. Don't feeder trucks keep moving as needed? Sure they sit for some periods but they need to be readily available. No super chargers? So one trip, and it has to sit plugged in for 8 hours. Good one. LOL.

maybe good for layover runs. 10 hours off.

UPS will have “Superchargers” strategically located where these will be running just like the already do with the CNG & LNG fleet. Not really that big of a deal.

Brown Now

CACH, I81IN,TOLOH,EARMO and I think Whites Creek TN. have LNG fueling islands built right on property. They’ll do the same with the Tesla tractors.