UPS CUTS PART-TIME WORKERS PAY BY 1/3

Labelflipper

UPS wasn’t paying the bills for me either 20 years ago so I supplemented with a full time job on top. I also didn’t say I hope you got nothing because I got nothing. I said that because you are making a stink about losing a non-contractual temporary pay increase instead of being grateful that you got it at all. Get another job in addition to UPS to supplement your income or quit and find something better.
Who said I wasn't grateful for it?? Do you know me?? No, you don't, just like you don't know any other PT that it happened to. I am very grateful for my job at UPS. UPS IS paying the bills for me. Yes, I'm making a stink about it cuz we were not informed about it, and am standing up for brothers and sisters that are affected by it. Yes, it does make a difference cuz me and nobody else would be saying anything about it, or be upset about it, if we knew it was temporary in the first place. It was literally on our paychecks that it was permanent because they changed our rate of pay. It was not on the retention line, like it was temporary (as I found out, that's what that means)

I don't have to get an additional job to UPS, and there are a lot of PT that don't. Some of us do realize a PT job is what it is and choose to work PT. Not sure you, or anyone else, will ever understand that.

It's funny too, that you and a bunch of others always say...if ya don't like it then leave, It's hard to do that when you like your job and it works for you, like many PT people do at UPS.
Support from long-timers, is all we are really looking for. Obviously that isn't happening, and we can all stay divided like UPS wants us to.

Who said I wasn't grateful for it?? Do you know me?? No, you don't, just like you don't know any other PT that it happened to. I am very grateful for my job at UPS. UPS IS paying the bills for me. Yes, I'm making a stink about it cuz we were not informed about it, and am standing up for brothers and sisters that are affected by it. Yes, it does make a difference cuz me and nobody else would be saying anything about it, or be upset about it, if we knew it was temporary in the first place. It was literally on our paychecks that it was permanent because they changed our rate of pay. It was not on the retention line, like it was temporary (as I found out, that's what that means)

I don't have to get an additional job to UPS, and there are a lot of PT that don't. Some of us do realize a PT job is what it is and choose to work PT. Not sure you, or anyone else, will ever understand that.

It's funny too, that you and a bunch of others always say...if ya don't like it then leave, It's hard to do that when you like your job and it works for you, like many PT people do at UPS.
Support from long-timers, is all we are really looking for. Obviously that isn't happening, and we can all stay divided like UPS wants us to.
You better be extra nice too @Yeet

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I see you still don't understand. Some people, believe it or not, want to only work PT, and can, and do not think a PT job will cover all living expenses. It doesn't have anything to do with PT thinking a PT should cover all living expenses. Even with MRA and attendance bonus or whatever, it still isn't going to cover all living expenses as a PT. I think most PT people know this, and we are working PT because we want to, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't get a fair wage to do so, or have money taken away when we weren't notified. Not me, but some people actually quit other jobs to come work for UPS because of the hiring wage, and were NOT told it was temporary, and that's not ok. So what will you say...too bad for them, they should have known???? How would they have known????

I seriously don't care about what the driver's wages are so there is nothing to start about that, so what, they make more, they should. Us warehouse worker's work our asses off too, and are putting in time. I'm sure alot of the PT would like to become drivers. Those that do, do what they have to do. Not everyone PT wants to be a driver. This isn't about anything other than PT wages being cut back to contractual wages, which I believe was crappy for all PT workers involved, especially when UPS is boasting about their record profits the last 2 years.

Most on here will say to go vote or leave or go get another job. That's ok. Alot of us like our jobs, and are only upset about how everything went down. And thought it was ok to vent about it, I can see now it's not cuz we are PT, and haven't put in enough time to be upset about it.
You clearly haven’t worked here long enough to realize that HR isn’t forthcoming with information, management will tell you anything they think you might believe and that UPS can/will take away anything that they aren’t contractually obligated to provide. That includes attendance bonuses and turkeys. If you’re not happy with your contractual wages, seek employment elsewhere. Amazon pays around $22 an hour (depending on location), their health insurance costs about $125 a week out of your paycheck and you can get fired for too many bathroom breaks. I’d stick with the devil I know.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Just curious....Did you ask a union steward or a BA or anyone for that matter to attempt to find out whether your elevated pay rate was permanent? Or did you just assume it was because UPS never said otherwise?

Labelflipper

You better be extra nice too @Yeet
OK, I will. It's hard getting my point across that some PT just want PT, not looking to be driver's or anything else. Want to support PT brothers and sisters, not just hear to go somewhere else, cuz in reality, it's the same everywhere else, and why leave after 2.5 years (for me) and many more years for other PT, and start all over again. It's pretty discouraging, to say the least, that leaving seems to be the answer, instead of trying to make it better for everyone.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
OK, I will. It's hard getting my point across that some PT just want PT, not looking to be driver's or anything else. Want to support PT brothers and sisters, not just hear to go somewhere else, cuz in reality, it's the same everywhere else, and why leave after 2.5 years (for me) and many more years for other PT, and start all over again. It's pretty discouraging, to say the least, that leaving seems to be the answer, instead of trying to make it better for everyone.
If you want to support your PT brothers and sisters.....vote, read and learn the contract as it pertains to PTers, and if you don’t know something.....find a steward or a driver and ask questions. Even if they don’t know the answer, chances are they can point you in the direction of someone who does. One of the biggest issues that many FTers have with PTers is that most PTers don’t give a flying crap about the union or the contract until something happens that affect them and then it’s like.....waaah where’s my union solidarity???

Labelflipper

You clearly haven’t worked here long enough to realize that HR isn’t forthcoming with information, management will tell you anything they think you might believe and that UPS can/will take away anything that they aren’t contractually obligated to provide. That includes attendance bonuses and turkeys. If you’re not happy with your contractual wages, seek employment elsewhere. Amazon pays around $22 an hour (depending on location), their health insurance costs about $125 a week out of your paycheck and you can get fired for too many bathroom breaks. I’d stick with the devil I know.
No I haven't, only been at UPS 2.5 years. Yes, I do understand now, that all non-contractual things can be taken away at a moments notice. When I started, I was fine with what the contract said. Started at $14, got the first contractual increase to $14.50, and we got the COLA, 33 cents, then they started upping the pay and we were at $16 for a long while, and got $17 for a short while, but was on the retention line on paycheck, but still said $16 per hour on hourly pay, until the most recent MRA $19 per hour, then they changed that to hourly pay. Wish they would have said something, but they didn't. And I understand it is what it is.

I know most other company's don't offer benefits to PT, and know you are correct about the deduction weekly for insurance. It's alot, worked for places in the past that had to pay for insurance, and the insurance really wasn't that great. Used to get turkey's too, from another place I worked at...they stopped doing that too...LOL!! Bathroom breaks, don't do alot of that cuz only work PT...LOL!!!

Appreciate your comments, I will be sticking with UPS until they get rid of me, hopefully later than sooner.

Labelflipper

If you want to support your PT brothers and sisters.....vote, read and learn the contract as it pertains to PTers, and if you don’t know something.....find a steward or a driver and ask questions. Even if they don’t know the answer, chances are they can point you in the direction of someone who does. One of the biggest issues that many FTers have with PTers is that most PTers don’t give a flying crap about the union or the contract until something happens that affect them and then it’s like.....waaah where’s my union solidarity???
Thank you. And I understand. And it's true alot of PT don't give a crap. Got some to sign up for the Union when I did, others won't, cuz don't want to pay the dues. I'm in a RTW state, so ya know how that goes......

Labelflipper

When I was part time, I had a second full time job. Why do part timers these days expect to live on one part time job? Put down the Xbox and get to work. If you want a free ride get on welfare.
I don't think all PT expect that. I'm sure some do, but alot actually don't. The illusion is that only young kids are working the PT jobs, and it's just not true. All ages are working PT due to whatever their circumstances are in their life. Some people want to be involved with their kids, some people need to take care of elderly parents, some people can't physically work FT but can PT, retired people like it so they can still be connected in the workforce, .there are many reasons why people only want or need PT.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I don't think all PT expect that. I'm sure some do, but alot actually don't. The illusion is that only young kids are working the PT jobs, and it's just not true. All ages are working PT due to whatever their circumstances are in their life. Some people want to be involved with their kids, some people need to take care of elderly parents, some people can't physically work FT but can PT, retired people like it so they can still be connected in the workforce, .there are many reasons why people only want or need PT.
I can understand that, but the majority in my building only want to work enough to get by and won't even work their daily guarantee.

I can understand that, but the majority in my building only want to work enough to get by and won't even work their daily guarantee.
True mostly because most PT work a FT job along with UPS. Or they have school commitments they have to fill. Or family obligations. UPS advertises the job as PT and then expect you to make a FT commitment. With changing start times daily and sending people home early or demanding you stay late depending on the volume that day.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
True mostly because most PT work a FT job along with UPS. Or they have school commitments they have to fill. Or family obligations. UPS advertises the job as PT and then expect you to make a FT commitment. With changing start times daily and sending people home early or demanding you stay late depending on the volume that day.
That’s the problem with a lot of supplements...they need to address start times. I was fortunate that when I was a PTer in 804...their supplement had language regarding PT start times....whatever the start time was on Monday, the rest of the week start times couldn’t be more than 30 minutes later. Outside of peak, it kept sunrise start times fairly consistent. When I transferred locals, the new building would have say a sunrise start at 4:30am Tues-Fri but on Monday it would be 12:30am. That was a pain in the ass.

Labelflipper

I get what you're saying. Its true in my Hub too. Was trying to get word out that not all PT are like that, but can see now the majority are. I know it is the way it is, kinda sad, but will still try for the one's of us that aren't like that.