UPS driver apologizes after woman takes picture of truck blocking handicapped spot

oldngray

nowhere special
When I was driving I double parked in front of the Police Station, parked in front of the big doors at the Fire Hall, parked on the sidewalks at the school and generally parked anywhere I wanted BUT I didn't park in handicap spaces or block them. It was just my modus opperendi.

To me there is a difference between blocking open handicapped spots vs blocking cars in that are already parked there. You should be gone before they are ready to pull out.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
All the Insurance Company charts and Consumer Reports studies say you are full of crap. Teens are WAY more dangerous that older people.

Consumer%20Reports%20Dangerous%20Drivers%2010-12
Teens are def terrible drivers too

I would say most elderly accidents are minor. Can’t do much damage at 5 mph

Brownslave688

UPS said its drivers are trained to follow all traffic laws, including where they park.

Are you saying that UPS drivers are not trained to follow all traffic, laws including where they park?

Who told you this?
Sups changed their tune about 7-8 years ago. New directive was to block vehicles in. I’ve never been told otherwise since.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm 71. I won't even begin to think about not driving until I give up my motorcycles first. In the meantime if you don't like the way I drive -stay off the sidewalk.

rod

Retired 22 years
Yeah, but old drivers are not too far behind.
I never said they weren't. My point was they are still better drivers than teenagers. I do like that one thing I posted that said drivers in their 60's have just as safe a record as drivers in their 30's.

Brownslave688

I never said they weren't. My point was they are still better drivers than teenagers. I do like that one thing I posted that said drivers in their 60's have just as safe a record as drivers in their 30's.
I never once said teens were better drivers than old people. I simply said old people are generally bad drivers.

rod

Retired 22 years
Where does it say that?
  • Mile for mile, the crash rate for drivers age 16 and 17 is about 9x that for middle-aged drivers.
  • Mile for mile, the crash rate for drivers over the age of 80 is about 5.5x that of middle-aged drivers.
  • Drivers in their 60s have the same car accident rate as drivers in their 30s.
  • Teenagers ages 16 – 19 are more likely to be in a car accident than any other age group.
  • The car accident fatality rate for male drivers and passengers ages 16 – 19 is almost 2x that of females in the same age group.
  • The increased fatality rate in drivers over the age of 75 is largely due to injury and medical complications, NOT an increased tendency to get in accidents.

Brownslave688

That was always methods. If you have to block them in block them completely so they don't try to squeeze out and hit you.
For a long time we were told to not block people in and to park away from all vehicles if possible. Problem was we still had a high number or hit while parked.

oldngray

nowhere special
For a long time we were told to not block people in and to park away from all vehicles if possible. Problem was we still had a high number or hit while parked.

Hit while parked have always been a problem. No matter where you park UPS can say you could have parked somewhere else. They even tried to give warning letters to a couple of drivers who parked exactly where they were told and even put out cones. Those were grieved and thrown out. But showed the pressure coming down from corporate.

Brownslave688

remember you said that in a few years.
Here’s my opinion from what I generally see while driving 1000+ miles every week.

Teens are bad drivers because of being inexperienced, thinking they are invincible and being easily distracted. As far as pure driving skills teens would be fine if we could get them to pay attention and not take risks.

Elderly people (not every one of them) that are bad drivers. Are simply bad drivers. They’ve lost the skill and reaction time to drive safely.

Don’t worry by the time I’m that old I’ll just have one of them driverless cars whisk me away.