UPS Driver commits suicide

CRASH501

Wow after reading all of this i am truly speechless.
I have 7 years at big brown and there are times i love my job but not too many , for the most part i hate the long hours and little appreciation for all we do from management. After all its only about our numbers and what we can do for brown , not what can brown do for you , with not knowing jim it truly sounds like this man enjoyed his job and was devestated by his termination..... How many times have you been told " i dont care how you do it but no late airs or no missed pcs " we all know what is meant. But to be terminated for doing what you are taught is plain bullsh...
Janice all i can say is im sorry for your loss .
Please be strong.
And keep your head held high...........

chev

Nightcrawler
no steve, im talking about getting fired from a job that you have had for 20-30 years. a job that you have given your life too. then couple that with being fired for "dishonesty" of all things. i know what crap it does to your mind. it aint good, any of it.

d
I really have to agree from my point of view. I happen to be one of those type that have trouble dealing with change. Especially forced change. Putting the dishonesty charge on top would really mess with me too.
As much as I hate going to work some days, I honestly like my job. It is who I am now. It's too big a part of my life. Not to say I "bleed brown", but I have been here more than half of my life. I know I could move on but I would have a tough time letting that go completely.
Everyone deals with life issues differently. Some are very good at hiding it even from the people they are nearest to. :sad-little:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I agree with Daniel and Chev. It can be very devastating to lose a job that you have dedicated your life to. I lost a job several years back that I loved. I had no idea it was coming either. I was a wreck for weeks. Thank god I had a good support system. I know that I could never have done what Jim did but without the support it would have taken me alot longer to recover from this. I have chosen to make UPS a career and have no intention of going elsewhere. Knowing this, if for some reason I should be terminated in the future, I know it will be just as hard to deal with. I know what it's like to be fired for dishonesty. BTDT.

Janice, based on Daniels post, you are talking to him. You couldn't be in more capable hands. Keep talking! To friends and family, to whomever. Welcome to the Brownshed.

Steve, maybe you are right in that if Skid Mark had come in here and told us what happened, maybe we would have let him 'have it'. Maybe that would have been the wrong thing to do. It doesn't matter because he didn't. And in this case hindsight is not 20-20. In the state of mind that he, apparently, was in maybe someone would have said the wrong thing. There are those that can sometimes be pretty brutal.

MAYBE YES, MAYBE NO

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
dil

we might have let him have it, but we would have also told him of many drivers that have done it, and after anywhere from 1 to 21 days off, got their jobs back.

yes, management forces the issue with drivers that are really close on air. in some areas more than others.

but dealing with the issue is not the focus of this thread. there are so many ifs and whats on this case it breaks the heart. at least mine.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
dil

we might have let him have it, but we would have also told him of many drivers that have done it, and after anywhere from 1 to 21 days off, got their jobs back.

yes, management forces the issue with drivers that are really close on air. in some areas more than others.

but dealing with the issue is not the focus of this thread. there are so many ifs and whats on this case it breaks the heart. at least mine.

d
And mine as well Danny, and I agree with you. We will never know one way or the other if we would have been any help. Maybe to someone in the future. But I do know in my heart that you can help Janice.

chev

Nightcrawler
And mine as well Danny, and I agree with you. We will never know one way or the other if we would have been any help. Maybe to someone in the future. But I do know in my heart that you can help Janice.
Who knows? This thread alone may have already been that little bit of encouragement someone out there might need. Maybe someone that doesn't even post. I really hope it shows that there are people here that are willing to help out in many ways. :happy2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
chev

thank you. i guess that is what i have been trying to say.

no matter what, what ever you are going though, either someone has been down that path before, or we can help, if nothing more than holding your hand as you go down that path.

being alone, and feeling alone are two different things.

people that are very proficient in torture learned a long time ago that the vast majority of humans break when they feel they are alone in what they are going through. the alone does not have to be real, only their perception that they are alone.

you put that same person with others to where they can talk, their resistance to breakage becomes very great.

jim broke. not a personal failure mind you. but a failure in the system that broke him.

there are a lot of people right now that are suffering because of what happened, not only janice.

being/feeling alone is hell.

d

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
When confronted with change, some people fight, some people don't. Some see opportunity (albeit forced), some see the end of the world.

I agree w/Steve's point of view. From what he posts, I could see him working 30 years for UPS, and, if fired for some reason, he'd dust himself off, stand up & say "Next?" (Before you start slamming me, that was meant as a large compliment - as much as it pains me to do so)

I am the same way in that regard. It is just a job. To lose it, to be forced to change, sucks. So does life. Get a helmet.

I posted a prayer earlier on this thread, from the depths of my heart. It was honest. Is there a more cutting pain than losing a loved one, especially by his own hands? I think not. I pray Janice finds the strength to carry on, knowing it was not her fault, not anyone's fault. Although I find the idea of posting on a forum after a loved one's death utterly bizarre (I cannot think of a stronger word or I would use it) if it works for Janice, and we can help ease the pain, we should help.

We SHOULD NOT, however, feel that UPS is to blame for this. NOBODY does, nor will anyone EVER know what was going on in this man's head. Coming to the point of taking one's own life is cumulative - not any one occurrence causes it.

Lobofan5

We SHOULD NOT, however, feel that UPS is to blame for this. NOBODY does, nor will anyone EVER know what was going on in this man's head. Coming to the point of taking one's own life is cumulative - not any one occurrence causes it.

Oddly enough I began to work for UPS because my husband was let go of his job for 10 years with no warning or notice. I had been a stay at home mom for 4 years before that happened..then we had to move, change everything.and I needed a job FAST. The hours worked out for us..and the rest is history.

I post this because, today, almost 4 years exactly ago, I remember the look on my husbands face when he came home. When he told me. When it sunk in. I will never forget that. I will never forget that employer and what they did to my husband and to my family. To be thrown out like trash after years and years of dedicated service....

well, lets just say...UPS HAD A LARGE PART OF IT.

drewed

Shankman
Oddly enough I began to work for UPS because my husband was let go of his job for 10 years with no warning or notice. I had been a stay at home mom for 4 years before that happened..then we had to move, change everything.and I needed a job FAST. The hours worked out for us..and the rest is history.

I post this because, today, almost 4 years exactly ago, I remember the look on my husbands face when he came home. When he told me. When it sunk in. I will never forget that. I will never forget that employer and what they did to my husband and to my family. To be thrown out like trash after years and years of dedicated service....

well, lets just say...UPS HAD A LARGE PART OF IT.

This shouldnt be for discussion in this thread, both arguements have valid points, please dont make this thread a whos to blame thread.
Thanks

705red

Browncafe Steward
When confronted with change, some people fight, some people don't. Some see opportunity (albeit forced), some see the end of the world.

I agree w/Steve's point of view. From what he posts, I could see him working 30 years for UPS, and, if fired for some reason, he'd dust himself off, stand up & say "Next?" (Before you start slamming me, that was meant as a large compliment - as much as it pains me to do so)

I am the same way in that regard. It is just a job. To lose it, to be forced to change, sucks. So does life. Get a helmet.

I posted a prayer earlier on this thread, from the depths of my heart. It was honest. Is there a more cutting pain than losing a loved one, especially by his own hands? I think not. I pray Janice finds the strength to carry on, knowing it was not her fault, not anyone's fault. Although I find the idea of posting on a forum after a loved one's death utterly bizarre (I cannot think of a stronger word or I would use it) if it works for Janice, and we can help ease the pain, we should help.

This is not just a job for most of us. You dont purchase homes, cars and raise a family on just a job. Those are serious decisions and knowing that you have a career behind alot easier to make them.

You have not been at ups nearly enough time to understand what i am talking about, The majority of us have slaved working 2 and 3 jobs to get our shot at making a career out of it. The majority of us stood on picket lines protecting our careers, the majority of us understand the sacrafices and yes while we might complain from time to time that is our right as we have earned it in our career choice!

You have what about a year in? And you feel that gives you the right on how to determine what is a ups job or career?

What was your career before you came to ups or was it just a job?

As a union steward that represents people that get fired, i see the pain in the peoples eyes. I understand how hard it is for them to go home and tell their wives that they have just been fired, i have been fired 3 times and im still here. Why? Because its obvious all 3 times it was not a terminating offense, and the union decides on if the company was wrong.

I only wish jim would have waited and had his day at panel, but he didnt and for that i am truly sorry. And for those of you that say dont blame ups, bs, he was obviously taught how to do the pre recording by someone as i and other drivers have been. Some have the stones to say no i wont do this and others think they are helping their management team and do it and for what to get fired!

I am so sorry for derailing this thread but this was on my mind, janice my prayers are with you and yours. RED

Lobofan5

Im not blaming. Just stating its a factor not to be ignored.

I have been taught how to 'cheat' by the very people that could on a whim fire me for that very same activity.

My best wishes to the family. He sounded like a great guy. I'm sorry for your loss.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
please, bc members and guests,

if you want to make a political statement on mental health, assigning blame for what happened, please have the dignity to start your own thread.

this one is not the place.

please?

d

Cezanne

I decided to get back into this site to put my two cents on the senseless tragic death of a fellow UPSer. Depression is real and will effect most of us in some form or another whether your management or hourly. Please keep an eye on our fellow employees, family and friends. If the only positive thing that Jim's death would teach us is to stop this stupid "tom and jerry" labor relations system and start treating all people as you would want to be treated. There are no winners in this situation, everybody lost.

Several years ago we have a suicide on our building, 15 year employee. Nobody knows why, at work there was no hint to the depth of depression she was in. After we found out about it, nobody talked about, no counseling, nothing, like it never happed. I do remember a situation were it was brought to the attention of manager in the building during conversation and without thinking he remarked that "he half way felt sorry for writing up a warning letter on her". You should of seen the shocking reaction on the face of a supervisor who informed him over that remark. It is a sickness that all of us have to fight.

With the current crisis in the financial markets and all that it retains I expect more and more people feel that their whole world is collapsing on them. Any form of depression has to be treated immediately.

Hats off to Tie's previous post, it hit home on all points. Again I offer my prays for Jim's family and friends....

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
:sad: This thread has left me shaken. Perhaps it hits to close to home. I have sought help with depression in the past and hope I would again, if necessary. The perpetual dissatisfaction philosophy (Did you achieve that goal? It must have been to easy.) can really wear you down sometimes. I grieve for him, even not knowing him. Best wishes to you and yours.

skid mark

In Rememberance of Jimi
I am still here reading the posts everyday. I know some people don't understand why I am doing this, but it makes me feel connected to Jim. I would catch him up at 4 in the morning sometimes reading browncafe. It wanted to connected with other people in his situation. I think everyone who posts on this thread, whether I agree with everything that is said or not, I want to keep it going...........Thank you again for keeping Jimi's memory alive so other UPS employees can read about him......

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
janice

its good to hear you are doing alright considering......

the memory of jim is something that no one can take away. not ever.

jim is in good hands.

but our real concern is that of you and the kids, that everything is alright. and it is the ones left behind that struggle.

know that you are in our thoughts and prayers, and if there is something that the bc can help you with/through, please let us know.

we are, for all the infighting, family.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think everyone would agree with Danny sentiments. There are alot of people who care and will help as much as possible.

We give them back to you, dear Lord, who gave them to us.
Yet as you do not lose them in giving, so we have not lost them by their return.

I hope this gives you some solace.