UPS Driver commits suicide

LiL"Comet"

Janice,

I thought of you tonight when my employee I spoke w/ and got him in touch w/ EAP options. He called in sick tonight which is unlike him, almost startled at first as to what to say. I didn't mention anything about not coming in as most people think all management would about calling in sick during peak. I listened for a moment while he talked thinking exactly what or how to ask if he was really ok (sick). Not at all like he was maybe lying but away to ask if he was OK? I just simply asked ____ are you OK, is there anything I can do for you if this is in reference to your personal life now? He said no, he was getting through day by day and the counseling was helping.

So I left it at that reassuring him if he needed to talk or whatever to please don't hesitate to call me.

I hope he is OK and will be able to come back Wednesday I plan on giving him a call tomorrow around lunch to ask if he's coming in, really just to check on him.

Keep on Keeping on J you are doing a good job and we are very proud of you for having the courage to come here and share your life with us at BC:wink2:

You have helped me!!! :peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's nice to see that there are a some sup's that can see beyond the dollar sign and realize that we are, afterall, human beings. We all have problems and sometimes all it takes is for one person to notice that, to make a difference. Thanks Comet.

deepsouthmamaw

I am sooo sorry for your loss. I work for ups (27) years. My husband commited suicide 10/12/07. He Had cancer I had fmla leave in place management sent me a warning letter intent to fire to much time off. My husband recieved warning letter at home10/11/07. The note said ---- this is the best thing for you. Love -----

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
mammaw

so sorry to hear that you lost your husband that way.

there were times before fmla that ups had the option of working with each individual situation.

now, it seems that somewhere at ups, someone decided that we will go by the letter of the law, not the spirit. instead of making things better, they got made worse.

there would have been so many better ways to have handled that besides an impersonal letter.

d

LiL"Comet"

Mamaw,

I very sorry to hear of your loss I commend you to for going on and facing the reality of life. I could not even imagine what you have been through and J is now going through now. I don't know what I would do without my husband he is the love of my life and without him is life would not be the same. Your will always be in my prayers.

God bless you & Take care :wink2:

Camping Nana

May the peace that passeth all understanding flood your soul today!

I just looked at the pictures and read Jim's profile. Your signature to him - kind of hit me square between the eye - my husband and I often teach with the "I love you more" . I can't imagine the pain you must feel - may God give you strength, direction and guidance with all the decisions you will be making in the coming days, weeks and months!

tiegirl

tiegirl
Hello,

Is this a real story? I am shocked! If so I am deeply sorry for your loss. Not working for UPS is not the end of the world.

I hope you are able to seek recourse due to your loss.

May God Bless you.

Skid Mark has passed away, he killed himself on Mon Nov 17, 2008. He was fired from UPS for supposedly falsifying delivery records. He had recently filed grievances concerning the new satellite routes. He told me the management would harrass him after filling the grievences and only about 3 weeks later he is fired and commits suicide.

Signed
His Wife.....

tiegirl

tiegirl
Cumlative? 30 years at the same job, a well paying job. Cumlative and UPS had nothing to do with it. He was here for 30 years. What are you thinking? How his spouse greives is up to her, not you. She too has been with UPS for 30 years. Maybe she finds things familiar to her here.

Are you cold hearted or just a self centered idiot?

When confronted with change, some people fight, some people don't. Some see opportunity (albeit forced), some see the end of the world.

I agree w/Steve's point of view. From what he posts, I could see him working 30 years for UPS, and, if fired for some reason, he'd dust himself off, stand up & say "Next?" (Before you start slamming me, that was meant as a large compliment - as much as it pains me to do so)

I am the same way in that regard. It is just a job. To lose it, to be forced to change, sucks. So does life. Get a helmet.

I posted a prayer earlier on this thread, from the depths of my heart. It was honest. Is there a more cutting pain than losing a loved one, especially by his own hands? I think not. I pray Janice finds the strength to carry on, knowing it was not her fault, not anyone's fault. Although I find the idea of posting on a forum after a loved one's death utterly bizarre (I cannot think of a stronger word or I would use it) if it works for Janice, and we can help ease the pain, we should help.

We SHOULD NOT, however, feel that UPS is to blame for this. NOBODY does, nor will anyone EVER know what was going on in this man's head. Coming to the point of taking one's own life is cumulative - not any one occurrence causes it.

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
words canot begin to express my sorrow for you and your family. i know that now, there is nothing anyone can say to bring you peace. so i just pray that G-d wraps His arms around you. that you are comforted with the peace that only G-d can provide. my deepest sympathy for you and your family.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
nana

the jews believe and worship God.

then again, it might be you are right. there are those that hold the reverence of the name of God to such a high degree that they wont even mention it without the proper tone, attire, stance etc.

but its still ok. there are some of us that do have the reverence when we type God.

:happy2:

d

tieguy

Banned
nana

then again, it might be you are right. there are those that hold the reverence of the name of God to such a high degree that they wont even mention it without the proper tone, attire, stance etc.

but its still ok. there are some of us that do have the reverence when we type God.

d

I always kneel and bow my head when I type his name..:happy-very:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
psst tie (whispering)

tie, that is suposed to be His, capital H

you dont want that fury to be placed on your head man!

best regards from

another sinner

d

chev

Nightcrawler
nana

d
That is why I always spell God with a capital "G". Not just because it is a proper name, but out of respect.

Btw.....may God bless you today Janice. :wink2: I hope you are well today.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Condolences to the family :(. Suicide is always a painful subject.

I had a relative commit suicide in the months following 9/11. Rocked everyone who knew him to the core. 'Larger than life' was the repeated phrase at the wake, funeral and the following weeks, months and years. Months after he died, I was involved in a nasty car accident. I walked away. In the moments after the collision, I glanced behind me when a headlight blasted in my rear window. I swear I saw him sitting in the back seat. They're always with you. -Rocky