UPS Driver Qualification Standards = "Cherry-Picking"

InsideUPS

Qualifying to become a driver in our centers has become more and more of a "cherry-picking" event rather than a fair and equal process of enabling part-timers to go driving. Our current contract (Master/Central/Local Rider) fails to properly outline language that addresses specific qualifying standards. This language omission opens the door for UPS to selectively choose whom they want for drivers based on factors such as nepotism rather than bargaining unit seniority.

Although the Union does not recognize time standards once qualified, UPS does use time standards to qualify a driver. The problem with these "standards" is that they are constantly changing at the whim of an I.E. employee sitting behind a computer stroking his/her "keyboard" OR a simple matter of "favoritism". As most of you drivers know, each and every "qualifying" route can be very different with variability added each day depending on who dispatched the route and which inexperienced part-time office staff sent you a message that day instructing you to go help somone or pick up a UPS Store.

Qualifying in our building "used to be" a very straight forward process of running "scratch" for 5 consecutive days within a 30 day period. The route was to remain the same with no significant changes in stop range or area. The driver also was to remain working consistantly within that 30 day period. GONE are those days as unfortunately that qualifying criteria never made it to actually being included in contract language. Perhaps "Maintenance of Standards" could be used to defend a disqualified driver however that defense has always been weak IMHO.

UPS in our building is disqualifying long time part-timers that wish to go driving in alarming numbers thereby easily cirmunventing the 6:1 ratio of hiring 6 inside to 1 outside. I believe it is VERY important for our UPS negotiating committee to address this obsure issue on behalf of each and every part-timer who has put in his or her years waiting for a full-time job. In the meantime, I suggest that every part-time employee that was disqualified from driving file an Article 37 and/or a Maintenance of Standards grieveance forcing the company to show exactly why and how you were disqualified over those that were not disqualified. Be very detailed in your request for daily records and have your own daily notes to compare with their records. Daily documentation is your best offense. DO NOT depend on your Union BA alone to defend you. He is only as good as the information you are able to provide him.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Qualifying isn't that hard, you just go out there and show them that you can do the job. If you're unable to do that maybe the job isn't for you.

Griffin1820

File! File! File!
Well said.
I won my grievance and was awarded full time seniority because i had good documentation of every day I drove and was very detailed. When they said I had late air on day X I was able to quickly say the sort finished X minutes late and I was unable to leave the building until X. Im a green horn steward so I understand the importance of good documentation.

Yolo

In our building they will tell a bunch of people they are qualifying but just use them all as seasonals.

Like they will have 20 drivers hired for peak and they all think they will have a job after New Years.

Heavy Package

they will have 20 drivers hired for peak and they all think they will have a job after New Years.

True where I am at as well. These guys were all lined up outside the Center Manager's office like a police line up with long faces when their names were not listed on routes. All lead on by UPS. This is a shameful way to treat any employee-seasonal or otherwise- and the lies need to stop!

OVERRATEDusualsuspects.jpg

Ky0311

That's a good point, it used to be the consecutive 30 days on the same route but its pretty much "qualifying" where ever and whenever they need you now days. People in my building can barley make the 90 day period from being laid off all the time. They can't expect you to run scratch when your constantly tossed around.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Qualifying to become a driver in our centers has become more and more of a "cherry-picking" event rather than a fair and equal process of enabling part-timers to go driving. Our current contract (Master/Central/Local Rider) fails to properly outline language that addresses specific qualifying standards. This language omission opens the door for UPS to selectively choose whom they want for drivers based on factors such as nepotism rather than bargaining unit seniority.

Although the Union does not recognize time standards once qualified, UPS does use time standards to qualify a driver. The problem with these "standards" is that they are constantly changing at the whim of an I.E. employee sitting behind a computer stroking his/her "keyboard" OR a simple matter of "favoritism". As most of you drivers know, each and every "qualifying" route can be very different with variability added each day depending on who dispatched the route and which inexperienced part-time office staff sent you a message that day instructing you to go help somone or pick up a UPS Store.

Qualifying in our building "used to be" a very straight forward process of running "scratch" for 5 consecutive days within a 30 day period. The route was to remain the same with no significant changes in stop range or area. The driver also was to remain working consistantly within that 30 day period. GONE are those days as unfortunately that qualifying criteria never made it to actually being included in contract language. Perhaps "Maintenance of Standards" could be used to defend a disqualified driver however that defense has always been weak IMHO.

UPS in our building is disqualifying long time part-timers that wish to go driving in alarming numbers thereby easily cirmunventing the 6:1 ratio of hiring 6 inside to 1 outside. I believe it is VERY important for our UPS negotiating committee to address this obsure issue on behalf of each and every part-timer who has put in his or her years waiting for a full-time job. In the meantime, I suggest that every part-time employee that was disqualified from driving file an Article 37 and/or a Maintenance of Standards grieveance forcing the company to show exactly why and how you were disqualified over those that were not disqualified. Be very detailed in your request for daily records and have your own daily notes to compare with their records. Daily documentation is your best offense. DO NOT depend on your Union BA alone to defend you. He is only as good as the information you are able to provide him.
Very well written post, by someone I least suspected as being objective?

If this member of management can see it, shouldn't the Union?

MynameisNeigan

We have drivers that after 2 years can’t do a route. Or somehow screw something up every time they get on the road. We still wonder how they even got their drivers license

BrownStains

Running scratch 5 days is a bunch of crap. I did it and qualified but there is plenty of others that didnt and they are still driving full time. And i dont think they can disqualify you just for that.

Thegameisrigged

Qualifying isn't that hard, you just go out there and show them that you can do the job. If you're unable to do that maybe the job isn't for you.
Not necessarily. You may say that but they’re requiring drivers to run Orion 100 percent and scratch just to qualify. I can guarantee that you didn’t have such qualifications when you went driver OR if you do run Orion now, you aren’t finishing nearly as fast as they would like you to. You don’t be quick to blame a guy trying to qualify. At my center, about 9 guys went out to be a drivers and only one made it. They’re steadily increasing the qualifying standards on these guys and next to no one is making it. On top of that, the stop counts aren’t nothing like they used to be back when stops per car were around 140/150 and you pulled packages in trace order. Cars are doing 200+ and you’re pulling from random shelves. HUGE DIFFRENCE.

Indecisi0n

Remember you aren't a union member until you qualify. So your gripe is with UPS not the union. But I do agree with you.

Moving thread.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not necessarily. You may say that but they’re requiring drivers to run Orion 100 percent and scratch just to qualify. I can guarantee that you didn’t have such qualifications when you went driver OR if you do run Orion now, you aren’t finishing nearly as fast as they would like you to. You don’t be quick to blame a guy trying to qualify. At my center, about 9 guys went out to be a drivers and only one made it. They’re steadily increasing the qualifying standards on these guys and next to no one is making it. On top of that, the stop counts aren’t nothing like they used to be back when stops per car were around 140/150 and you pulled packages in trace order. Cars are doing 200+ and you’re pulling from random shelves. HUGE DIFFRENCE.
It's their company, they get to decide who they hire. If they want to go through 9 guys to get the one they want that's their choice. If they can't fill positions because their standards are too tough then they can change the standards, but again that's their choice.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's their company, they get to decide who they hire. If they want to go through 9 guys to get the one they want that's their choice. If they can't fill positions because their standards are too tough then they can change the standards, but again that's their choice.
....or maybe the Company is hiding behind that mantra, in order to keep from hiring from within???

That way, they can keep an employee in the part time ranks, while hiring from off the street for less money on the hour, no immediate benefits, and minimum vacations.
All the while claiming they had no choice, seeing they exausted the inside intent list.

I'm for sure seeing a bias from the Company for off street hiring.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It’s their company , they can run it into the ground if they want???.....I’ve heard that line a few hundred times over the years..

babboo25

Banned
It’s more than just running scratch, telematics plays a huge role in their decision. If you have back firsts, recording while idling, bulkhead, seatbelt violations or excessive backs you more than likely won’t qualify.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

To a degree you are right.

But, in all fairness.... opportunities should be equal.

Can a management person (on road sup) provide a demonstration ?

Let's see how well they perform. On a daily basis.

Anyone can have a good day.

....or maybe the Company is hiding behind that mantra, in order to keep from hiring from within???

That way, they can keep an employee in the part time ranks, while hiring from off the street for less money on the hour, no immediate benefits, and minimum vacations.
All the while claiming they had no choice, seeing they exausted the inside intent list.

The easiest way to combat that is;

Anyone disqualified on training routes, needs to grieve it.

Make the company prove it can be done. They will finally admit that it can't.

Hiring off the street ?

Look at the pool of candidates.

Where would they find the time, to run a route.... without their phone ?

-Bug-

upschuck

So they hire a higher paid person with benefits after a month or two, instead of a lower paid person with no benefits for a year? Most places, those higher paid inside people have had their chance to go driving and passed it up, and don't want the job.

If they do have a bias, it is not for the cost savings.