UPS Driver Responds to the Haters

PT Car Washer

The word “continual” is a subjective word. That’s why it has to be brought to a panel. Because the company will abuse it.
Oh I know that. For a while I was going out with a FT sup everyday running a ground route being basically a runner at top driver rate. The Union put a stop to that and a couple of laid off delivery drivers had a large grievance check. Since is not the same thing.

HarryWarden

You don’t want to learn here. You came in with your mind made up.

He should be used to deliver ground. In emergencies.

Real emergencies. The rest of the time, the work should go to an adequately staffed group of RPCDs or 25.13s.
Lol, I said I want to learn and you tell me I don’t. Ok

So why is the company not creating a full time position then?

And so me, as a part timer, trying to make extra money, is it wrong for me to double as much as possible? Is that not taking away a 22.3 job?

PT Car Washer

Because it’s not his job? Because he’s the one constantly on here getting you whipped up about part-time pay? Because he tries to act high mighty about contractual language, and how bad the contracts are, and yet he violates it daily, knowingly, even gloats about it? So in your opinion, the company doesn’t need to follow a contract and as far as you know, nobody wants to do the work? Or maybe they just don’t know about it because of people like him? Or maybe people like you? What other things do you think we should allow the company to do as long as nobody says anything?
Does not happen everyday. Only on an exception bases.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

And so me, as a part timer, trying to make extra money, is it wrong for me to double as much as possible? Is that not taking away a 22.3 job?
The company isn’t making a full time position because they would have to pay more pension money.

HarryWarden

Because it’s not his job? Because he’s the one constantly on here getting you whipped up about part-time pay? Because he tries to act high mighty about contractual language, and how bad the contracts are, and yet he violates it daily, knowingly, even gloats about it? So in your opinion, the company doesn’t need to follow a contract and as far as you know, nobody wants to do the work? Or maybe they just don’t know about it because of people like him? Or maybe people like you? What other things do you think we should allow the company to do as long as nobody says anything?
Ok, and I’m a loader, unloading is not my job. So it wrong for me to pick up double shifts?

PT Car Washer

The company will argue that it is a daily or seasonal fluctuation in volume and does not justify another FT position. The same thing they say when I help with deliveries or pick ups.

HarryWarden

The company isn’t making a full time position because they would have to pay more pension money.
Now what if there wasn’t such a large gap between full time and part time workers, wouldn’t that make the company want to create more full time jobs?

If a part time worker and full timer are making the same hourly wage, it would be cheaper to have 1 full time worker vs 2 part time workers, even with the pension

HarryWarden

Loading and unloading are not defined in the contract as classification jobs. They are work instructed and are interchangeable. jobs Sorry try again.
Yet we have 22.3 positions that are loading/unload, so how does that work?

It’s wrong of me to pick up as many double shifts as possible? Me doing so is taking away from opening a 22.3 job by your argument

Thebrownblob

The company will argue that it is a daily or seasonal fluctuation in volume and does not justify another FT position. The same thing they say when I help with deliveries or pick ups.
Sorry, we already have contractual language to hire seasonal full-time drivers and vacation coverage. Please try again.

PT Car Washer

Now what if there wasn’t such a large gap between full time and part time workers, wouldn’t that make the company want to create more full time jobs?

If a part time worker and full timer are making the same hourly wage, it would be cheaper to have 1 full time worker vs 2 part time workers, even with the pension
That was the Unions position when they first allowed PT package handlers. The problem is all of these new guys think this is the way things have always been with minimum wage PT Union members. It isn't.

Thebrownblob

Yet we have 22.3 positions that are loading/unload, so how does that work?

It’s wrong of me to pick up as many double shifts as possible? Me doing so is taking away from opening a 22.3 job by your argument

That’s inside work your of course, are able to do double shift by seniority. I as a driver cannot come and bump you.

HarryWarden

That’s inside work your of course, are able to do double shift by seniority. I as a driver cannot come and bump you.
So what’s the difference to you though? I thought this was about taking away full time jobs? How is me doubling as much as possible not taking away a 22.3 job? That’s a full time job.