UPS Feeder hit by train

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
According to the article, a UPS Freight feeder was making a delivery and part of the tractor was parked on the train tracks. It sounds like the driver tried to move the truck when he saw the gates coming down but he actually moved it right into the path of the train. The driver was in the cab when it was hit and he is in critical condition.

http://www.delawareonline.com/artic...llide-Newark?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|s

Uh the article says he was finished with his delivery and leaving. I have no idea what happened and I hope the driver is ok but something doesn't seem right here.

alwaysoverallowed

Newarkpostonline.com has a better version of what happened. The intersection has been a mess forever. Go to google maps and search for deer park tavern newark, de and you'll see how it's a blind turn. I heard the drivers in bad shape. as far as the accident apparentlly he was moving before the arms came down or the lights came on and got hung up on the arm where it meets the poll so he was stuck.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Who knows? Maybe this guy just got in a hurry. Either way, this person fell asleep. No way should you ever get yourself in this position. Because this is what could happen.

YesYouDidPushAButton

I don't understand what the truck/trailer was "stuck" on. It's a tractor, there's a train coming, put it to the floor. It will move and rip any pole/arms whatever right out of the ground.

gwood

come on people...what does it matter now? He's UPS and he is in critical condition. You might just think of a way to help support him and his family through this terrible time!

A

anonymous6

watching the video it is kinda confusing. you can't tell if the warning arms and lights were on. or they came down too late. it seems that way. the driver pulled forward and just a second later the train hit.

his family should sue the friend&#$ out of CSX!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
No need to beat up this poor guy; he paid a big price for his mistake. What we can do is learn from his mistake. Particularly in feeders, never have any uncertainty around railroad tracks. From the video, it's hard to tell what the driver was trying to do. Maybe he just panicked, and froze when he saw the train. It is easy to watch the video and say, "WTF!?" But you shouldn't get yourself in a position where you're that close to the tracks. I wouldn't make a pickup/delivery if his park position was close to the railroad tracks. They said he just got done making the pickup/delivery, and that that the pickup/delivery was pretty close to the tracks.

Either way, I wouldn't be moving near that crossing until I was SURE it was clear. If that means I hold up everyone behind me, and they miss the light, then they miss the light.

trouble maker

You know, I do hope that the driver will recover and not have life long affects from this accident. However, I don't think that the Ups freight drivers have the same training as our feeder drivers do. I see them all the time, "hammering" down the road with their foot in the radiator. They disregard speed limits, switch lanes when your not supposed to, ride in the 3rd lane, and speed in construction zones to name a few. I have yet to ever pass one going down the road. We have the freight guys, and Fed ex has their infamous Fed ex ground ***holes.