Ups Freight You Have A Choice!

U

UPS Freight worker

My terminal is all ready to join the union. 80% of us know that the future of any UPS company is with the Teamsters. Once the Indy contract is reached, then we will join. We don't expect much from the first contract, but we are all looking to get some real job security. Without the teamsters in our corner we don't feel we have a chance. The overnite way is over, suggs is gone and we are now UPS and UPS is a Teamster company.

ducky13swing

LILGUY nobody is saying we don't need a union. What we are saying is we need our own union.I can guarentee you if all UPS employees belong to the APWA the IBT would haveto go after fedex or they would be out of business.the fact of the matter is without UPS there is no IBT pension fund!ANY122
I was not implying that we don't need a union at UPS. Personally, I like the idea of the APWA. It appears that the APWA would really benefit UPS employees. If I could I would vote for it, I would. What I was saying is that if FedEx employees join with the IBT, then your multiemployer pension plan would be used to support the retirement of the competition. I was also suggesting that FedEx probably would not be around much longer if the IBT were voted in. Another thought would be to get FedEx employees to vote on joining the APWA. Just a thought.
I was mainly comparing the two companies.

S

Spaceman8

Actually as of april of this year, all of fed ex's "independent contractors" are now classified as employess. They already have a terminal in New Jersey that has Joined the IBT. The pre-tax hit fed ex is looking at is the same as the gross profit from all of last year 1.4 billion.

Can anyone confirm this??? Don't believe this...where you getting your facts from?

mittam

fedex won't ever be invited to join the APWA , the APWA is for UPS employees only no multi employers as is the current situation

U

ups freight driver

As far as your almost unreadable post is concerned. Don't join the union. We do not need your pension money. We have our own. Might work out good for us. If you don't join, they'll make all of you their buttboys and make all of the cuts they need to make over there. How was that $.50 cent raise and raise in your benefit cost???:laugh: In one pocket and right out the other.

the $.50 put us somewhere at $21 hour and the raise in healthcare cost? it went down, actually the company pays for all of it I have extra AD&D and extra long term disability and pay $12 per month.

Hows your comapny match 401k? and union dues?

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
the $.50 put us somewhere at $21 hour and the raise in healthcare cost? it went down, actually the company pays for all of it I have extra AD&D and extra long term disability and pay $12 per month.

Hows your comapny match 401k? and union dues?

For more than 21 an hour we manage all right.:lol: We don't get a match in our 401K but we get a 10% discount on compny stock. The stock has been a real winner in the past for most.. Were not saying that you should join the teamsters, we are saying you should unionize. Yeah, you will have to pay union dues but the going rate for full scale union freight haulers is around 24 too 25 an hour. There were alot of you terminals that voted in the union before and you had an owner that wouldn't recognize the contract. Now you have a company that will recognize a union labor aggreement. Yeah you might have to pay a little every month to the union, but if you can and make an extra 3 to 4 dollars an hour and have union representation to boot you have got to be crazy not to take it. One thing you guys are going to learn about this company is that they are fire happy. Anytime you have an accident the will shut you down a few days to investigate, if it turns out to be your fault you will most likely be walked out. Without a greivance procedure, where are you going to turn to get your job back??

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Originally Posted by Spaceman8
Can anyone confirm this??? Don't believe this...where you getting your facts from?

There have been blurbs about this story for the past year as far as I know in local paper's business section and in Wall St. Journal. It is true, group of ICs in Mass. and in California have had enough with being self employed, lease their truck, buy their gas, get suckered into it by thought of making big $$$ and after all is said and done, they are living below poverty. That's after working 14 hour days. To top it off, as ICs you would think you work for yourself, but from what I read and heard, there are more and more FedEx managers telling them what to do. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...sounds to me that they are EMPLOYEES of the Fedex empire. Gotta give a tip of the hat to those dudes who got the ball rolling. Some were fired, harrassed, probably :censored2:ed with in other ways for testifying to NLRB. I guess you don't mess around with Fred S's "business model" of having the efficiency of three of his company's drivers do the job of one UPS driver. (dripping with sarcasm i hope you realize.

Once Fred has to take on the full labor costs involved--employees, their payroll, their benefits, vehicles ,fuel, maintenance, and actually pay these ICs who really are employees--whatever profits he thought he was going to make will be a wash. His outperforming stock will tank also.

Unions had their place when our grandparents were working in factories at the age of 5 and working 25 hours a day. I have been a Teamster, a supervisor at UPS, a courier at Fedex. They have their place in today's world also, but if they can't manage UPS's contribution to the Teamster pension fund, and do it without mismanagement, I'd be concerned if I was a UPS Teamster.

You have to believe that as much of a-holes your immediate boss may be, UPS is the largest contributor to that fund, correct. I would bet they make their payments promptly for the benefit of their own employees receiving a pension when they retire. What happens when the IBT screws with the money, you go to retire and the IBT tries to blame no money or mismanagement on UPS?

Hate to say it but the brotherhood doesn't have a real good reputation with handling things. If there was an alternative, it may be worth looking into. IF I was the one writing those checks to the IBT, I would want to be damned sure it went to my (UPS) employees. Yeah you are all brothers, but in the end do you really give a crap about the teamster working for Joe's trucking when it comes to getting your pension? When it comes to money, give me mine and I'll decide what charity I want to share it with. Just food for thought.

rngri4

Re: Ups Frieght You Have A Choice!

well driver I have seen IBT members shoot at our drivers throw bricks at us and now they want us to join yea ok.where use to that treatment from the IBT

Good for you, you've been shot at and had bricks thrown at you. Heres my little pat on the back, as a Former State Trooper for a number of years before finishing my degree and going to work for UPS, I was shot, stabbed, hit over the head with a brick, and hit with a baseball bat....stop your whining, I don't have any sympathy, but my scars still stay with me.

any122

adirondack man
Re: Ups Frieght You Have A Choice!

well thats my point panther pi-- this is the general mentallity of the IBT MOB .there is a difference between criminals and your so called brothers!

any122

adirondack man
As far as your almost unreadable post is concerned. Don't join the union. We do not need your pension money. We have our own. Might work out good for us. If you don't join, they'll make all of you their buttboys and make all of the cuts they need to make over there. How was that $.50 cent raise and raise in your benefit cost???:laugh: In one pocket and right out the other.
Read the TDU site it looks like give backs our on the way for the central states freight and UPS teamsters.SO hold onto your wallet!

any122

adirondack man
We won't be scabs.Go APWA better more secure trustworthy more viable, positive and stronger union.Also a 100%funded pension,health and welfare package.

STLFeeder

Need LS7 powered PKG car
We won't be scabs.Go APWA better more secure trustworthy more viable, positive and stronger union.Also a 100%funded pension,health and welfare package.

Thats what I was saying, we are not telling you to join the IBT, we are just telling you to join a union. Your gonna need it with big brown...

southerngrits

UPSFreight Greenville SC

this is what pisses me off about the teamsters, now I haven't made my decision about the union since I work with UPSFreight, however it infuriates me that if you don't praise the teamsters they call you names and threaten with violence.... my God guys this ain't the 70's or 80's anymore. I can tell you this much we have been talking at our service center and the APWA seems to be the best choice. I am sick of what I have seen over the years and read about the teamsters and there thug ways. I guarantee, if any thug messed with my family, I would hold the union leader responsible. I may not know everything about the union yet, but I am very good at reading... and I just want to say " why would I join any group that if you don't say what they want to hear, they call you a scab or something"... my opinion, I think all the UPS employees should pull out off the teamsters and join the APWA and quit paying for all the non contributing companys pensions.. this is our money, we should keep it for our employees...... of course I will be called names because teamsters know that if UPS left central states that the union would go bust in weeks, they need UPS employees, not the other way around

I say go for the APWA and protect our hard working asses....

I am pretty sure know the very same guys who want my vote for the teamster will be the first to call me a scab.... oohhh I'm shaking..

this very thing pisses me off so bad.:bored:

masters child

Going to work for UPSFreight

Can someone tell me about the company such as how many miles does a team average a week.About how long does it take to get a single run.I am thinking of joining up in the Dallas area.Also do they force you to work weekends when you are new.:thumbup1: :thumbup1:

any122

adirondack man
Re: Going to work for UPSFreight

Can someone tell me about the company such as how many miles does a team average a week.About how long does it take to get a single run.I am thinking of joining up in the Dallas area.Also do they force you to work weekends when you are new.:thumbup1: :thumbup1:
If you're asking about UPSfrieght teams average4000to6000 a week. As far as weekends it depends on the bid.Depends when a sigle bid comes up.Hope i helped you out:w00t: