UPS hands stockholders $700 million as workers face poverty wages

F

Frankie's Friend

Yep, poverty wages. Sad really, when I was an ORS I couldn't even begin to count the number of drivers in my center that had to be on food stamps...
You mean after the progression went to four years when the union sold out workers to get the insurance money?

ACmoses

Greedism destroys all forms of economies and government. Money and power are the root to all evils around the world. The CEO of UPS makes over $30,000.00 per day 365 days a year. I still believe in capitalism but without a strong middle class the US will not remain a true democracy. The ignorant are breeding much faster than the educated in America. I shake my head when many welfare recipients who claim to be conservative support tax cuts for the rich. They have no clue that the hardworking middle class pay a much larger fraction of their incomes for their benefits. Unfortunately the momentum of greed in our country is out of control and will be very difficult to reign in.

reginald95

Hard to feel bad for part-time lifers. Part-time work is not meant to be livable. If that were the case no one would want to work full-time with UPS. In any walk of life you are supposed to improve your situation by promotion or applying for another job instead of blaming others. I was a lowly part-time worker for years till my name came up and decided to be an adult and gain meaningful full-time employment.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Yep, poverty wages. Sad really, when I was an ORS I couldn't even begin to count the number of drivers in my center that had to be on food stamps...
Sarcasm - Warning sign.jpg

theres tons of critiques of ups on this forum.

as capitalism continues to break down in America, there will b more specific critiques of capitalism like this article
Ups pays part timers about $35 an hour. Twice as much as your system does.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Poverty happen when you are part time, disabled, and unemployed not full time.

However, poverty level is ignoring healthcare cost, so it is a rigged government system like COLA and labor rate index. Government doesn't want to keep paying out food stamp, medical, and cash to people if they abide to the "correct" poverty level.
It is my contention that the Government/Big Business (one in the same), pretend to be concerned about entitlements, but really aren't.
They actually depend on them, in every form, to perpetuate what I term "The Siphon".

"The Siphon" is dependent on the entitlement system, where every penny extracted in taxes from working Americans and subsequently redistributed in entitlements, is spent on goods and services that are provided for and profited from by Corporate America.
The lions share of the profits are realized by the mega-rich and are squirreled away in off shore accounts, while being disproportionately under taxed, never again to see the light of day or be reentered into the economy.

This in my opinion is the single biggest factor that is driving the ever widening disparity of wealth in America and what is killing the middle class.

If it doesn't change soon, we will find ourselves back in a similar feudalistic existence as the ones our forefathers came here to escape.

Last edited:

rickyb

It is my contention that the Government/Big Business (one in the same), pretend to be concerned about entitlements, but really aren't.
They actually depend on them, in every form, to perpetuate what I term "The Siphon".

"The Siphon" is dependent on the entitlement system, where every penny extracted in taxes from working Americans and subsequently redistributed in entitlements, is spent on goods and services that are provided for and profited from by Corporate America.
The lions share of these profit that are realized by the mega-rich are squirreled away in off shore accounts, while being disproportionately under taxed, never again to see the light of day or be reentered into the economy.

This in my opinion is the single biggest factor that is driving the ever widening disparity of wealth in America and what is killing the middle class.

If it doesn't change soon, we will find ourselves back in a similar feudalistic existence as the ones our forefathers came here to escape.
david cay Johnston has covered the tax system and has described it as Niagara falls in reverse instead of trickle down