UPS Holiday Surcharges

KOG72

I’m full of it
Had an overweight package one time that weighed over 200 pounds.They said go ahead and take it out since it made it this far.Package was put at the back of the 700 I was driving,pulled up to house no one home I just rolled it out of the truck on the ground in front of there garage.Let them move it when they get home.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I didn't think NDA packages have a weight restriction.
I have heard this as well...

When I was a preloader, one day I got a huge tractor part that was over 200lbs NDA and I stopped the belt because I didn't know what to do with it because I didn't think we shipped stuff that heavy. Supervisor said load it so me and 3 others got it in the PC and I guess the driver had the people forklift it out.

Then on other pick ups I've done there are notes in the diad that say "ignore weight". Well how the hell do they expect us to "safely" get an over weight package into our PC? I haven't had to deal with that yet, but I would refuse to pick anything up over 150lbs.

KOG72

I’m full of it
I have heard this as well...

When I was a preloader, one day I got a huge tractor part that was over 200lbs NDA and I stopped the belt because I didn't know what to do with it because I didn't think we shipped stuff that heavy. Supervisor said load it so me and 3 others got it in the PC and I guess the driver had the people forklift it out.

Then on other pick ups I've done there are notes in the diad that say "ignore weight". Well how the hell do they expect us to "safely" get an over weight package into our PC? I haven't had to deal with that yet, but I would refuse to pick anything up over 150lbs.
Ignore weight???? Screw that 150 pounds is the limit that's what I would tell them.If they wanted me to pick that up they better send some help.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Ignore weight???? Screw that 150 pounds is the limit that's what I would tell them.If they wanted me to pick that up they better send some help.
Not sure if it was the same place or not one driver refused to pick up an overweight package from there before because they had it on a pallet all strapped and everything. I guess he got in a screaming match with someone there and ended up ripping the straps off or something, but never got in trouble for it lol.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I saw a newbie pick up a full sized refrigerator with a call tag
No box just a big white refrigerator

Sat in the building all summer
Don't know whatever happened to it

Oak

Just tonight I had a 140 pound package come in as a NI1 that was a will call. NO over-70 sticker. NO overweight tape. ALL the way through the system and wtf? I put overweight all the hell over it and left it on a cart.

oldrps

FedEx's billing system doesn't have the flexibility to charge a different rate during certain periods.
They'll need to upgrade their billing system.

FedEx already charges for certain periods, the fuel surcharge, it changes every month. I am sure the fuel surcharge has a start and end date to properly charge their customers. I doubt it would be hard for them to add a surcharge for one week a year if there is money in it for them.

km3

I didn't think NDA packages have a weight restriction.

Article 44 section 3... Packages over 150 pounds shall not be picked up. However, if such a package is discovered in the UPS system, the package shall not be handled by a bargaining unit employee unless such a package can be reasonably broken down which do not exceed 70 pounds.

Technically UPS can make the weight restriction 900 pounds if they wanted to. If it's over 150, we don't even have to touch it. Nothing they can do.

Had an overweight package one time that weighed over 200 pounds.They said go ahead and take it out since it made it this far.

On the preload irreg sort they tried that with me. I told them if they could get it onto a cart I'd move the cart, but that I'm not laying a single finger on the package itself.

"It made it this far, we might as we--"
"NO!! Move it yourself if you want it to go out today!"

Over 70

What's with the surcharge for parcels over 150lbs. Those should never be delivered. They should be returned to the shipper through freight.

I had a 170#er come down the belt the other day. Loaded it on the guy who just got back from triple hernia surgery's truck. Haha

But yeah, I didn't understand why it wasn't returned to sender with a fee for the bull:censored2:.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Crated elevator part. Shipped overnight. How many hands did that parcel have to pass through to get to it's destination? Had someone stopped it somewhere along the way a service provider would still have a job.

...or if said service provider had followed the 8 keys to lifting and lowering...