UPS is starving drivers and mass are quitting!

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
Since UPS went public, there is no comparing the company before and after.
My 20 years before, compared to my 10 years after, was like working for different company.

Brownwind

We're only a 50 driver center. We've had about 10-12 quit (not retire) in my 8 years. 3 had almost 20 years in, the rest were 2 years or less.
Just have to decide how bad you need the $ or for how long. Get debt free & build a decent savings then you can leave
Good observation. Once you are debt free your outlook changes.
Many are realizing the money they make isn’t going get them an apartment on the route they deliver to and realize the stupidity isn’t worth it. Most of us on here are fortunate enough to be where we are.
Can you imagine starting over again??

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The fact here is everybody who was going to quit, quit last year. Same with retirees. Don't matter if you are working 14 hours or chasing inside work on layoff. We had some really odd folks then, two guys I would always see on their cellphones, didn't matter what time of day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lots of drivers in my building have “special education”.
????

ups-investigates-racy-photo-taken-in-delivery-truck-in-okc.1385441668000.jpeg

finaddict

I’m feeder out of a building in Utah. I have friends who are package car drivers, and Management won’t even let the senior guys take a layoff to help the lower guys. They are straight up being 🤬 holes
Feeders in VA here, we've had a list for unpaid week off in slow months for last couple years. They offer the week because they don't have to pay benefits and gets on-call guys working but wont do a single unpaid day because it doesn't benefit them.

AKCoverMan

Feeders in VA here, we've had a list for unpaid week off in slow months for last couple years. They offer the week because they don't have to pay benefits and gets on-call guys working but wont do a single unpaid day because it doesn't benefit them.
We have language for daily layoff rules, have to allow senior member to take junior member’s layoff day. With a few senior people who are fine with just 3-4 days of work a week can keep junior hungry people working during slow periods or when not lot of vacations scheduled.

Pullman Brown

I’m not sure if this is happening anywhere else but here in Utah centers are losing drivers every week! one center in Moab Utah lost 20 drivers last week because they are dispatching drivers with 14 hour days and laying off 20+ drivers a day.

UPS is screwed by June if people keep quitting because you won’t have enough cover drivers for summer

If these are RPCDS then file 9.5 grievances.

542thruNthru

I’m not sure if this is happening anywhere else but here in Utah centers are losing drivers every week! one center in Moab Utah lost 20 drivers last week because they are dispatching drivers with 14 hour days and laying off 20+ drivers a day.

UPS is screwed by June if people keep quitting because you won’t have enough cover drivers for summer
If that's really happening then your drivers are a bunch of push overs.

Guarantee you do that in my center the 9.5 pay outs would be thru the roof, 8 hour requests would be weekly with the full 10% and the work comp claims would almost triple. Drivers would conspire together on how to miss deliveries and pickups.

The building would look like 2020.

vvv

....or a way to "strong arm" everyone to vote yes on whatever contract is offered to them.
How would the be viewed as strong arming someone for a vote? I would approach that exactly the opposite.

I'm sure those hours suck, but with 4 months left you'd have to be a fool to quit before seeing what direction things are heading in. Then if hours and 9.5 language in general are fixed and in your favor then you go seeking payback in a ruthless way and lay that hammer.

ManInBrown

I haven't seen a single driver quit in the 16 years I've been here. Not exactly easy to find another 6-figure job that needs no special education.
Some resign in feeders if they fail a drug test. Not sure the reasoning behind that. Maybe UPS can’t share that information with a future employer if you resign. One package driver quit. Had a side hustle and finally went all in and left to devote all his time to that. Started his own business.

margaritaville

I haven't seen a single driver quit in the 16 years I've been here. Not exactly easy to find another 6-figure job that needs no special education.
I remember one quitting to travel the country in a Van. That's nice but i can just use my vacations to do road trips and check off the whole country in like 3 years. Then retire early and travel in a nice RV more.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.

I vacationed in Moab 7 or 8 years ago, I drove by the center, it's hard to believe that they had 20 drivers total back then.

Commercial Inside Release

Tourist traps like Moab don't want a bunch of striking workers, might hurt the local online reviews and be bad for business.

It will bite them, though. Moab average house price is $630k, and rentals reflect the expensive market. No one is going to pay $630k to live miles from nowhere, and huck cardboard in 100°friend.