UPS is starving drivers and mass are quitting!

AKCoverMan

If they eliminate the 22.4 and major concessions dont happen. As it is right now 22.4 drivers wouldn't earn $41 an hour for another 4-5 years without that language being removed, making it an 8-10 year progression.
The exsiting language already stipulates that none goes thru progression more than once. 22.4 (b) 9.

542thruNthru

If they eliminate the 22.4 and major concessions dont happen. As it is right now 22.4 drivers wouldn't earn $41 an hour for another 4-5 years without that language being removed, making it an 8-10 year progression.
You mean a wait not progression. What's funny is before 22.4s many areas had a 8 to 10 year wait to go driving and then a 3 or 4 year progression on top of that.

It amazes me how many people think it was great before 22.4s. 9.5 language was worse. It took 4 years to get that as well except for certain circumstances.

JustDeliverIt

Quite opposite here, they’re doing everything they can to keep the lower seniority working, older guys taking days, bulk trips being built etc. Back when I started in the late 80’s we just put up with the day to day layoffs and slow times, just waiting for our chance, nowadays not so much.

Here they laid off a bunch of low seniority PT cover and 22.4’s. Some work preload during the week and drive Saturdays, others just work when needed. Had a PT cover ask a top rate RPCD to work for them Friday. Supe wouldn’t give him a layoff day, said he had to work even though PT’er never worked. Don’t get it.

kforte36

The exsiting language already stipulates that none goes thru progression more than once. 22.4 (b) 9.
Well what I'm saying is that if that language isn't removed then those drivers would still be 22.4s. Their pay after 4 years with the $4 raise on top of the 30.64 hourly rate plus the $1.82 COLA would be about $36.50 or so. It would take another 4 years or so to get to $41 that RPCDs are at now given each year has give or take a $1 increase in hourly pay.

kforte36

You mean a wait not progression. What's funny is before 22.4s many areas had a 8 to 10 year wait to go driving and then a 3 or 4 year progression on top of that.

It amazes me how many people think it was great before 22.4s. 9.5 language was worse. It took 4 years to get that as well except for certain circumstances.
Yes an 8-10 year wait. But even then there's no guarantee that in future contracts that language would be removed even if a driver waits as a 22.4 driver for that long. Before this language drivers waited a certain time but once they became drivers they weren't subjected to a lower payscale to do the same job.

JustDeliverIt

Well what I'm saying is that if that language isn't removed then those drivers would still be 22.4s. Their pay after 4 years with the $4 raise on top of the 30.64 hourly rate plus the $1.82 COLA would be about $36.50 or so. It would take another 4 years or so to get to $41 that RPCDs are at now given each year has give or take a $1 increase in hourly pay.

If someone is at top rate 22.4 and then goes to RPCD they are instantly top rate RPCD. You only go through one progression.

And our 22.4’s aren’t getting through 2 years before getting bumped up to RPCD. At that point you slot into RPCD progression at the same point as you were for 22.4.

kforte36

If someone is at top rate 22.4 and then goes to RPCD they are instantly top rate RPCD. You only go through one progression.

And our 22.4’s aren’t getting through 2 years before getting bumped up to RPCD. At that point you slot into RPCD progression at the same point as you were for 22.4.
In my center it's been over 3 years and not one 22.4 driver has become an RPCD.

Was there a limit on RPCDs in the last Contract?

Knowing full well that the Company will not create any new RPCD positions and in fact will be eliminating them if the opportunity presents itself.
If I remember correctly. They had to agree upon a set amount of rpcd drivers. So maybe they have one or two more they agreed upon but they was not going to demote them backwards.
And if the company wanted any more 22.4 drivers for every position they created they would have to create three more rpcd drivers