UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

PMT h8r

This may be old news but I heard when they split the SCS Help desk between Canada and India the eventual goal was to have it all go to India. The split to Canada was to train on more complicated apps before sending support over to India. They had to go to Canada because there were no H-1B visas available for the US so they couldn't bring the Indian workers into the US to train them. I read this somewhere but I can not remember the source. Has anyone read this also and do you think the Vegas desk is far behind?

I heard the same thing. Canada will be gone in a year. I think everyone now knows Vegas is on borrowed time.

10thLetter what is the meaning of your name? Your not butthead's friend I hope?

10thLetter

PMT -thanks for staying in school. I wondered how long the reference would take to be deciphered.
My insignificance is growing. Only a tech would get the reference. Doe's it really take 6.5 to check a ups?

Deeohem

10th. I don't think I could get 6.5 out of one, but lets see how close I can come. 1 minute to find out that after 4+ years of never having a hiccup, the test finally came back replace battery. since the only log I'll get is for the test... guess where my time to replace goes.

time to replace. first, it takes time to do a comm search to find the model of battery I need say... 15-30 minutes

this is an extended center and I don't have RTLs anymore to help defray the drive or justify an overnight trip, so 3 hours drive time round trip. this is in the comms rack so open an SMA for when the router goes offline while I move everything to a power strip. move the cable modem, NetGear, Linksys etc of the top of the UPS (hopefully without disconnecting anything) plug everything into a power strip. carry the ups over to a belt, swap the batteries. Test before hooking it up. swap it back in place. test again to be sure. 30 minutes easily

That's 4 hours right there. there are centers in my geozone where it's a 3 hour drive ONE way to the center. There are districts where it's an all day drive.

Is is possible to do this more efficiently and in less time? I know I'm not motivated to look for it.

What happens if I plan 6.5 hours work, but I see how I can save an hour, do that and then spend half an hour finishing another task? I missed my 80% completed for the day.

and THAT's how we get 6.5 to check a UPS.

ncrtscisme

10th. I don't think I could get 6.5 out of one, but lets see how close I can come. 1 minute to find out that after 4+ years of never having a hiccup, the test finally came back replace battery. since the only log I'll get is for the test... guess where my time to replace goes.

time to replace. first, it takes time to do a comm search to find the model of battery I need say... 15-30 minutes

this is an extended center and I don't have RTLs anymore to help defray the drive or justify an overnight trip, so 3 hours drive time round trip. this is in the comms rack so open an SMA for when the router goes offline while I move everything to a power strip. move the cable modem, NetGear, Linksys etc of the top of the UPS (hopefully without disconnecting anything) plug everything into a power strip. carry the ups over to a belt, swap the batteries. Test before hooking it up. swap it back in place. test again to be sure. 30 minutes easily

That's 4 hours right there. there are centers in my geozone where it's a 3 hour drive ONE way to the center. There are districts where it's an all day drive.

Is is possible to do this more efficiently and in less time? I know I'm not motivated to look for it.

What happens if I plan 6.5 hours work, but I see how I can save an hour, do that and then spend half an hour finishing another task? I missed my 80% completed for the day.

and THAT's how we get 6.5 to check a UPS.

Isn't it just crazy how much time you have to spend thinking about filling out PMT? You should make that UPS check 7.0 (0.5 hours for PMT maintenance).

PMT h8r

Doe's it really take 6.5 to check a ups?

Lets see...

2hrs to the extended center

.10 to check the UPS

2.4hrs to deal with all the "problems" the center has been holding onto in anticipation of your next visit, because calling the boneheads at the helpless desk is unbearable for anything that doesn't literally stop the operation

2hrs back from the extended center

10thLetter

Actually I should be the anti-10thLetter. Catch phrase?? "Just flush I.T."
I think the whole PMT thing started when the real 10thLetter walked into a TSG office because he couldn't figure out how to put the stylus back in his ORT PDA. The fact that he had one of these is besides the point. As the tech rolled on the ground laughing, snorting and blowing cheetos and coffee all over the walls, a little crack appeared in the that walnut shelled emptiness. They don't know who I, 10thLetter, am. I will devise a system that makes them report all cheeto eating and coffee snorting down to the minute. When I show how much time they do this then I will exact my revenge. Oh, the Taj Mahal is beautiful in the spring. I will then lead the company to financial riches as I watch the stock climb higher and higher. Someday this will all be mine. Do you think Mike will notice??
I need a tissue..

J

just "the boy"

Actually I should be the anti-10thLetter. Catch phrase?? "Just flush I.T."
I think the whole PMT thing started when the real 10thLetter walked into a TSG office because he couldn't figure out how to put the stylus back in his ORT PDA. The fact that he had one of these is besides the point. As the tech rolled on the ground laughing, snorting and blowing cheetos and coffee all over the walls, a little crack appeared in the that walnut shelled emptiness. They don't know who I, 10thLetter, am. I will devise a system that makes them report all cheeto eating and coffee snorting down to the minute. When I show how much time they do this then I will exact my revenge. Oh, the Taj Mahal is beautiful in the spring. I will then lead the company to financial riches as I watch the stock climb higher and higher. Someday this will all be mine. Do you think Mike will notice??
I need a tissue..

That was beautiful

Thank you

C

Cowanym

Certainly not the execs making the big decisions.

Just quit. Once you leave, you will realize that you stayed at UPS for a job, not IT work. TSG, frankly, is just one step above a clerk at UPS -- no real tech work is done outside of Mahwah, Paramus, or Winward.

You are at UPS to see a retirement. You cannot believe you are there because you love IT stuff, right? You love UPS, you know this deep down. Why not make good money and go to driving. Makes no sense why you delude yourself.

There is nothing shameful in being in TSG or staying at UPS, you just have to be honest about the reasons.

tiggeroshi

Hmm.. I may pretty soon get hired to TSG in a main hub in California. Would it be worth it, or will my job be outsourced before I ever get the hang of it?

ImpactedTSG

Hmm.. I may pretty soon get hired to TSG in a main hub in California. Would it be worth it, or will my job be outsourced before I ever get the hang of it?
Don't bother. If you like IT stuff, goes elsewhere. In TSG all you do is follow manuals and feed CDs into drives until there is a problem, then you call ICS and they take over from there.

DS

Fenderbender
Don't bother. If you like IT stuff, goes elsewhere. In TSG all you do is follow manuals and feed CDs into drives until there is a problem, then you call ICS and they take over from there.
Wow thats just weird,what good is unused knowledge?
I mean to go to school for years to learn every aspect
of technical support only to be told that ICS will take over
from here makes your job pretty redundant .Theres no
challenge.I had trouble d/l the new symantec antivirus
and I was sent to a chat site with a nice indian fellow
who was very patient and he fixed my problem.Tigger,
you should become a driver,go into mngmt,a year later
and your knowledge may help you there.

Deeohem

We may still get to read manuals, but they are getting skimpier and skimpier. someone has decided that the work that isn't done via Tivoli, is done using .cmd files so if step 7 ofr 20 breaks we won't know until the end and have no way of trying to guess what went wrong.

Deeohem

Yeah, we were wondering what happened to all the external logs and then they posted the memo that was sent to BD about GoToAssist. Wish we were given the same tool.... We don't do hardware support anymore, and our ECTS partners seem to have all the software issues in hand, so that just leaves WorldShip integrations... I don't particularly like drive 2 hours each way to setup a keyed import of .csv files

that said, I'm also hearing that the HD won't escalate a log if the shipper refuses to use GTA. gonna build a lot of customer loyalty that way...

ImpactedTSG

Well, it's almost two years since we got the announcement that our district tech staff was getting cut in half. How is everyone doing that left TSG? What about the people that are still there? How is morale? I heard talk of unionizing TSG, did that ever happen?

I'm curious to see what happens this year. If there's any announcement it will be in January or sometime during 1Q. The region/district consolidations, new contract and pressure to increase stock price might force another "workforce balance initiative".

I've been out for over a year and as everyone has stated, your experiences in TSG won't get you very far in the real world. I feel like my years in TSG were almost a waste of time.

To anyone still in TSG - update your resume and put it out there and see what kind of bites you get. Take a look on monster, dice, career builder and see what kind of jobs are out there and what you qualify for. Talk to a recruiter just to see what you're worth. I'm not saying go out and get a new job, just get an idea of what's out there and what you could make if you left UPS. You'll be surprised how little you've learned in TSG. Yeah it's scary.

Stop paying attention to what's going on in the UPS bubble and look at what's going on in the real world. Keep up on emerging technologies, stay on top of the latest from Redmond, and pay attention to what other big corps are doing.