UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

A

Anonymous Coward

tieguy said:
Okay. Everything the company is putting out says they will make every effort to move you to other spots. Have you sat down with an HR person yet and what specifically did they tell you? if you like I can post the email that came from corporate where they specifically said they would try to move as many of you into other jobs or let you take the spots of what I think is outside employees working for us in TSG type slots. let me know.

HR has told us that there are no positions available - none. They say that because we are considered hourly management and cannot take a union job. That only leaves the whoever you know philosophy. Yes, by all means post that e-mail. I don't understand why everything has to be a secret. Seems like a bad way to treat employees that have helped this company succeed. When the drivers go out on paper due to nobody available to fix a DCS proble, maybe management will wake up and realize that we do serve a very vital purpose and maybe then we can get the respect that we are due.

T

TSC'er

tieguy said:
if you like I can post the email that came from corporate where they specifically said they would try to move as many of you into other jobs or let you take the spots of what I think is outside employees working for us in TSG type slots. let me know.

OK big talker... post away

Is this what your going to post tie? Dont bother!
Boy doesn't this sound so freakin' upbeat!
The UPS spin machine is amazing!

Initiative to balance technician workforce underway

<script language="Javascript"> var upsers_assocImgExist = 'https://www.upsers.com:443/center manager/CMDelivery/resources/file/ebd7da4bc6dc24c/H_IMG_Technology_Computers_ComputerChips_135.jpg'; var upsers_assocImgUpload = ''; if (upsers_assocImgExist != '') { if (upsers_assocImgExist.indexOf('IMG SRC=') > 0) { document.write(upsers_assocImgExist); } else { document.write("<"); document.write("img style='margin-right:15px; margin-bottom:10px;' src=""); document.write(upsers_assocImgExist); document.write("" >"); } } else if(upsers_assocImgUpload != '') { document.write("<"); document.write("img style='margin-right:15px; margin-bottom:10px;' src=""); document.write(upsers_assocImgUpload); document.write("" >"); } else { document.getElementById("upsers_page_design_image_div").style.display = "none"; } </script>

Recent technological advances have resulted in the automation and consolidation of several tasks at UPS. After extensive study and consideration, the decision has been made to reduce our technician workforce in 2006.

UPS continuously evaluates ways to protect and improve the company's competitive position. Despite continued success, UPS's cost to serve compared to competitors remains a growing concern. To help meet an increasingly competitive environment, innovation and change are essential.

Because this change involves all U.S. regions and districts, a workforce plan has been developed to help UPSers with the transition. The actual impact to UPS people may be minimized in locations where employees can fill positions currently held by contingent workers. Job selection procedures will be used where necessary.
Here are some keys to understanding what's happening.
  • Technology-based solutions require different processes and structures at UPS.
  • Based on the estimated task reduction due to increased automation, we have developed a workforce plan to reduce our technician workforce in 2006.
  • Employees in these job groups were informed of the changes during meetings held companywide Tuesday, January 17.
  • A job selection process that identifies technician openings and opportunities across functions is being used to offer available positions to displaced UPSers.
  • Depending on length of service, impacted and affected UPSers may select from a list of unaffected positions.
  • During the job selection process, employees also may have the option to select a position currently held by a contingent worker.
  • Employees involved in the job selection process also have the opportunity to choose the benefits within the Separation Allowance Plan.
This initiative represents another example of UPS's efforts to remain competitive and ensure the company's future. In the coming days and weeks, impacted and affected UPSers will have the opportunity to ask questions and gather more information during one-to-one sessions with their management team.

[mad]PLEASE got to http://uatups.com take the survey, pass the link to your coworkers, and TAKE ACTION QUICKLY!!![/mad]

UPS_Techie

Informed
tieguy said:
Okay. Everything the company is putting out says they will make every effort to move you to other spots. Have you sat down with an HR person yet and what specifically did they tell you? if you like I can post the email that came from corporate where they specifically said they would try to move as many of you into other jobs or let you take the spots of what I think is outside employees working for us in TSG type slots. let me know.
Tie - Please post that PCM that you're seeing from your HR Dept.

We were told, no inside Union jobs could be bid on at all. We could apply for P/T Supervision, bid on a Feeder or Service Provider job (package car driver) 7 to 1 = 7 hired from the union ranks, then 1 off the street). All L.O.S. Length of Service would be lost. What outside spots? Grade 5 Clerk jobs??? Yes, please post your email.

TSG_Lets_Unionize said:
Is this what your going to post tie? Dont bother!
Boy doesn't this sound so freakin' upbeat!
The UPS spin machine is amazing!

Initiative to balance technician workforce underway

<SCRIPT language=Javascript> var upsers_assocImgExist = 'https://www.upsers.com:443/center manager/CMDelivery/resources/file/ebd7da4bc6dc24c/H_IMG_Technology_Computers_ComputerChips_135.jpg'; var upsers_assocImgUpload = ''; if (upsers_assocImgExist != '') { if (upsers_assocImgExist.indexOf('IMG SRC=') > 0) { document.write(upsers_assocImgExist); } else { document.write("<"); document.write("img style='margin-right:15px; margin-bottom:10px;' src=""); document.write(upsers_assocImgExist); document.write("" >"); } } else if(upsers_assocImgUpload != '') { document.write("<"); document.write("img style='margin-right:15px; margin-bottom:10px;' src=""); document.write(upsers_assocImgUpload); document.write("" >"); } else { document.getElementById("upsers_page_design_image_div").style.display = "none"; } </SCRIPT>

Recent technological advances have resulted in the automation and consolidation of several tasks at UPS. After extensive study and consideration, the decision has been made to reduce our technician workforce in 2006.

UPS continuously evaluates ways to protect and improve the company's competitive position. Despite continued success, UPS's cost to serve compared to competitors remains a growing concern. To help meet an increasingly competitive environment, innovation and change are essential.

Because this change involves all U.S. regions and districts, a workforce plan has been developed to help UPSers with the transition. The actual impact to UPS people may be minimized in locations where employees can fill positions currently held by contingent workers. Job selection procedures will be used where necessary.
Here are some keys to understanding what's happening.
  • Technology-based solutions require different processes and structures at UPS.
  • Based on the estimated task reduction due to increased automation, we have developed a workforce plan to reduce our technician workforce in 2006.
  • Employees in these job groups were informed of the changes during meetings held companywide Tuesday, January 17.
  • A job selection process that identifies technician openings and opportunities across functions is being used to offer available positions to displaced UPSers.
  • Depending on length of service, impacted and affected UPSers may select from a list of unaffected positions.
  • During the job selection process, employees also may have the option to select a position currently held by a contingent worker.
  • Employees involved in the job selection process also have the opportunity to choose the benefits within the Separation Allowance Plan.
This initiative represents another example of UPS's efforts to remain competitive and ensure the company's future. In the coming days and weeks, impacted and affected UPSers will have the opportunity to ask questions and gather more information during one-to-one sessions with their management team.

[mad]PLEASE got to http://uatups.com take the survey, pass the link to your coworkers, and TAKE ACTION QUICKLY!!![/mad]

This is the Exact Memo that was read to us in 0935 last Tuesday, MINUS the bullet points, imagine that.:confused:1

We all kinda feel like mushrooms, keep us in the dark and feed us BS!!:mad:

tieguy said:
Lackie, thanks for the assitance. So what kind of contingent workers do we have?

WOW!
tieguy thanking someone
-for what, I'm not sure, all Lackie did was quote a previous post and then comment on it. So tie, were you thanking him for quoting something that you were unable to find yourself, or were you thanking him for reading through the post, then stating his opinion so would have to take the time to read?-
then tieguy at a loss for words?
Truly a banner day!

So why don't you tell us tie, since you normally purport to be the final answer on all thing UPS, what contingent workers DO we have?

The answer is none that I am aware of!

S

SEA1SUX

Question?
Are any admin-technical workers union anywhere in the company?
Is it possible for just one district to go union?
Or would it have to be the whole region?
Or would it have to be the entire company?
Anyone with any info/ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

ncrtscisme

Here is the schedule we were shown for the TSC closing dates:

February Portland, OR and Orlando, FL
May Addison, IL
July Eagan, MN
August Houston, TX
September Ontario, CA
October Pittsburgh, PA
November Nashville, TN

A

Anonymous Coward

ncrtscisme said:
Here is the schedule we were shown for the TSC closing dates:

February Portland, OR and Orlando, FL
May Addison, IL
July Eagan, MN
August Houston, TX
September Ontario, CA
October Pittsburgh, PA
November Nashville, TN

So are all calls going to go to Las Vegas? That is a third party call center, I believe? The same ones that currently screw-over our external customers on a daily basis? Genius!

tieguy

Banned
WOW!
tieguy thanking someone
-for what, I'm not sure, all Lackie did was quote a previous post and then comment on it. So tie, were you thanking him for quoting something that you were unable to find yourself, or were you thanking him for reading through the post, then stating his opinion so would have to take the time to read?-
then tieguy at a loss for words?
Truly a banner day!

I thanked him for posting the email that clearly shows the companys intent on how they plan to handle this situation. Included in that email was language about moving people into as many other positions as possible.

So why don't you tell us tie, since you normally purport to be the final answer on all thing UPS, what contingent workers DO we have?

Um. I believe I asked the question first. Now I'm not sure what we classify as a contingent worker , I'm guessing we have had some people somewhere that are doing Technical work for us that are not UPS employees. Either temps or outsourcing that we intend to replace with displaced TSG people. Thus I asked the question. Despite your efforts to try to bait me, I am and will continue to try to discuss the issue calmly and try to take some of the hysteria out of this. Since sensitivity is an issue you previously brought up perhaps you could show some also. There are many TSG people out there who will not be affected by this layoff who you could easily get torked up if you're not carefull about the misinformation being spread around this board. Discuss the issue calmly and keep it focused on the facts and what everyone objectively see's going on in their part of the world. There will be enough stress on those people who are affected by this without you adding to it with your immature hystronics.

I am a little hesitant to post this, as it is basically just in the rumor stage at this point. However, I got it from a trusted contact in the region, who I don't believe would have passed it on if the did not feel it was valid.
The word on the street is that there is going to be a second round of cuts announced shortly after Portland and Orlando are closed. So maybe March?
Again, please take this as wild unsubstantiated speculation, but keep it tucked in the back of your hat at the same time.

Well one of our best technicians is being forced out. This guy was incredible, he had a programming background, plus he was MCSE. He was only with TSG for 3 years, but he already was an all star, a real team player and go to guy. He was willing to relocate to Mahwah on his own dime, and even willing to take a pay cut or become an intern in order to get a job coding where he would have been a tremendous asset to the company.
By now you know the drill. They told him to pound sand, oh and please think of us when you ship something at your next job.

It is a shame that this company is skyrocketing downhill at such an alarming rate, while guys like PMT-Daddy, Butthead... er I mean the other guy... get rich.

No wonder they had to rebrand to try and remove the word Service!

bdva50

I think it is ludicrous to make the statement that many people will not be affected by this.. a 30% to 50% cut when the company is announcing a record profit and growth? The company simply does not care about its people, pure and simple. The service providers should be real thankful they have the union.

bdva50 said:
I think it is ludicrous to make the statement that many people will not be affected by this.. a 30% to 50% cut when the company is announcing a record profit and growth? The company simply does not care about its people, pure and simple. The service providers should be real thankful they have the union.

I agree...everyone is affected. Everyone has had their pride ripped away from them. Things will definitely be different. Sure the job will still get done but going the extra mile may become a thing of the past.

I directed a family member to this thread to see what UPS is up to. He is also in the IT industry. This was his response:

"This skeleton-crew notion seems to be a disease attacking suits everywhere these days. Here's how these tech-support stories invariably go. Short term, they save oodles of money while all the systems seem to run themselves. Then the cracks appear and they try to compensate by working tech support on triple time. Long term, the whole thing breaks down, usually resulting in a massive PR black eye ("UPS loses 50 million
packages") and equally massive costs to restore things back to normal.

Computer systems are conceptually no different than any other large, complex machinery. No one would dare suggest not attending regularly to the delivery trucks' brakes -- they're all working today, aren't they?
-- but they think computers are somehow magically exempt."

Sounds soooo right, doesn't it? :yes:

HEY! Can't I get get any love tieguy?
I'M the one who originally posted the email!!! :confused:1

hehe

I am assuming you are somewhere in management, judging from you comments and demeanor. Have you spoken with any affected technicians about this, or are you just getting all your information from corporate?

[mad]PLEASE go to http://uatups.com take the survey, pass the link to your coworkers, and TAKE ACTION QUICKLY!!![/mad]

ncrtscisme

while tieguy is right about keeping things calm and not spreading any misinfo, his assumption that other positions will open is unfortunately wrong...at least, for our region it is. he assumes that many techs will be allowed to take other positions within the company, and i can only guess that he thinks that because that is how it was always done in the past with other consolidations. however, this time seems to be quite different because we are not allowed to move to any other departments. in the past, open jobs would be "frozen" for some time just before a consolidation would happen, thus leaving room for those affected to still have a job. but not in the case...no jobs frozen, and no chance to move to an open job in another department.

Mike Eskew talks about our service to our customers as being so important (which of course it is). I've heard external techs talk about customers who had left UPS for fedex because of lower costs, but from what i hear many of those customers end up coming back to UPS because the support is so much better than theirs...well, what do you think will happen when this transpires? Our service will be the same as fedex's, maybe even worse...but then, if they're spending less money on support people then we should follow suit right? I don't think so.

There's no doubting our external service. It was top notch. I can't count the number of times that I've heard..."wow! I called, you came out, you fixed, and now I'm shipping! All in the same day! It would have taken Fedex a week to get out here." Buttttttt... we can't come out in the same day anymore because of PMT. Now we get an external call we have to plan the call of the customer tomorrow, then we call the customer the next day, then we setup the appointment with the customer, then plan that on our calendar. Way to go PMT!

The extra mile is definately gone.... now the heels are dragging the concrete. I can already tell the TSC is in "I don't care mode." Lots of crazy service orders coming down the pipe, and I don't blame them. I wish they'd release them all so we'd get so far behind and miss SLA on all kinds of things. This "old car" will break down eventually and leave an entire center with no EDD data, no PAL labels, and no way to print pickup records in no time. Don't worry though TSG is only 3-4 hours away now, we'll get cracking on it after lunch and hopefully have it fixed by tomorrow morning for you. I hope they still have some microwave popcorn in the vending machine for break time!

Night.....
- "Hey.. I nee" "got a log?"