UPS laying off Technical hourly employees

A

Anonymous Coward

SEA1SUX said:
Sam:
You make a few good points, but in our district have a name for the guys who think it's ok to just sit on their a** all day waiting for a log to come in while the rest of us are running and gunning to keep things flowing.

We call them dead wood.

I think you should seriously consider stepping down from your position and letting someone more willing to work take it.

JMHO

Sea1sux,

I fully understand your sentiments. However, please understand that willing to work is different in my mind from having work to do.

I understand that some technicians are taxed more than others. I understand, too, that some technicians have a greater difficulty doing the same tasks as others.

In the scenario of a technician domiciled in an outlying center where she takes care of her center and external customers with relative ease, how can she be faulted for not having a full days work available. I do understand that in a hub or multi-center building where 2 or more technicians reside, there can, and usually is, a technician who does less than the other(s).

I have reviewed PMT in my area and there just isnt enough work to sustain the number of technicians. Most of my peers would rather have full days to pass the time I feel this way, too. I think the downsizing will address this issue.

The idea of downsizing is not simply a sinister plot by management to stick-it to the technicians. Someone has identified what many already know to be true. I also stated before that I, for one, dont subscribe to the notion that technicians have to be doing something all the time. In several large companies in my town, the technical departments have game rooms and reading rooms. The technicians and programmers are told to spend downtime in those areas. I am not saying I long for this, or even agree. Im just giving you an idea of a different technology paradigm.

We have dead wood in my district as well man o man do we. It eats at us but there is nothing that we can do that we havent already tried.

I know I said my job is not exciting or challenging. I know I said that I am unhappy. I know I said that the job is easy. It is all those things. It also pays the bills.

I know too, that you dont know me and that your comment is only based on the information I provided. I have to live by the impression that my words paint. If you feel it is best that I step down because I come to work everyday, never have been out for disability or workmans comp, work as instructed, provide excellent support for my users, and look to help my company when and where I can, well.

Well, I hope I changed your mind, maybe a little.

And, if I could find something in the near term that offers me all the good things that UPS does, and has the promise of challenge and excitement, I would leave to save that next senior person. The problem is, I know what I have now. For all its faults, it is mine. I understand the system. It is comfortable dangerously comfortable.

If I were to leave, I would leave on the best of terms. UPS has done a lot for me. I have tried to return the favor. A few of the technicians have left (over the years) in tirades (and a couple, nearly in cuffs). While those people did good things at one time or another, there legacy is their final words and actions. It is a shame.

I dont plan to write again. I have said enough. Good luck to you all.

Samantha

S

SEA1SUX

So, just curious, how many on here are seriously considering the union thing?
I was not, but I am feeling like maybe it might help?

Once again, the point is being missed ENTIRELY. It's not the layoffs that everyone is angry about - WE ALL SAW THEM COMING. It is the fact that we are not being allowed to even ATTEMPT to move into other OPEN (not created) positions within the company. We have been told by HR that we can't even quit the company and reapply for open positions for at least a year. As I've said before, we're actually being THROWN OUT. Another thing - I am sick and tired of hearing about some techs not having enough to do. UPS created these positions to minimize down time to the centers and to shippers. Most other tech support organizations have a similar SLA system to ours, but they have to RESPOND in 4 hours, not have it RESOLVED. A 4 hour RESOLUTION, to which a department will be held accountable, requires MUCH MORE MANPOWER. Expecially for technicians covering a large geographic area. It also requires Helpdesks staffed with inside, not outsourced, technicians. The cost of a server malfunction during Preload in a PAS site is HUGE. Preloaders are de-skilled, the drivers would have to come in early to load their vehicles - all drivers in the building on overtime folks. This exact scenario is a worst case from the lips of Corp IE and Corp TSG. If PAS is down, every minute is money lost. Hell, they become hysterical over half second delays. Downsizing your tech support under these conditions is ridiculous. To those who continue to ramble on in this vein, you might as well vote down your local fire departments. After all, they sit around most of their days doing MUCH LESS than techs. But when your house is burning down, would you rather they were short staffed and further away? Enough of that ludicrous agrument already.

TSCer

Oh yes, lets get on the subject of UPS and their interns. Yes UPS has a well educated workforce in the TSG department and yes of course we could do the IE jobs standing on our heads. A monkey could do almost any job at UPS and the mentality of management supports that. The reason why UPS has decided to throw us away is that we do not take their crap. We stand up to them, we question them when they are wrong. You see, as I know you know, UPS wants those who will work as directed, when directed without question. We dont fit that bill, therefore we must go. Have you noticed that mgt all uses the same tactics? They rule by fear and intimidation only. It is management by clonology. They want all of us to be good little robots. Those who are left will be like zombies. UPS has no clue what it takes to be a technician, how much stress and finesse it is really about. They will see burnout much quicker now. But their new and improved temp techs R US will save them. I for one am glad that I will be telling UPS to kiss my ass in a week. It will feel good to leave this oppressive atmosphere. I wonder what it will feel like not fearing that they are waiting to fire me everyday. Thank You Big Brown Boo Boo pile.

TSCer

As long as you plan your PAS outtages in PMT everything will be fine. Dont worry about that Division managers email. You can schedule that for sometime next week. Just tell him, he will understand. Call tags arent printing? Thats not real important. Sev 5, see you tomorrow. Spa station cant scan? I can squeeze you in tentatively in two days. I think you get my point here. UPS is once again making a brilliant management decision. I hope it costs them millions.

Samantha, please understand that we understand how much you understand, and understand how important understanding is to you. However, I would like to repectfully suggest you look into therapy for your codependency and overdeveloped need for approval from authority figures. Congradulations on your intelligence, but not your arrogance and lack of humanity. You have convinced no one of anything, except perhaps, yourself. This is a sickness, dear one, not a virtue. If this were a REASONABLE downsizing, as you would have us believe, which allowed the current employees to transfer into already open positions, this thread would have been very short indeed. Open your eyes, sweetheart, that's NOT a lollipop in your mouth.

geekdude

TSCer said:
As long as you plan your PAS outtages in PMT everything will be fine. Dont worry about that Division managers email. You can schedule that for sometime next week. Just tell him, he will understand. Call tags arent printing? Thats not real important. Sev 5, see you tomorrow. Spa station cant scan? I can squeeze you in tentatively in two days. I think you get my point here. UPS is once again making a brilliant management decision. I hope it costs them millions.
Yeah I know what u mean. We have PMT on one hand but yet . we are still required to fight fires like the old days. Pre PMT days... Hey * ******. I hope your happy u piece of ****. Enjoy your bonus.

tieguy

Banned
Once again, the point is being missed ENTIRELY. It's not the layoffs that everyone is angry about - WE ALL SAW THEM COMING. It is the fact that we are not being allowed to even ATTEMPT to move into other OPEN (not created) positions within the company.
We have been told by HR that we can't even quit the company and reapply for open positions for at least a year.

Question - have you had a formal sit down with a representative from HR where they have reviewed this information with you? If so then you have a clear discrepancy between what the company says they intend to do and what your district is telling you they will do. Print a copy of the prior post or the actual email if you have it that shows the companies intent to move affected employees and ask them why you are not being allowed to move into open positions. If you don't feel comfortable with the answer you get then file an EDR case on it. The EDR process is the same as the unions grievance process. You can take it all the way up to an impartial arbitrator who would rule on the case.

tieguy

Banned
We have been told by HR that we can't even quit the company and reapply for open positions for at least a year. As I've said before, we're actually being THROWN OUT.

Next question. How was this information presented. I'm guessing here but I would think the company would clearly not want you to take the severance pay and at the same time work in another job.
A question I might ask: If I can't move into an open position and I can't stay in TSG can I get moved into a union position.

The main thing that bothers me about this is the two options appear to be lateral move into open job and severance separation. This company could certainly seem to afford a third option being downsizing by attrition. If it was me depending on my time with this company I might fight for the attrition option. It would seem a lawyer could make a good case for such as a more humane approach to realigning the TSG workforce.

Last edited:
A

Anonymous Coward

Anonymous Coward said:
Sea1sux,

I have reviewed PMT in my area and there just isnt enough work to sustain the number of technicians. Most of my peers would rather have full days to pass the time I feel this way, too. I think the downsizing will address this issue.

Hahaha.... I have reviewed PMT? You mean that app we were told to lie in and falsify information? PMT doesn't mean crap. During the recent hurricanes we didn't have any data connectivity. It was great...it was like old school days. Busy as hell and just helping people all day. Now we tell them no we can't help them until we get it scheduled. HA!

I'll plan to put out your fire tomorrow.

trickpony1

Tie,
The EDR procedure and $.25 will get you a cup of coffee.
The company is gonna do what it jolly well wants to do....you should know that by now.

local02

Guys,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
UPS tsg management is not technical in most part. Most of the time they do not know what they need and what is important. Remember UPS is running on numbers. They know how many pkges they have to process a day and this model they want to apply to tsg.. In my mind tsg is like emergency and how you gona apply a plan for them because it is impossible.<o:p></o:p>
tsg must be there to support 3 servers in each building and some amount of PCs. There will be more cuts in about 2-3 years if they apply other companies models for support and they will. UPS do not think that tsg is making money we are EXPENCE for them. If you want to stop this, guys you have to go <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">UNION</st1:place>. Under union power UPS will be forced to find jobs for us, because UPS IS VERY PROFITABLE ORGANIZSION. VOTE UNION it is not too late!!! <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Is any one looked at www.uatups.com? IT is simple but some one is playing real.<o:p></o:p>

ICry4U

WOW! I get it. Many of you were in retirement mode until a couple of weeks ago. Losing a TSG job is not the real fear. Losing a UPS job is the real shocker.

UPS does have smoking wages.
<O:p></O:p>
If a UPS job is more important than using your technology skillz, then why the hell didnt you get into driving a truck or tractor. I mean, the union retirement blows away TSG/clerk retirement. The job is protected by the union. You can friend????-up over and over and get the union to protect you.
Driving is hard work.
It sounds like the good times in TSG are over and you didnt see it coming. Or worse, you did and did nothing.
Stop the bull about how UPS needs you so much. UPS has managed to make stupid mistake after mistake for a long time and aint lost a dollar yet. It wont miss any of you. When they realize they cut to much they will hire high school grads and pay them 15 an hour and never look back.
You guys act like you are entitled.
Id give anything to have your skillz and be able to work where I wanted.
Try working on a preload making 9 something an hour waiting on some fat :censored2: to retire out of a truck. Please.
Go drive. You get 1 shot for every few I get. Hell, you might even jam me up.

tieguy

Banned
trickpony1 said:
Tie,
The EDR procedure and $.25 will get you a cup of coffee.
The company is gonna do what it jolly well wants to do....you should know that by now.

edr = independent arbitration that can rule in your favor. UPS would have to comply.

Sev 8

How long do you have to wait to rehire at UPS. One post said you have to sign that you will never rehire. Others say one year.

Anybody really know?

Has any district actually completed this workforce realignment yet?

What were the jobs offered -- PT or FT? What type/function?

And to 1cry4u , ...CHILL.

TSGTech4Now

TSG Tech II
A couple of thoughts....(sorry for the long post!!)

Let me first say that I am lucky enough to work in a division where we had only one affected technician and he should be able to move in to an opportunity that will allow him to program much like he does and wishes to do now. This is the case ONLY because we had at least 5 technicians leave for other opportunities last year. This was NOTHING management or the other technicians accomplished-this was blind luck!!!

IMHO... Several factors are at work at UPS.
1.) The company has some serious competition from FedEX and DHL which are both non-union. The union(Teamsters), I am happy to see, is trying to organize both companies. The success of this is yet to be determined but the cost of doing business because of the union has allowed the others to gain market share by under-cutting UPS and still preserve profits. Even if the union is successful, others like Speed Dee or Yellow will try to enter the market without those costs. I am NOT a union enthusist but understand that without them, I would not have the benefit package I have.
2.) With UPS now being a stock-exchange traded company, analyst reports and market expectations are ALWAYS driving the stock price. The sound business practices of the past are things of the past. A little movement in stock price can cost the higher management several hundred thousand dollars or more. They, as human nature is, will protect themselves first. This is characteristic of ALL publicly-traded companies. Ask anyone whom works at IBM, General Motors, or AT&T. Until we can get back to supporting companies whom make long-term, sound decisions instead of looking for the quick buck, this will be the environment we will work in.
3.) The original company has changed dramatically! What Jim Casey envisioned and built is no longer here. The corporate management may believe it and practice it but we have local management that "runs the show" on a daily. Our current staff management is NOT TSG friendly in this district and this affects everyone through out management and hourly ranks. Comments like "TSG always comes in and breaks things!" or "Why do we need you when things are working fine?" do NOT help us!! It seems, but I am not certain, that a District Manager (or VP of District Operations as some are called) has pretty much free range without much outside interference. As long as the numbers are met and goals reached (most of which are financial in nature), he is left alone.

Facts are such that we will, most likely, all be looking for jobs in the future. This is JUST the first round!! Look around the industry. Several other companies have similar situations. UPS is looking to standardize and centralize the IT to reduce costs and increase ROI(Return on Investment). Such is the industry.

Will UPS continue to be number 1?? Will it survive?? Time will tell. Decisions made now will affect the long-term future. Cutting staff has ALWAYS been the quickest way to improve profits and make the stock move. Long-term it has been a death sentence for some companies!! Time WILL tell!!

TSCer

It sure he heck isnt the company Jim Casey wanted. Their policy book should be burned because none of it applies anymore due to the way the company is run. They talk about integrity but they have none. When you are telling your technicians to LIE on PMT does that show integrity? J.Bev, what do you think? I know you are trolling these boards you worthless piece of :censored2:. Make a comment unless you dont have the balls. Oh and Icry4U, you are a loser. We have these skills because we worked for them not because we were born with them. Im sure you are great at humping cardboard though, thank God that he gave you such a gift.

pauliep1_98

I am an ex UPS'er who did my 22 years (I left in 1998). I worked in quite a few different functions (hub, package centers and staff departments). In the late 80's & early 90's they started outsourcing lots of stuff. Once non-UPS people started getting involved the feeling of everyone being defensive and uptight became the norm rather than the exception. It is amazing to me how the company got away from alot of the ideas that the founders put into place that helped make the company grow. When I left it amazed me how many people were just there to get a paycheck and how confrontational management, hourly, and union people had become with each other. The original founders must be turning over in their graves. The fact that they are and will continue to downsize by eliminating hourly employees just continues to follow the same pattern. When I joined UPS in the late 70's it was an honor to be an employee, when I left it was no longer the same company I had watched grow. The "Big Idea" has gone into space!