UPS lost 106 million in Q4

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Loss was because of a $1.8 billion pension charge, it's not like they were in the red for the quarter.

Ups did finally release Amazon numbers from 2019. Amazon spent $8.6 billion or 11.6% of revenue.

Amazon is probably 11.6% of revenue but 20% of packages processed. I think UPS is paying for all the growth with Amazon and will eventually give them the boot or charge them higher rates.

Last edited:

watdaflock?

not related but it's ironic that bloomberg and steyer are spending 100's of millions of dollars that have been financed by the trump stock market.
Bloomberg making money on the stock market began a long time ago, he's also been donating 100's of millions of dollars before Trump. Bloomberg Philanthropies focuses its resources on five areas: the environment, public health, the arts, government innovation and education.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Loss was because of a $1.8 billion pension charge, it's not like they were in the red for the quarter.

Ups did finally release Amazon numbers from 2019. Amazon spent $8.6 billion or 11.6% of revenue.

Amazon is probably 11.6% of revenue but 20% of packages processed. I think UPS is paying for all the growth with Amazon and will eventually give them the boot or charge them higher rates.
Letting Amazon overwhelm the system certainly doesn't help us make money.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Bloomberg making money on the stock market began a long time ago, he's also been donating 100's of millions of dollars before Trump. Bloomberg Philanthropies focuses its resources on five areas: the environment, public health, the arts, government innovation and education.
And jet travel. He loves that private jet even though he wants you walking to work.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Ohh wow, just found out I have to out service half my fleet when I go in tonight. Maybe they are selling the package cars to amazon?

MattM

Amazon had quite the surge. Up 13%. Tell me that feels right?

We're bending over backwards for them, and we're the one in the dumps, and Amazon is flourishing. Sad stuff

Amazon had quite the surge. Up 13%. Tell me that feels right?

We're bending over backwards for them, and we're the one in the dumps, and Amazon is flourishing. Sad stuff
Have some faith. UPS is still going strong.
They survived two work wars, the great depression, the great recession.
Plus we have more competition now than ever before.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

MattM

Have some faith. UPS is still going strong.
They survived two work wars, the great depression, the great recession.
Plus we have more competition now than ever before.
True.

Sadly I only own ups stock. So this hurt quite a bit today.

My air building processes 90% Amazon now. All this hard work for another company to see the gains.

Will I even have a pension in 20 years upon retirement? This news feel grim.

True.

Sadly I only own ups stock. So this hurt quite a bit today.

My air building processes 90% Amazon now. All this hard work for another company to see the gains.

Will I even have a pension in 20 years upon retirement? This news feel grim.
Never make too large of an investment in one company. It can bite you in the ass

PAUPSGuy

I guess I'm the only one on here sensing the shift? UPS is building out its infrastructure while simultaneously starting the Amazon 'slow roll'. I can't predict the future but UPS is definitely starting to swing back. 1.8b invested into pensions after all of their buyouts means they are removing waste for something. Automation will begin to pay off over the next 5 years. Amazon is coming, fast, but UPS is starting to recalibrate. This is a breath of fresh air for me personally. My biggest concern isn't Bezos anymore/right now. Berkshire Hathaway buying FedEx has me uneasy for 2021/2022. Too much pedigree to fail if they take over that "white elephant" - as Warren Buffet put it.

The company is going to need some heavy hitters on all levels of every arm of the company but especially operations to ensure survival. Despite your animosity, you all will need to rally this year. That 1.4b investment in PA will increase every relevant metric. Idk guys, I was leery and critical about UPS but I'm sensing a change. Not the transformational kind, but top-down leadership. Don't take my word for it but at least pay attention.