UPS Pilot Strike! What will you do with the extra time off?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
UPS said in its statement that "the facts are, UPS does a great job taking of our pilots, and they do a great job of flying for us. A typical UPS pilot flies about 30 hours per month –the fewest in the industry – this while enjoying industry-best compensation. A UPS pilot’s average annual pay is $238,000 per year." Well LA DI DAH!

Faceplanted

So a ups pilot can work 14 hours straight... But ups wants me to believe they work 30 hours a month. I understand needing time off to comply with faa regulations (which suck for cargo pilots) but seriously ups? Make a better story than that.

I used to have a ups pilot on my route and the guy was never home.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
There is a difference between "flight time" and "time on duty".
The 30 hours is about right for flight time.
Now factor in an extra 2 hours to prep to fly and leave immediately when the airplane is secure.
That's a total of 90 hours per month.

I hope we reach an amicable agreement with them.

Faceplanted

There is a difference between "flight time" and "time on duty".
The 30 hours is about right for flight time.
Now factor in an extra 2 hours to prep to fly and leave immediately when the airplane is secure.
That's a total of 90 hours per month.

I hope we reach an amicable agreement with them.
Not to mention dead time waiting for the plane to be loaded and pre trip check list ect. These guys put in hours and I know they do. Ups makes me sick with their press release and trying to make it sound like the pilots are being greedy.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
You interpreted the release that way.

The hour before flight includes the pre flight. The airplane is supposed to be ( and usually is) loaded and ready to go before the flight is scheduled. Believe it or not, it's not like a Cessna, where you take off when you're ready.

BTW, it is "etc."

Faceplanted

You interpreted the release that way.

The hour before flight includes the pre flight. The airplane is supposed to be ( and usually is) loaded and ready to go before the flight is scheduled. Believe it or not, it's not like a Cessna, where you take off when you're ready.

BTW, it is "etc."
U do know pilots fly more than one flight a day right? Like

Louisville to philly, plane gets unloaded...re loaded, philly to Louisville, than the same thing for another trip or 2 depending on flight time and hours ect. Every time they land they have to re do the check lists. Takes time

There are also chaser planes in case of overflow who are ready to go sitting on the Tarmac.

6 hours flight time can very easially be 10 hours on the clock

That pilots that crashed in Birmingham crashed due to fatigue. Im pretty sure he was on the clock for a bunch of hours, more than passenger pilots are allowed to fly... That would be a huge issue for me if i was a ups pilot and had a family

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
I used to have a ups pilot on my route and the guy was never home.

I cover a route where a UPS pilot lives. He is very rarely home. His schedule seems to be very similar to a sleeper team schedule. The money is nice, but if you are never home to enjoy it....

I've talked to him a couple of times. I believe that one of their main sticking points right now is the low number of regular bid jobs. If I remember correctly, the vast majority of flights are 'extra board work' and he bids on a job package every 2 weeks. He also said that he almost never starts work from the gateway closest to his house, he has to jumpseat to another gateway to start his schedule and then jumpseat to the gateway closest to home to get home. He said that schedules where a pilot only flies to and from 1 gateway is very rare.

It is always interesting talking to him.

upschuck

The pilot I talked with said he is gone for a couple weeks, then home for a week (s), then gone for a couple more. He didn't, anyways, do one stop, then back home, he'd go 5+ places before heading back home.

Holydriver

UPS said in its statement that "the facts are, UPS does a great job taking of our pilots, and they do a great job of flying for us. A typical UPS pilot flies about 30 hours per month –the fewest in the industry – this while enjoying industry-best compensation. A UPS pilot’s average annual pay is $238,000 per year." Well LA DI DAH!
Damn! $661 an hour!!!! I should have learned to fly!

worldwide

That pilots that crashed in Birmingham crashed due to fatigue. Im pretty sure he was on the clock for a bunch of hours, more than passenger pilots are allowed to fly... That would be a huge issue for me if i was a ups pilot and had a family

The cause of the crash was not exclusively fatigue. The captain had some "training deficiencies" that were noted. Was fatigue a factor? Sure, most UPS flights fly at night and the body's circadian clock can take time to adjust to different schedules. Yet, hundreds of UPS flights fly each night and they are not crashing short of runways like the Birmingham accident. The captain was off work for 7 days prior to the accident so its reasonable to assume he would have been rested. I think most anyone in any job can say at any time they are tired. Fatigue was a factor but not the cause of the accident.

From the NTSB report.

"The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the flight crew's continuation of an unstabilized approach and their failure to monitor the aircraft's altitude during the approach, which led to an inadvertent descent below the minimum approach altitude and subsequently into terrain. Contributing to the accident were (1) the flight crew's failure to properly configure and verify the flight management computer for the profile approach; (2) the captain's failure to communicate his intentions to the first officer once it became apparent the vertical profile was not captured; (3) the flight crew's expectation that they would break out of the clouds at 1,000 feet above ground level due to incomplete weather information; (4) the first officer's failure to make the required minimums callouts; (5) the captain's performance deficiencies likely due to factors including, but not limited to, fatigue, distraction, or confusion, consistent with performance deficiencies exhibited during training; and (6) the first officer's fatigue due to acute sleep loss resulting from her ineffective off-duty time management and circadian factors.

Although the captain flew 6 days in a row on his previous three trip pairings, he generally was off duty for 7 or more days between trips, including just before the accident pairing, allowing for adequate time to recover from any sleep debt he may have acquired while on duty.

There were several decisions made by the first officer that contributed to her fatigue, which could have been mitigated by alternate choices. The first officer could have more effectively managed her sleep/wake schedule during her extended layover in San Antonio to minimize further adverse effects when she returned to night duty on August 1.

To use an accident to make a point when the facts surrounding the accident don’t support that point – is not simply an illogical conclusion, but also one that must be viewed as purely politically motivated."

Faceplanted

The pilot could have had 7 days off sure, how many hours was he up due to work or transporting themselves to work on the day off the incident? I could not find that fact anywhere. All those mistakes are made due to fatigue. Lots of errors. I have a hArd time believing bad training. Most ups pilots are hand picked, most with military experience. Military people live by procedural check lists and using the same process every time. Anybody with common sense knows 14 hours of duty is a joke for somebody flying a plane. It's too dangerous and forbidden in passenger jets, but I guess cargo pilots life's are not as valuable, and we need more profit!!!!!

Last edited:

Faceplanted

Also lets not forget the fact they have to fly with lithium ion batteries on board.... Which are known to cause dies ala the ups plane that went down in the Middle East. They should get paid top of industry as regular pilots don't have to worry about that in the passenger planes