UPS pilots asked for concessions we are next?

trickpony1

Let's see.......

They've cut drivers, clerks, PT supes, mechanics, BD and pilots are asked for concessions.

My question is:
When is IE gonna cut themselves?....or is sitting at that desk plugging numbers in a calculator so labor intensive that IE can't afford to lose people?

tieguy

Banned
John McDevitt (the management committee member responsible for contract negotiations) said just the opposite.

When asked if we were going to ask the Teamsters for concessions, he said no. He said that asking for concessions would require renegotiating the contract and we did not want to do that.

He said that for a company to ask for concessions it has to be in dire straits and there are significant consequences for doing so.

P-Man

Yep . Clearly the teamsters leadership would ask for their own concessions in order to grant ours.

iowa boy

Let's see.......

They've cut drivers, clerks, PT supes, mechanics, BD and pilots are asked for concessions.

My question is:
When is IE gonna cut themselves?....or is sitting at that desk plugging numbers in a calculator so labor intensive that IE can't afford to lose people?

Gotta have some way to justify the need for the reams of reports that are generated by this company every day and IE is the only division that actually needs them.

some1else

Banned
I don't see how you can be conceeding anything when you're increasing the pay rate.
we are "conceeding" receiving our full raise on-time, and "conceeded" to split it over the year.

btw most economists are reporting the recession is bottoming out... would be nice if consumer spending keeps rising and gives us a decent peak!

Channahon

In today's economy, the full time management employees have made concessions, although they may not agree or had a voice in the matter, they are still working. So that means, no raises, no 401K matches, no promotions and positions that are not filled due to attrition. But they are still bringing home a paycheck and working everyday. I'm not saying that is an easy position to be in, but in today's economy with no inflation, it may be managable for most.

Now to have union employees make concessions, would mean reopening negotiations, which as stated above is not something UPS or hall are willing to do. So how do you help your fellow Teamster stay employed?

govols019

You smell that?
Was the extension of time before a new part-time employee receives health benefits not a concession? How about the extension of progression for new full time employees, concession or no? The change in the 8-hr day language, surely that was no concession was it?

The last contract was full of concessions.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Was the extension of time before a new part-time employee receives health benefits not a concession? How about the extension of progression for new full time employees, concession or no? The change in the 8-hr day language, surely that was no concession was it?

The last contract was full of concessions.

Could be off-base ... wouldn't be the first time but...

I thought concessions referred to"givebacks" during the period in which a contract is in effect such as with the UAW and GM.

When a new contract is negotiated, as the previous contract expires, the negotiated terms and conditions are not normally referred to as concessions. As terms and conditions change from one contract to the next, it is the normal exchange of items of value by the participating parties.

But with that all said, I think we all know that something of value was lost by each party while something of value was gained by each party regardless of the timing.

PS - Got the boat out this season yet?

Could be off-base ... wouldn't be the first time but...

I thought concessions referred to"givebacks" during the period in which a contract is in effect such as with the UAW and GM.

When a new contract is negotiated, as the previous contract expires, the negotiated terms and conditions are not normally referred to as concessions. As terms and conditions change from one contract to the next, it is the normal exchange of items of value by the participating parties.

But with that all said, I think we all know that something of value was lost by each party while something of value was gained by each party regardless of the timing.

PS - Got the boat out this season yet?
Oh geeeezzz ..picky picky picky...lol

govols019

You smell that?
Maybe roll over and play dead would have been a better term to use in regard to what the Teamsters negotiating team did.

On the way out the door as I type this headed to the water.

Take me to the river, drop me in the water
Push me in the river, dip me in the water
Washing me down, washing me:surfing:

QKRSTKR

I don't like it when people compare teamsters to the UAW. For all of you that have had your rte pulled on certain days and you go home, does ups give you 90% of your pay? I think not.

The UAW and the big 3 made their beds. My former neighbor who retired from jeep recently would get 3 weeks off at a time with 85 or 90% of his pay. And he would tell me how he was doing the company and junior employees a favor. The only thing they did by this is drive themselves straight to Bankruptcy.

10 years ago, they were all getting 5K-10K profit sharing checks from Daimler/Chrysler. I must have missed mine from UPS. It's not our faults the union and CEO's ran their company like a freakin lemonade stand. The sad part is that the greed of so many has affected us all. Same with the banks, they blew that balloon up so much it had to burst.

Just wait, another couple years from the annointed one running the presses like there is no tomorrow and it'll take a wheel barrow full of money just to buy a loaf of bread.

CFLBrown

UPS saved a decent amount of money when it changed the terms of the PT health insurance plan. You now need to be employed with the company for 12 months to get health insurance, and 18 months for dependents.