UPS Salespeople!!! Fedex Packages Available!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Now that unionization is in the works over at FedEx Express, the prevailing theory is that Fred S is going to shift the Express E2 and SOS products over to Ground. There is ample evidence available that this is the plan, and based on the "wonderful" service that Ground provides, this is an excellent opportunity to tell customers that UPS can do a much better job for them.

There is lots of evidence to support this theory, especially the intense focus in Memphis on ensuring that the Ground business model is completely legal and bulletproof. Once this occurs, Fred is free to expand Ground and complete his "plan". More evidence is the fact that Express is leasing huge numbers of delivery vehicles at tremendous cost. Why replace a vehicle fleet that you're not going to need? FedEx has also purchased a large number of air-only Ground trailers and has installed lifts and ball-mat systems at many Ground facilities, specifically to handle air (former Express) business.

I'm guessing this is information that both you and your customers will find useful. In the near future, they can expect their E2 and SOS to be late, damaged or both. Plus, they'll have the delightful experience of meeting our extremely professional Ground drivers, most of whom look like refugees from an outlaw motorcycle gang or recent prison parolees. It won't take long for shippers to figure-out that there is a big difference between the service they are getting now and what they'll receive in the future.

Enjoy those big commission checks!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How very professional, air courier.

I'll match-up my appearance and professionalism with a Ground driver or UPS driver any day. And as far as me ratting-out Smith's probable plan, he deserves it. After all, isn't he attempting to cut my throat by making me into a part-timer? My take is that the so-called Master Plan has been in the works for a long time and that the only roadblock stopping Smith has been the Ground legal question. Once that hurdle is jumped, there is nothing preventing him from making the shift from Express to Ground. Believe me, I am more than happy to let UPS know about it and have their salespeople exploit that knowledge on their very next sales call. FedEx will say it is in response to unionization, but most of us will know better.

If you had even an inkling of the crap that Mr Smith has gotten away with over the years you'd probably understand. All you're worried about right now is your potential lost business to shippers who might prefer to use UPS with this new knowledge available to them. If this is the plan, and I'm increasing convinced that it is, it is the ultimate act of throwing us at Express under the proverbial bus one last time.

Ground service does not match-up with either Express or UPS levels. Do you have a problem with the simple truth?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'll match-up my appearance and professionalism with a Ground driver or UPS driver any day. And as far as me ratting-out Smith's probable plan, he deserves it. After all, isn't he attempting to cut my throat by making me into a part-timer? My take is that the so-called Master Plan has been in the works for a long time and that the only roadblock stopping Smith has been the Ground legal question. Once that hurdle is jumped, there is nothing preventing him from making the shift from Express to Ground. Believe me, I am more than happy to let UPS know about it and have their salespeople exploit that knowledge on their very next sales call. FedEx will say it is in response to unionization, but most of us will know better.

If you had even an inkling of the crap that Mr Smith has gotten away with over the years you'd probably understand. All you're worried about right now is your potential lost business to shippers who might prefer to use UPS with this new knowledge available to them. If this is the plan, and I'm increasing convinced that it is, it is the ultimate act of throwing us at Express under the proverbial bus one last time.

Ground service does not match-up with either Express or UPS levels. Do you have a problem with the simple truth?

I will never forget about 3 years ago I was out delivering and had a cut in an area close to me and took a shortcut through the country and saw a fedex ground guy in one of the small box trucks. There was a 90 degree corner which we were both at about the same time as I looked over at him I started laughing pretty good...he had no shirt on and had a cig hanging out of his mouth. As he passed he threw up a peace sign at me.....classic.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Its interesting how things change, I remember reading an article many years ago which was an interview with Fred S and they asked him why he wasnt interested in getting into ground delivery(this was before fedex bought rps) and he said that there was no "money" in ground delivery and that would not be happening. Maybe the 1997 strike changed his mind when ups customers were walking up to rps ground drivers "begging" them to take their packages no matter what the cost was.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Smith is a master at spin and propaganda. FedEx can't deliver express packages with their ground fleet under the current labor laws. If FedEx becomes covered under the NLRA this would clear the way for FedEx to use one network for all deliveries.

Under RLA they must maintain separate ground and air operations.

Fedex is fighting the reclassification to NLRA with everything they have. The threat is meant to put fear in the express drivers to get their support for beating the reclassification of FedEx under NLRA.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Smith is a master at spin and propaganda. FedEx can't deliver express packages with their ground fleet under the current labor laws. If FedEx becomes covered under the NLRA this would clear the way for FedEx to use one network for all deliveries.

Under RLA they must maintain separate ground and air operations.

Fedex is fighting the reclassification to NLRA with everything they have. The threat is meant to put fear in the express drivers to get their support for beating the reclassification of FedEx under NLRA.

Ground is already under the NLRA, but since their drivers are not "employees", they can be replaced as the contractor (also not an employee) sees fit if they wanted to unionize.This is more than a scare tactic because FedEx has been planning this move for a long time and was going to try and implement it regardless of what happens with the RLA exemption.

For those of you who don't realize it, the Ground and Express networks are already intermingled. FedEx would prefer you not know, but Ground frequently moves via the Express network and vice-versa. For example, it's well-known that Ground freight to Alaska moves via FedEx Express aircraft. The Ground network moves Express freight as well. We've discussed the legality ad nauseum over on the FedEx forums, but it appears that FedEx feels it's legal to have the two divisions move each others freight when it suits the company. I'm sure there would be legal challenges if the E2 and SOS air products were switched over to Ground, but FedEx Legal may have an answer to that question that allows FedEx to do so.

Anyway, it's more than an anti-union tactic. It's a planned transition that has been in the works for quite awhile. They may try and spin it as a threat against Express employees leaning towards the Teamsters, but there is some major planning going on right now.

local804

I'm guessing this is information that both you and your customers will find useful. In the near future, they can expect their E2 and SOS to be late, damaged or both. Plus, they'll have the delightful experience of meeting our extremely professional Ground drivers, most of whom look like refugees from an outlaw motorcycle gang or recent prison parolees. It won't take long for shippers to figure-out that there is a big difference between the service they are getting now and what they'll receive in the future.

lol

bbsam

Staff member

And I will match up with you on any service or appearance standard you care to throw out there. Not only will I match up, I'll do it happily and proudly as part of the company.
And if UPS is able to take any business, it won't be because you tell them about it. As if UPS isn't already trying to get it.

FedExer267

Well the simple truth is we are not part of the company and if they expect more production out of Ground Couriers for what Their contractors pay they are sadly mistaken. Truth is we do not get properly compensated now everyone knows it. Working 12 hour days for what we get paid is unreal and if they want more they can pound sand.... Compensate us give us a real paycheck, overtime, sick pay, paid holidays and vacation and a retirement plan and medical benifits we might actually work harder til then they will get what we are willing to give. That goes under the you get what you pay for file....LOL

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Ground is already under the NLRA, but since their drivers are not "employees", they can be replaced as the contractor (also not an employee) sees fit if they wanted to unionize.This is more than a scare tactic because FedEx has been planning this move for a long time and was going to try and implement it regardless of what happens with the RLA exemption.

I understand ground is regulated under NLRA. Express is regulated under the RLA. Unless the labor law classification changes, express drivers cannot deliver both air and ground packages. How do propose FedEx is going to get around this without changing labor classifications?

Brown might be setting itself up by pushing the reclassification of FDX. If the reclassification effort is successful, what you say is entirely possible.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
And I will match up with you on any service or appearance standard you care to throw out there. Not only will I match up, I'll do it happily and proudly as part of the company.
And if UPS is able to take any business, it won't be because you tell them about it. As if UPS isn't already trying to get it.

Right. And you would probably be the only Ground contractor in the nation that could pull it off. LOL. UPS will take the business if Ground gets additional services and the sole reason will be poor performance.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I understand ground is regulated under NLRA. Express is regulated under the RLA. Unless the labor law classification changes, express drivers cannot deliver both air and ground packages. How do propose FedEx is going to get around this without changing labor classifications?

Brown might be setting itself up by pushing the reclassification of FDX. If the reclassification effort is successful, what you say is entirely possible.

Express drivers would only be delivering the Priority Air (10:30 am or 12:00 pm) service. Our 2-day air (E2) and the Standard Overnight product would be delivered by Ground, who will supposedly be able to deliver it by 3:00 in most markets. They can't even get pkgs. there on the right day, much less at a defined time. Perhaps the prisons can start a job training program so the new employees will be up to speed when they are paroled.

hudson

I will never forget about 3 years ago I was out delivering and had a cut in an area close to me and took a shortcut through the country and saw a fedex ground guy in one of the small box trucks. There was a 90 degree corner which we were both at about the same time as I looked over at him I started laughing pretty good...he had no shirt on and had a cig hanging out of his mouth. As he passed he threw up a peace sign at me.....classic.

About 6 months ago I saw a FedEx Ground driver with purple spots in his hair. It looked like he took a can of purple spray paint to his head to make himself look like a FedEx cheetah. Very professional...

hudson

Now that unionization is in the works over at FedEx Express, the prevailing theory is that Fred S is going to shift the Express E2 and SOS products over to Ground. There is ample evidence available that this is the plan, and based on the "wonderful" service that Ground provides, this is an excellent opportunity to tell customers that UPS can do a much better job for them.

There is lots of evidence to support this theory, especially the intense focus in Memphis on ensuring that the Ground business model is completely legal and bulletproof. Once this occurs, Fred is free to expand Ground and complete his "plan". More evidence is the fact that Express is leasing huge numbers of delivery vehicles at tremendous cost. Why replace a vehicle fleet that you're not going to need? FedEx has also purchased a large number of air-only Ground trailers and has installed lifts and ball-mat systems at many Ground facilities, specifically to handle air (former Express) business.

Thanks for the heads up. That gives me the rest of the month and all of June to pad my commission check for the quarter.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
About 6 months ago I saw a FedEx Ground driver with purple spots in his hair. It looked like he took a can of purple spray paint to his head to make himself look like a FedEx cheetah. Very professional...

Did he have a matching ZZ Top beard? If you want to strike terror into a Ground contractor, just say the following words very s-l-o-w-l-y.
"I-9 E-Verify Program". In many states, this means the driver never shows-up for work again.

hudson

Did he have a matching ZZ Top beard? If you want to strike terror into a Ground contractor, just say the following words very s-l-o-w-l-y.
"I-9 E-Verify Program". In many states, this means the driver never shows-up for work again.

We just went through the I-9 at UPS...I hope everything you are saying is true. I can't just start telling rumors to customers. UPS makes it a point not to trash to competition...All I can really do is wait for service failures and go from there. It will be interesting to see what really happens. Keep us updated please.