UPS STRIKE IN AUG?

Oldfart

The only people who would really benefit from an UPS strike are the people at the top of FedEx and the shareholders.
Doesn't anyone on here own stock? Why wouldn't anyone on the clock benefit? Doesn't more freight mean more hours which means more money? It does at my station anyway.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Dano said he quit. I quit UPS over 40 years ago. As a result, I have no interest in what goes on over there.

I quit less than a year ago after investing well over a decade in the company. You want to compare that to your UPS pit stop over 40 years ago?

Oldfart

I quit less than a year ago after investing well over a decade in the company. You want to compare that to your UPS pit stop over 40 years ago?
Still dont work for the company yet you hang around the forums. Very strange. Well over a decade? You CLAIMED to have first hand knowledge of Emery and Purolator when that was discussed earlier. You were not even around during those 2 companies heyday if you only worked a decade. More proof you really dont know what you are talking about.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Still dont work for the company yet you hang around the forums. Very strange. Well over a decade? You CLAIMED to have first hand knowledge of Emery and Purolator when that was discussed earlier. You were not even around during those 2 companies heyday if you only worked a decade. More proof you really dont know what you are talking about.
OMG. Really???? Who cares?? Why are you so concerned with what everyone else is doing? You must be the biggest narc in your building

Oldfart

OMG. Really???? Who cares?? Why are you so concerned with what everyone else is doing? You must be the biggest narc in your building
Like I said. He claimed to know about Emery and he just admitted he wasnt even at Fedex during Purolator days. I bet he had first hand knowledge of the Little Rock days as well.

Oldfart

Quote him. Thread, and # of posting.
Or shut up.
No need to. He knows it, I know it, even tex knows it. Dano kept telling tex how much he knew about the old days when Fedex and Emery went head to head. Come to find out he wasn't even working here 35 years ago. Prove me wrong bucko.

Oldfart

Quote him. Thread, and # of posting.
Or shut up.
Just for kicks, here you go. He likes to cut and paste as well. Plenty more where that came from. He knew Emery and Purolator was never a threat to Fedex. He had first hand knowledge. Just ask tex.
Nope, not playing fast and loose with anything.

Emery entered the small package market to compete with FDX in 1978. By '86 they began their decline. A year later they purchased Purolator (also losing tons of money) in an attempt to gain market share that saw 2 companies (FDX/UPS) dominating most of the market as a half-dozen or more smaller companies competed for the remainder. It didn't work well enough to matter and the company was eventually purchased by Consolidated Freightways in 1989, primarily as a way to give CF instant access to the international shipping industry.

One of the first orders of business was to shift focus away from small package competition with FDX/UPS and back towards the heavier freight volume that had seen success in the past. It did little to help, with Emery's losses reaching close to $40 million for the year. The first half of 1990 saw losses eclipsing $100 million and $127 million in losses for the year as a whole.

Nineteen ninety-one finally saw Emery withdraw almost entirely away from the small package segment, as the average shipment weight rose to over 120 lbs. from only 45 lbs. the year before. The start of aggressive cost cutting measures helped reduce losses to just over $80 million for that year.

So tell me, van -- what doesn't jibe? When was Emery a threat? Was it during the 2 or 3 years in the early 80s when they weren't losing money? Was it after '86 when they began a steep decline? Was in the ensuing years they were losing their shirts? Or was it when they stopped competing with FDX/UPS?

C'mon, van -- let's hear it.