UPS strike.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Since no one else has posted it, here's a little history lesson for you youngsters:

And the lesson from this history:
1) Greater animosity between management and the Union employees
2) Less drivers on the road today than before the strike in '97
3) Article 22.3 jobs never really worked out - Why the Union said they were striking
4) Central States Pension buy out - Why UPS said the Union went on strike

The '97 strike resulted in was non-Union FedEx taking jobs away from Union workers at UPS.

I welcome your thoughts on the lessons from the history of the 97 strike.

Re-Raise

UPS workers will always side with the Teamsters over the company. The customers will always side with the UPS workers over the company. That is the lesson from 97 in my opinion and it is still true today.

The company thought that with all the self directed work groups and opening the stock up to hourly employees that they could make a run at control of the pension. They were wrong.

Hopefully they will negotiate in good faith and not underestimate our resolve.

Re-Raise

And the lesson from this history:
1) Greater animosity between management and the Union employees.

Why? Explain to me from a management perspective why there would be more animosity after the strike. Because the workers proved they shut the whole thing down and management didn't like learning that?

moreluck

golden ticket member
UPS workers will always side with the Teamsters over the company. The customers will always side with the UPS workers over the company. That is the lesson from 97 in my opinion and it is still true today.

The company thought that with all the self directed work groups and opening the stock up to hourly employees that they could make a run at control of the pension. They were wrong.

Hopefully they will negotiate in good faith and not underestimate our resolve.

You can't make a blanket statement like that........I'm one customer that would cross a picket line to use UPS shipping and wouldn't think twice about it....... I spent 4 months crossing the grocer's picket line because I won't be forced to drive the freeway just for bread & milk. Don't be so sure that you really know your customers.

No one wins in a strike..........no one wins in a strike........you try saying it.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why? Explain to me from a management perspective why there would be more animosity after the strike. Because the workers proved they shut the whole thing down and management didn't like learning that?

This is viewpoint that I have heard quite a lot.

Management feels that the Union employees betrayed the company.
I think UPS management at that time believed (and acted) that all employees were part of the family and that UPS would take care of the family members. I'll go out on a limb and state that I believe that patriarchal feeling is gone.

The strike weakened UPS by diverting volume to FedEx ... some of which we have never gained back. Every large customer of UPS said they would never give all their volume to UPS again and for the most part ... they kept their word.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

That is total bull. The customers do not side with the UPS driver.
The Joe Blow who signs for the shipments on the dock may side with you but that guy doesn't make any decisions .. he is not the customer. He is also very envious of the UPS driver.
The customer is the person in that company that decides which carrier the company will use for their shipments and that customer doesn't have much use for Union employees because it makes their transportation costs higher.
The decision makers in a company tend to choose the non-Union FedEx driver over the Union UPS driver.

I don't like these facts anymore than you but those are facts backed up by the reality that we see everyday.

I personally belong to Sam's Club and to Costco. Costco tends to run a bit more than Sams but I will usually go to Costco because they take better care of their employees and still have a patriarchal culture like UPS use to.

Re-Raise

You can't make a blanket statement like that........I'm one customer that would cross a picket line to use UPS shipping and wouldn't think twice about it....... I spent 4 months crossing the grocer's picket line because I won't be forced to drive the freeway just for bread & milk. Don't be so sure that you really know your customers.

No one wins in a strike..........no one wins in a strike........you try saying it.

I don't cross picket lines. It tells me a lot about you that you do.

Re-Raise

The Joe Blow who signs for the shipments on the dock may side with you but that guy doesn't make any decisions .. he is not the customer. He is also very envious of the UPS driver.
The customer is the person in that company that decides which carrier the company will use for their shipments and that customer doesn't have much use for Union employees because it makes their transportation costs higher.
The decision makers in a company tend to choose the non-Union FedEx driver over the Union UPS driver.

I don't like these facts anymore than you but those are facts backed up by the reality that we see everyday.

I personally belong to Sam's Club and to Costco. Costco tends to run a bit more than Sams but I will usually go to Costco because they take better care of their employees and still have a patriarchal culture like UPS use to.

Sure most people prefer that corporate profits are higher so management and stockholders can reap more of the rewards. Why didn't UPS just replace the striking workers in 97 Hoax?

Dragon

Package Center Manager

everytime we try to get more volume from a shipper....sorry I can't give it all to you, I have to have a back up. Reality

Re-Raise

I love this argument that companies charge more for services because of their costs. Businesses charge what the market will bear for their products and services.

If we made less as employees the company would still raise prices for shipping each year if customers would pay it. They would just pocket more in profit.

It might only cost $3 to make an i-phone but if people will pay $500 for it that is what they will charge.

Re-Raise

UPS was caught by surprise and they were not prepared. UPS rarely makes the same mistake twice.

Are you jealous that we might gain in the next contract? Don't you think the people actually moving the packages that provide you with a job, should be compensated fairly while the company continues to make a profit?

Or are you struggling without the increased dividend checks?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just remember, of all the workers in the U.S. , only about 11-13% are union members. You might be special, but you are quite the minority.