UPS strike.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Unemployment has stayed at 9/1%, NO jobs were created this past August and for recent college grads the prospects for well compensated employment are bleaker since the end of WWII. Unless things improve about 5000% by 2013 a strike would be the stupidest move for either side.

Also RPS was a joke, when FEDEX merged with RPS in 2000 it was the same joke in a different wrapper............however the joke has been on us since about 2004. FEDEX ground and FEDEX Freight have been gaining market share by leaps and bounds and neither are showing no signs of slowing. We have played Keep up with them ( think Smart Post) and if a strike occurs in 2013 FEDEX is admirably prepared to take control of the Market Share.

Neither the Teamsters nor UPS would benefit from a strike

705red

Browncafe Steward
We were a family up to 97, hourly and management. Until UPS gave us the Best, last and final offer, then they mailed us propaganda and took us for granted. Ron Carey and hall out smarted UPS in this. The public support, haveing a Democrat as President, using the Part time America issue made the workers look like heroes and UPS as villians. UPS is treating the employees worse now, employees at least FT and seniority PTers are making more money now and if we are decent at saving money we would be able to afford a lengthy stirke, if one happened.

I was part of 3 strikes, 1 in 94/95ish for raising the Over 70lb weight to 150lbs, 97 and again in 98 for sups working. I would rather not have to strike again, but there are not to many other choices if the treatment of the workers, the subcontracting, diversion of our work, production harassment and 22.3 issues do not get resolved. IMO

If it does happen, UPS wont get caught twice wiith their pants down, but at the same time the employees would probably support it more. This years election for IBT office will be a telling point of how happy or unhappy Teamsters members are. IMO

moreluck

golden ticket member
Unemployment has stayed at 9/1%, NO jobs were created this past August and for recent college grads the prospects for well compensated employment are bleaker since the end of WWII. Unless things improve about 5000% by 2013 a strike would be the stupidest move for either side.

Also RPS was a joke, when FEDEX merged with RPS in 2000 it was the same joke in a different wrapper............however the joke has been on us since about 2004. FEDEX ground and FEDEX Freight have been gaining market share by leaps and bounds and neither are showing no signs of slowing. We have played Keep up with them ( think Smart Post) and if a strike occurs in 2013 FEDEX is admirably prepared to take control of the Market Share.

Neither the Teamsters nor UPS would benefit from a strike

Just Friday, Credit Suisse (sp) said to get out of FedEx and get into UPS.......the spread between Fdx & Ups is the closest it's been in a long time....used to be about $20. Just a way of looking.....they seem to be falling faster then UPS in the down market. It like under $10 spread right now.

pretzel_man

No one will win in a strike (other than FedEx). Come contract time, they will aggressively market our customers warning that a strike is a possibility. They will point to our union shop as a liability (as they do today). They will warn customers that they need to switch carriers if they want to ensure service.

If UPS makes a ridculous offer, you will refuse it and exercise your collective bargaining right to strike. That is your right and duty.

If the Union takes a ridiculous stand, UPS will hold their ground too. As was said, UPS was caught with their pants down last time. I doubt that is the case today.

The right answer is to understand that we should be not enemies. The enemy is FedEx. They continually take our packages and serve customers with a non-union workforce.

While you may think the company took the ridiculous stand in 1997, there are two sides to every story. No need to revisit that history, just to learn from it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
We should work together. We are not enemies. I wasn't here in 1997, but it does appear one side copped an attitude(UPS). I realize some think I have an 'agenda'. I do in the sense that I feel ups should be more appreciative of it's employees.

Sad. We should be compadres.

A

anonymous6

we all should be organizing fedex to level the playing field. you'd think management and hourlies could work together on this.

the war is not against each other . it's against fedex and the rest of the package industry.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
We need t o provide better service and provide the means to do this. In order to do this we need to stop this running and gunning attitude via bad time allowances and stop trying to push up the sphor and minimal send agains in non D.R. If it's a Non D.R. route then that route needs more time allowance and fewer stops.

We need more full time in order for these things to happen and I'd be willing to have these things in trade for no increase in wage or bennies.

Full time has great pay and bennies but need more time to perform better quality SERVICE.

SERVICE is what gave UPS 105 yrs. worth of customers and we need to get back to this BASIC IDEAL.

No time for preloaders to give Drivers a quality load either. Come on. Get to reality of this job and allow us to follow methodes and provide service without the ####'s being pushed harder per day.

Low quality service will loss more customer base, cost more in send agains or bad D.R.'s, lose of $$ in O.T. and chasing misloads and missed pieces.

Either contract that enables more Fulltimers to enable better QUALITY or we will push FOR HIGHER WAGES!!! How about that for an IDEA.