UPS strike

Serf

Your station? Oh, you can't strike anyway, you guys didn't even have the balls to bring in the union.
Unions were good for things like 5 day work weeks, 40 hrs, etc. A century ago. Now they are by and large bloated. People don’t realize how much they get screwed by Police and Teachers unions. Luckily Teamsters is the lesser of the evils.

Unions were good for things like 5 day work weeks, 40 hrs, etc. A century ago. Now they are by and large bloated. People don’t realize how much they get screwed by Police and Teachers unions. Luckily Teamsters is the lesser of the evils.
Is that why FedEx makes 30٪ - 65% less than we make in the exact same industry? It's even more embarrassing when you get into benefits.

Last edited:

bacha29

Public employee unions were born out of court rulings that allowed them form. However, the difference between public and private sectors is that public employers have few if any countermeasures to suppress union activity within their respective workforces.

Private sector employers have countermeasures it can use to deflect employee efforts to organize.

bacha29

Is that why FedExmakes 30٪ - 65% less than we make in the exact same industry? It's even more embarrassing when you get into benefits.
If the IBT comes away with a record new contract that puts ordinary UPS drivers at or close to $50 an hour then one outcome would be that it will make it damn hard for Ground contractors to explain their $15 dollar job offer for the same daily work load in a way that applicants will find agreeable. Not saying that contractors will not be able to fulfill their manpower needs but in the face of that big new contract it will not become any easier.

If the IBT comes away with a record new contract that puts ordinary UPS drivers at or close to $50 an hour then one outcome would be that it will make it damn hard for Ground contractors to explain their $15 dollar job offer for the same daily work load in a way that applicants will find agreeable. Not saying that contractors will not be able to fulfill their manpower needs but in the face of that big new contract it will not become any easier.
You bumped your head if you think they shouldn't already be ashamed to offer $15 for this job.

Lates

Most people have no idea how much UPS pays when they find out they are shocked like I was.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Is that why FedEx makes 30٪ - 65% less than we make in the exact same industry? It's even more embarrassing when you get into benefits.
FedEx gets what they pay for too. Here they leave packages on dock plates, packages in lobbies of shady apartments, and customers complain about them constantly. A bank on my route has been waiting on FedEx to pickup an envelope for a week.

AB831

I love having a Union job. Tell yourself what you have to

Serf

Listen, I’m not trashing Union guys. I know too many. Some decent, some thugs. They knuckle up. The exact same industry isn’t exactly true. In normal times express is supposed to be an overnight company. Leaving the building with 60 stops. Not leaving with 150-190.

Serf

I love having a Union job. Tell yourself what you have to
It’s like young people saying I love that weed is legal. Yea it’s legal to distract you from how bad you’re getting screwed in all other facets of your life. Ah, the union. I’m gone 14 hrs a day from my family. My body is crippled. I have no time for hobbies or personal interests, or my kids game. I’ll just go in the 9.5 list for a month if I need a break. Good on you guys. But my soul, my very liberty is worth more than living in my truck.

yadig

It’s like young people saying I love that weed is legal. Yea it’s legal to distract you from how bad you’re getting screwed in all other facets of your life. Ah, the union. I’m gone 14 hrs a day from my family. My body is crippled. I have no time for hobbies or personal interests, or my kids game. I’ll just go in the 9.5 list for a month if I need a break. Good on you guys. But my soul, my very liberty is worth more than living in my truck.
What a weakling

bacha29

Then simply find a better way to pay your bills.
Every person has their peak earning years. It's the time in their lives where you've got to make a little bit of money for yourself the best way you know how.
There is one common thread surrounding the box grunt business regardless of the carrier.....The job is a joint killer making it imperative that a person be positioned in such a way that when that job has completely destroyed their joints whether it be 66 or 46 their basic needs will still be met.
Given the constant ongoing attacks by corporate and political interests on health and welfare programs....you know....those evil so called "legacy costs" that must wiped off the books one way or another it's imperative that the IBT and it's membership put down those attacks on it's compensation and benefit plan. If they fail and settle for a compromised contract it will only serve to ramp up attacks on employee compensation and benefit plans both union and nonunion across a much broader segment of the economy.

Don't believe me?....Just take a look at what Memphis Fats has been doing these past few years with his own employee plans.

AB831

No, I definitely sympathize. My point is without that union, you’d be in the same boat making $15 an hour with no benefits like they do with FedEx Ground. You really should check out Fat Freddy’s “industry leading pay and benefits” to see why unions are useful.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

How much money did you make last year?