UPS strike

bacha29

Express revenue was 42 billion , ground 33 billion. If this goes sideways the whole show is over regardless of profit margins. Most companies bundle , if there’s no express , there will be no ground
What Raj The Jackal is claiming is that the express business will level off followed by a slow decline in both freight volume and margins.
Now if his consolidation plan collapses Raj can simply say to the stockholders....."Look. I did what you told me to do . It ain't my fault that the customers have rejected FDX as a shipping option. So just give me my golden parachute, book me a flight to New Delhi and it's hasta la vista, baby".

Gone fishin

What Raj The Jackal is claiming is that the express business will level off followed by a slow decline in both freight volume and margins.
Now if his consolidation plan collapses Raj can simply say to the stockholders....."Look. I did what you told me to do . It ain't my fault that the customers have rejected FDX as a shipping option. So just give me my golden parachute, book me a flight to New Delhi and it's hasta la vista, baby".
Raj is definitely the fall guy , that being said I don’t think all express goes ground. As they said different markets will be treated different. We’ll all find out eventually, I don’t even think they know

bacha29

There are DHL, USPS, Ontrac, and others...time for that Act to go away.
And if it were it would also apply to airlines (only 3 major ones left) for profit healthcare providers (think United Health, Medical Properties Trust) telecoms (only 3 left) . You still think that the Sherman should be abolished?

UPS isn't going to save FDX by buying it out and have to spend millions on lawyers to try to gain regulatory approval. All it has to do is to take FDX's business from it. Cheaper and easier.

It will be fine

FDX will be able to undercut UPS rates by a lot when One FedEx is done and the teamsters have bled UPS for their bloated wages. It’s going to be tough competition for packages and with overall rates going up, cheaper is going to win a big share.

Thebrownblob

FDX will be able to undercut UPS rates by a lot when One FedEx is done and the teamsters have bled UPS for their bloated wages. It’s going to be tough competition for packages and with overall rates going up, cheaper is going to win a big share.
They said that for 20 years. Every big company that has switched on my route his switched back. FedEx software is awful and the service is even worse.

It will be fine

You do realize UPS is happy to get rid of unprofitable business and give it to FedEx? Right?
9B39E2CF-8F41-4CFA-ADA6-3BC2AFD4D0DB-13372-000003D7635B6F01.gif

bacha29

It's like I told people. "There's cheap and then there's economical....And right now we're just cheap".
"Bloated wages", huh? If so then why is UPS still the industry leader?
Fully replicating and matching the UPS service quality and reliability will be an enormous task....And do it at a lower cost? I don't think Memphis Fats or Raj The Jackal have any idea of what their newest cobbled together Rube Goldberg style invention is going to be up against.

Contractors at the terminal I hauled out of are begging for help but all are offering $15 an hour and zero benefits. Now guess who's right across the road from that terminal?.....UPS.
Now if the Ground contractors at that terminal are able to BS enough applicants (assuming that there actually are applicants) into believing that 1/3 the wages and zero benefits for doing the same hard labor with no set length of workday is a job actually worth working then they're all set.

It will be fine

It's like I told people. "There's cheap and then there's economical....And right now we're just cheap".
"Bloated wages", huh? If so then why is UPS still the industry leader?
Fully replicating and matching the UPS service quality and reliability will be an enormous task....And do it at a lower cost? I don't think Memphis Fats or Raj The Jackal have any idea of what their newest cobbled together Rube Goldberg style invention is going to be up against.

Contractors at the terminal I hauled out of are begging for help but all are offering $15 an hour and zero benefits. Now guess who's right across the road from that terminal?.....UPS.
Now if the Ground contractors at that terminal are able to BS enough applicants (assuming that there actually are applicants) into believing that 1/3 the wages and zero benefits for doing the same hard labor with no set length of workday is a job actually worth working then they're all set.
I don’t believe FedEx has any intention on competing with UPS based on service quality. It’s purely a cost approach now.

Thebrownblob

I don’t believe FedEx has any intention on competing with UPS based on service quality. It’s purely a cost approach now.
And we agree on that. That only last for so long and then people are tired of poor service. Unless their company is about to go out of business and can’t afford it. Then those are the companies that can’t pay their bills and UPS does not like that business anyway.

bacha29

I didn't know that Raj and Fat Freddy want to be UPS janitor. If there's still some gain to be had by being the industry bottom feeder and enough to make it worthwhile then that will just have to be it's industry role.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Yesterday, the IBT walked out of contract negotiations stating that a strike was "imminent" . Now O'Brien ever since he was elected president told his membership time and time again to get their affairs in order and plan for a strike in 2023. His power as national president is only as strong as his members have economically prepared themselves for a long term strike.

What percentage of his membership have done that? I'd say....perhaps....one out of four.

The majority of the rest will continue to treat their big checks and benefits like they're birthrights rather than to confront head on the growing threat to the security of those paychecks and benefits.
Good Lord, why do you comment on things you know absolutely nothing about?