UPS subsidizing non ups pensions

wkmac

it should not be this hard to get correct information.

Those 10 words are really at the heart of this whole situation. This problem has been building for many years and what does the IBT and UPS do? IBT sits silent until the problem is so severe they have to react and can't hide it anymore and UPS decides it wants to limit it's own liability and make a move to take over the pension fund. Now I'm sure there are truckloads of reasons why both sides took the actions they did but the bottomline is both sides hid the real picture of what was building.

As for the actuary information, several years ago after the balloon went up, a number of IBT members joined together to try and get info from the IBT and Central States including the Actuary Tables they used and were denied. Lil' Jimmy himself even authorized an actuary study but refused to disclose that info to the membership at large. A lawsuit did result but where it stands now I don't know but I will say this much. To many of us have come to distrust the IBT and it's promises to look out for your interests. They are as much a business as UPS is a business and neither in the end have your best interest at heart. The only way to benefit from either/both is when your interests coincide with theirs and then you gain but the moment it doesn't then you'll get the shaft. This in not an indictment against either to single them out alone as this is the nature of business. You either learn and adjust to work within that frame work or you just go nuts. You've got to plan and have alternatives, you can't rely on either one because odds are they won't come through.

We are not gonna get the monthly pension increased and we are not gonna get the retire age reduced back to 55 or some of the 25 and 30 and out options we once had. I do think we have an option however that is worth pushing for which would at least allow for what I would call an "escape plan" at 57. I'm not looking to go sit on the couch and eat bon-bons when I retire but at 57 when I've had well over 30 years of FT service at UPS, I'd like to leave this rat race and do something different, less stressful and not exactly for the money either. Do something I really enjoy. Like one co-worker said, his dream job was to be a reviewer of adult films and strip clubs. LOL! I think I can do better but I understood his humeorus point. We should be pushing hard as a first step for the total and complete elimination of all work restricitons for all retirees at any age unless that work is for another IBT covered employer. I do and can understand that point. I do think this is doable and I also don't think this matters one way or the other to Central States itself but is rather a point of order instilled by the IBT itself. Now the total restriction imposed in Nov. 03' was a Central States one to put a halt to as many as possible from retiring at the moment and as a result of the firestorm among retirees and current working members, many who were about to retire and those who had specific plans once retired, CS bent to the pressure (even Hoffa was forced to go to bat on this one) and the changes have been moderated a great deal. However, they could change at any moment and they still are limiting. We should be pushing hard and making this a "make or break" deal with the union leadership.

This is a battle I think we can win because it's a political battle and pure numbers would make this win-able. It may not be the $10k per month of the IAM or the promised $7k per month of the APWA but it would at least give some of us an out at 57 to get away from this worsening pressure cooker and for the younger guys, it would open up chances to move up or move into other jobs with better opportunities. I see this as a win/win for both the older and young UPS Teamster.

Consider now that these retirees who are currently collecting retirement benefits will not be with us much longer.

Yes, you are correct in a cold kinda way but you have one problem you failed to mention. Those retirees you speak of were part of a smaller generation of worker as the overall population was smaller. We are just entering the timeframe for the babyboomer generation to start retiring and like with social security, the babyboomers of which I am one, are the real fear factors in all of this. If you'll read much of the info sent out on a quarterly basis by CS (Teamwork Magazine) you can see that part of the "perfect storm" scenario was the growing numbers of retirees now and on the horizon. And the problem is really not so much the monthly pension payout but what's killing us and many other is the cost of healthcare, especially retiree healthcare. Isn't is odd that 62' became the magic number in that you monthly medical cost is at it's lowest and under the current retiree work rules, you can just about work any job and in some cases even work an IBT covered job and still keep your pension. Why? Ah, you are nearing that magic age where the gov't will pickup you medical costs and the union is off the hook. If they can get us all to work until were 62' everything will be AOK and that is the goal but to be honest I'm not looking forward to doing that for 10 plus more years although I've mentally prepared myself to do so.

Look around at other companies with pension concerns like GM for example. They've already openly admitted their problems are the rising medical costs and it's a driving factor for them. Even here at UPS for not only us but for those covered by company plans, we've all seen vast changes to our medical benefits and those management folks brave enough to express an open opinion are about as happy as we are. This is a fact of life, not something specific to us as Teamsters or even UPSers. And it will likely get worse because as UPS/Teamsters covered by CS, we've had our healthcare contract increases the last 2 years taken to place into the CS pension fund and this will continue through this current contract. In otherwords, your current healthcare today is being bought with 2003' dollars so now you know why you medical bennies continue to worsen. "THEY NEVER TOLD ME THIS!" Oh yes they did, you just failed to read those quarterly Teamwork magazines they send out as you so blindly trust your union.

Now let's talk babyboomers and UPS specifically. You have a situation where in the 70's and 80's UPS saw huge growth and with it, it's IBT covered workforce. Those workers, again of which I am one, are on the edge of retiring and in pretty large numbers. Now UPS is still doing pretty good so the ratio of retirees to active workers is still very healthy. I believe the ratio is over 5 working to 1 retiree currently. UPS knows this and thus one of the reasons they are more than willing to take control of the whole thing because it's a piece of cake to quickly overfund the plan and thus they can actually make money and we still get a nice retirement but that's water over the damn. APWA also knows that the monies earmarked for pensions under the current contract compounded with the worker/retiree ratio makes their ability to overfund very easy and again you have the nice suggested payouts. The IAM is 124% overfunded and look at their monthly payouts. I remember hearing a union official say back in the late 80's that you never wanted a fully funded or overfunded pension plan and I thought to myself at the time what a stupid thing to say. I know now that underfunding means control factor so that explains that! UPS alone has some great demographics and going into the future it still looks good. But when you add us in to a fund bogged down with what CS has, the picture is rather bleak.

It is possible for CS to survive and even get through the babyboomer generation and also get past the numerous trucklines that went bye-bye in the 80's and 90's. The question is not will it but rather what will it cost to do so and specifically what will it cost us, the UPS members, to do so?

On the one hand, you can take the blue pill and tomorrow you will wake up in your bed and your secure world and all will be fine or you can take the red pill and see just how far the rabbit hole goes!

nospinzone

On the one hand, you can take the blue pill and tomorrow you will wake up in your bed and your secure world and all will be fine or you can take the red pill and see just how far the rabbit hole goes!
How long ya had that line in your pocket waitin to use it, Mac? :lol: Very true, which is why its so good.

Cezanne

Truth is that most of us will never be able to get the whole inside story with the current underfunding. Best we can do is piece events from the past and throw out conjectures or theories. As wkmac stated most of us with any amount of time at UPS had the hope of seeing the light at the end of tunnel with the 25 and 30 year any age retirement. Not like we would retire millionaires like some of our management counterparts, but we could go into another career that would not be so taxing on our bodies and enjoy time with our family. Now most of us show up to work trying to place it as safe as possible and pace ourselves with the prospect of working past 60. For the veterans those days of busting your butt to make your manager make more stock bonuses are over, it is a matter of survival now. Many of us have seen the attrition of our workforce forced out due to permanent disability. Considering the physical demands of any UPS UNION job position, most of us go to work with our aches and pains and hope it will not be the big one that will end our careers. Even if we are playing it safe today, consider the abuses and stress that our bodies have taken over the decades.

Is anybody concerned? Afraid that we are between a rock and a hard place with this pension issue. The union run plans' trustees only concern is to keep money from going out of their funds, therefore no more future early retirees. Look in the headlines today, companies are screaming about health coverages for their employees and retirees, most of the show downs recently with unions and companies are over health costs for their employees. Believe that medicad/medicare goes into effect at 65 or 62, again the savings in not provided coverages for early retirees is a big consideration when these trustees get together. If we are relying on the union to negotiate improvements that will in the long run hurt their interests, think again. No need to explain the company's run on this if you have worked long enought to be concerned with retirement over the next contract.

Maybe there is some hope with the early negotiations going on. There is alot of creative ways that pension and benefit plans can adjust their requirements for a possible early out option (at least a 30 year one). One problem in the central states fund is the beginnng ages of the UPS full time participants, most of us started in that plan in our early or mid thirties. Imagine that most of the new participants in that are coming from the combo or inside full time positions with UPS, just looking around at most of them in my building they are 40 years of age or over. The perfect scenario would be for these participants to be in their early 20's for investment possibilities, do not see this happening till us old foggies start leaving. Can really be a win-win situation for both the company and union if smart people put some real creative effort into this problem, with the fear of old school thinking and greed coming into play.

J

JonFrum

mr frum, IAm members do have more put to their fund for pensions, you are right on that. Now do you have any clue as to how much? Running the figures they will have a little over $800 put in over 30 years! yes that is more but not a difference of over $7,000 in 30 years time.

Just be sure you compare apples to apples. Take a Teamster member and compare him to an IAM member. Ideally they should be the same age with the same years of accrued Pension Credits. There's no question the IAM plan is superior, especially if you compare it to Central States. My sense of fairness tells me that first we should average all Teamsters plans, then average all IAM plans (or UPS plans, or whatever) and then compare averages to averages. It's not fair to compare, say, one of the worst teams in the American League with one of the best teams in the National League, and conclude the National League is better, and better by the degree of difference between the two teams compared. I realize this average-to-average comparison makes the bad guys seem not quite so bad, and the good guys seem not quite so good, but it is the fair, and hence most accurate way. Obviously, many in the Central States plan will not be very interested in the niceites of statistically valid comparisons. They lost money and they are angry.

Apples-to-apples also means comparing a presently earned retirement benefit amount of one plan with a presently earned retirement amount of another plan. And if the one plan benefit is not collectible until, say, age 65, then the other must be as well. Do not project that one worker will sit inactively for years waiting for his inflation-eroded checks to begin on his 65th birthday, while the other worker keeps working and adding to his Pension Credit account and thus earning a higher benefit amount. The two are not being fairly compared.

It's very hard to compare pension funds fairly because they have different features, and even their similar features have differing details. For example, I assume everyone will compare the Teamster benefit to the grandfathered IAM benefit. No one will use the IAM "new groups" scale that is 40% less. Maybe a fair comparison would use a weighted average of the old and new IAM scales for comparison, even though no one may actually receive such an average. Like when you average one-child and two-child families and conclude the average family has one-and-a-half children. It's statistically valid, so long as everyone understands there are no actual "half children" running around loose.

We should also realize that fortunes ebb and flow, and there were times when the funds that are in bad shape now were doing well and those that are now doing well may someday fall on hard times. So comparisons must also take into account that a snapshot in time may catch one fund at a bad time and the other at a good time.

I'm not defending the bad performing funds. Just trying to speak accurately about them and to quiet the shrill, inaccurate critics. Remember, I'm not even in the Central States fund. I never told any one to join the fund. The idea of contributing money into a retirement fund that will confiscate your money until you earn it back by earning five years of something called "Vesting Service" (formerly ten years!) strikes me as nutty. And yet you did it, and so did I. OK. I admit it. When I was young and irresponsible, I was young and irresponsible.

J

JonFrum

I wish more people would take this opportunity to educate themselves about the very confusing and complicated subject of Pension Funding instead of attributing attitudes and opinions to me, and trash-talking like in these few exerpts . . .

. . . you know that number is totally misleading . . .
. . . you now appear to be attempting to mislead this crowd . . .
. . . The true number as you should know . . .
. . . Now instead of misleading the crowd . . .
. . . Dude you are really out there now . . .
. . . you now give those here no hope . . .
. . . Sounds like anonymous Jon is an IBT pension stalwart who will now tell us why this central states pension plan is the next best thing to sliced bread. . . .
. . . this anonymous schumk defending the ailing multi employer plans is another part to this problem. . . .
. . . don't hide tell us who you are and who you represent? . . .

Well, apparently the rules of the Internet and of this website changed and we're all supose to post under our real names. OK. I'm Bill Desmond. I just turned 53 years of age and have 25 years and 8 months Pension Credit. I work in the Lynnfield, Ma. building where I am in my 32nd Year of Toil for the Big Brown Empire. I have an Article 22.3 job where I carwash, park package cars, and shift in the trailer yard. I was a part-timer until the 22.3 jobs came along during the last Contract. I have been a member of Teamsters Local 42 in Lynn, Ma. since 1973. I worked for UPS during the summers of '73 and '74 while off from college, (where they never taught us what a "schumk" is) before working continuously since the summer of '75. I've subscribed to TDU's Convoy Dispatch for years. This thread is my first Internet posting.

To learn about Jon Frum (something every UPSer and US military guy will find interesting) do an Internet search on the Jon Frum Movement or on Cargo Cults or try these links . . .

jon frum home page - the jon frum movement, an active cargo cult on tanna, an island in vanuatu, melanesia, south pacific. What are the origns of the man, myth, legend, behind Jon Frum?

In John They Trust

nthposition online magazine: The last cargo cult

Cargo cult - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plastic: The Gods Must Be Shipping! — The Cargo Cult Of John Frum

J

JonFrum

In regards to your original request about information stating that UPS subsidizes Non-UPS pensions

The following quote was taken from this document...
"The Central States plan currently pays approximately $1
billion annually to 100,000 retirees that lack a contributing employer. Those benefits
consume nearly 100 percent of the annual contributions received by the plan from all the
remaining employers. Contributing employers can no longer shoulder this entire burden
which is mounting each year."

I think this sums it up pretty well...

I don't deny that Central States has dug itself into a deep hole, but I'm not sure I understand why 100,000 retirees that "lack a contributing employer" must consume nearly all the contributions of the entire current employer group. Didn't these retirees have a contributing employer all along who contributed on their behalf. Isn't that how they earned the right to a pension, by having their contributing employer do what contributing employers do, namely, contribute? Can't those "orphan" retirees also use the funds contributed in years' past by their contributing employers on behalf of the many fellow employees who never achieved Vesting Status and so their contributions were forfeited and retained by the fund? Wasn't the benefit amount of some of these retirees frozen at a low rate years ago and hasn't it been eaten by inflation up until the time they were finally able to start collecting? Haven't the contributed funds been earning investment income all these years (other than the recent loss years, of course?)

I'd like to know more about the definition of the phrase, "lack a contributing employer." If a retiree works for several different employers throughout his, say, thirty year career, are all of them said to be out of business, or only one, or what? It seems to me that a thirty year man with thirty years of employer contributions, from more than one employer, is not really different than a thirty year man with thirty years of contributions from one employer.

Remember, any current contributions from a retirees' employer are not for the retiree, they are for the current, "Active" employees who are earning their way to their own thirty year pension. In effect, all retirees are without a contributing employer regardless of weather the employer still is in business and contributing or not, because all current contributions are contributed for the benefit of individual, current (Active) employees, not retirees. Retirees draw on past contributions. Active employees have individual Pension Credit accounts funded by current contributions as recorded in the individual account statement the fund sends you every year.

It may be that if a fund looses a ton of money then the retirees may, if they as a group live long enough, exhaust the portion of the general fund's assets to which their Pension Credits entitle them, and then, well, the money has to come from somewhere. Maybe the fund would start redirecting current employer contributions away from their intended purpose and into the benefit checks of orphaned retirees. Again, I've been asking someone to explain how this works, if in fact they claim this is what's happening. But all I ever see are repeated general statements that 60% of UPS contributions are being consumed by other companies' retirees, without any details or proof. And now I'm told that nearly 100% of all employer's contributions, not just UPS', are being sucked into this retiree Black Hole. Wow! At this rate the entire state of Illinois has probably been sucked in, and surrounding states are being drawn toward the rim even as we speak.

J

JonFrum

Here are some thoughts based on my recent research into this whole pension mess . . .

1) All talk about employers, like UPS, having to pay excise taxes or fines or make emergency "contributions" above and beyond what they already are contractually obligated to make, as a result of Teamsters pension funds being seriously underfunded, should stop. If any one knows of UPS receiving such a payment demand, please tell us. Otherwise, let's regard this as alarmist rhetoric and remove it from the discussion.

2) Unless someone knows of some law that would allow it, we should assume that the monies contributed to the Teamsters plans by UPS (on our behalf), are stuck in the Teamsters plans until we individually become eligible to collect them (if ever) in the form of a monthly retirement benefit check (or an individual lump-sum retirement check.) We probably can't, as a group, ask for our money back, just as you probably can't get the United Way to refund your contributions of ten and twenty years ago. So either state convincing grounds for being able to transfer the funds to a new fund, or I suggest we regard this idea as naieve and move on.

3) The APWA needs to publish on-line their version of the UPS collective bargaining agreement, their version of their pension plan Rules & Regulations and Summary Plan Description, their version of their Health & Welfare program, their versions of the respective Trust Agreements, their Constitution and By-Laws, and any other important documents of a similar nature. If they don't have finalized versions, then publish proposed versions, just as the Teamsters and UPS submit proposed contract changes to each other during negotiations. Please don't tell me to e-mail or call APWA with my questions, or tell me to check their website, or ask them to hold a meeting in my area, which seems to be the standard reply to any request. I'm trying to get beyond the superficial and get some actual facts so we can all make informed judgements. We need official information and as much detail as posssible.

4) All pension funds are probably doing better financially now that the stock market has recovered somewhat. Furthermore, the current Contract runs thru July 31, 2008, which should put a lot more money into the funds by the time it expires. In addition, recent pension legislation has put all pension plans on notice that they must improve their financial situation pronto. The Central States fund is even confiscating three years of Health & Welfare raises and "redirecting" them into the pension fund. Maybe they'll do it with next year's H & W raise as well. Leaving the funds will trigger Withdrawal Liability and lawsuits and probably the Trustees will take evasive action to get as much out of UPSers as possible before any move is final. Doesn't this all mean any change will be very expensive indeed? Can anyone provide details?

5) Can someone explain to me why no one ever discussed the Rules and Regulations of the various pension plans. These plans all have features and each of you sinks or swims depending upon how each feature of the plan effects you. Plan features are just like the various provisions of the UPS Contract. You will be helped or harmed, depending upon weather the language says one thing or the opposite. Most UPSers pay little attention to the Contract, but at least there are negotiations and contract meetings every few years. No one seemed to want to investigate and amend the pension plan provisions. No one wanted a vote, they just accepted the plan on faith. Don't you think it odd that one can be enrolled in the plan for twenty or more years and never give a thought to reading the document, much less insisting that onerous features be changed for the better. Unless financial disaster strikes, then they get interested, but by then it may be too late.

6) So many seem to believe the problem with the pension funds is that the Teamsters are taking 60% of UPSers contributions and using them to fund other people's retirement. My view is that the major problem is not the Teamsters, but UPS. Nearly every decision big and small that UPS makes has pension consequences, even though most don't realize it. UPS policies make it very difficult to actually qualify for a pension. For one reason or another, many UPSers fail to meet the requirements set by the plan trustees and thus some or all of the money UPS contributed on their behalf is forfeited to the fund. The money becomes the property of the fund and is then available for whatever the Trustees wish to spend it on, like other people's retirement. In effect, trying to survive at UPS long enough to actually collect a pension is like playing a lottery in which only a relative handfull are declared winners. I'm trying to generate a list of all the UPS policies that make it difficult to accumulate enough Pension Credits to collect benefits. It's a long list. You can get an idea of how difficult it is to make it to retirement at UPS by considering this unbelievable statistic. In 1986 only 31 UPSers in all of New England were actually drawing a retirement check. That's right. Of all the UPSers past and present (in 1986) in all six New England states, only 31 actually managed to successfully run the gauntlet and survive at UPS long enough to actually make it to the finish line. This figure is actually a bit high because it includes deceased UPSers who's checks were being received be their surviving spouse. The figure for 1987 was 46 retirees. These figures are from the discovery process of a 1986 Class Action lawsuit against the New England fund. This tells me that, for the most part, UPSers are simply abandoning their contributions in the various funds by failing to meet retirement qualifications. It's not appropriate to refer to abandoned or forfeited funds as being stolen by the Teamsters or as being used to subsidize other's retirement at UPSers' expense. According to The Law, if you don't show up to use your season tickets, the owners may give your seat to someone else. You abandoned it. The Law regards that as your freely chosen decision. And now the bad news. If you switch to a UPS-only retirement fund, you will still be dealing with UPS, and presumably their retirement-hostile policies, unless you intend to get those policies changed somehow. (It seems management UPSers are having their problems surviving until retirement at UPS too.) We need to determine how many retired UPSers are actually collecting checks from each of the funds currently. If the numbers are low, this will tell us that UPSers are just not qualifying for retirement, and largely abandoning the monies UPS contributed in their name.

Ironshot

I don't deny that Central States has dug itself into a deep hole, but I'm not sure I understand why 100,000 retirees that "lack a contributing employer" must consume nearly all the contributions of the entire current employer group. Didn't these retirees have a contributing employer all along who contributed on their behalf. Isn't that how they earned the right to a pension, by having their contributing employer do what contributing employers do, namely, contribute? Can't those "orphan" retirees also use the funds contributed in years' past by their contributing employers on behalf of the many fellow employees who never achieved Vesting Status and so their contributions were forfeited and retained by the fund? Wasn't the benefit amount of some of these retirees frozen at a low rate years ago and hasn't it been eaten by inflation up until the time they were finally able to start collecting? Haven't the contributed funds been earning investment income all these years (other than the recent loss years, of course?)

I'd like to know more about the definition of the phrase, "lack a contributing employer." If a retiree works for several different employers throughout his, say, thirty year career, are all of them said to be out of business, or only one, or what? It seems to me that a thirty year man with thirty years of employer contributions, from more than one employer, is not really different than a thirty year man with thirty years of contributions from one employer.

Remember, any current contributions from a retirees' employer are not for the retiree, they are for the current, "Active" employees who are earning their way to their own thirty year pension. In effect, all retirees are without a contributing employer regardless of weather the employer still is in business and contributing or not, because all current contributions are contributed for the benefit of individual, current (Active) employees, not retirees. Retirees draw on past contributions. Active employees have individual Pension Credit accounts funded by current contributions as recorded in the individual account statement the fund sends you every year.

It may be that if a fund looses a ton of money then the retirees may, if they as a group live long enough, exhaust the portion of the general fund's assets to which their Pension Credits entitle them, and then, well, the money has to come from somewhere. Maybe the fund would start redirecting current employer contributions away from their intended purpose and into the benefit checks of orphaned retirees. Again, I've been asking someone to explain how this works, if in fact they claim this is what's happening. But all I ever see are repeated general statements that 60% of UPS contributions are being consumed by other companies' retirees, without any details or proof. And now I'm told that nearly 100% of all employer's contributions, not just UPS', are being sucked into this retiree Black Hole. Wow! At this rate the entire state of Illinois has probably been sucked in, and surrounding states are being drawn toward the rim even as we speak.
Jon boy are you skarred? The CS pension fund is a sinking ship men. Staying on board isn't going to keep it afloat but just a few days longer.. When the time comes I hope you're in the right place. The funding clock starts this Jan. 07... Seven yrs to 90 percent level.. fewer contributors into the fund... more boomers retiring...sounds like social security. Looks like the numbers don't add up here. If the gov't gets the CS fund you'll just get a few cents on the dollar. You see, SS is going broke about the year I expected to retire, I have figured the SS check to be my pocket cash. Out of the 1700 it was or is said to be worth per month... Since I am a UPSF driver and my pension is good where it is at 102 percent with a multi billion dollar company looking after it. I figure it is as good of a chance as any I'll see it as it is now. So no I will not endanger it by supporting the IBT.
For those of you near retirement you'll see my tax dollars cover your SS check.. enjoy! I am stuck helping you no matter what, no one should expect anyone to fork over their pension monies also.
You'll never see me as a member of the IBT... The "I'm a proud Teamster for Kerry" bumper sticker is reason enough.

I'll be APWA or at another job. "Principals"

J

JonFrum

If you're in the New England Teamsters and Trucking Industry Pension Fund, and you still haven't received your annual statement from the Fund reporting your Hours Credited for 2005, it's probably because you have over 25 years of Pension Credit. Aparently the Fund has a new policy of not sending annual statements to those with 25 or more years!!! You can still go online and get your statement, or you can call the Fund and ask them to send you one. They won't send it automatically anymore, and they won't tell you that they won't be sending it.
- - - -
UPS contributes money on your behalf to the New England fund up to a maximum of 40 hours per week. Once you have earned 1800 hours of contributions in a calendar year, you have earned your One Full Pension Credit for that year. Any additional contributions do not earn you anything more. All contributions above 1800 hours, up to the maximum yearly contribution of 2080 hours is forfeited to the fund. A full-timer, for example, who earns 40 hours pay each week has already earned his full year's Pension Credit once he has worked 45 weeks. The contributions made in the remaining 7 weeks of the year are a gift to the fund. This year started on January 1, 2006, convienently enough, and has 52 weeks. So anyone who has earned a 40-hour or more paycheck every week so far, will have earned their one full year Pension Credit by the end of this week, November 11. (Saturday also happens to be Veterans' Day.) The remaining three weeks of November and the four weeks of December are a Christmas Season gift to the fund.

At the current contribution rate of $5.06 per hour, times 40 hours per week, that's $202.40 per week, times seven weeks, that's $1,416.80 generously donated to the fund, times the number of 40-hour-a-week full-timers, no strings attached. UPS makes lots of generous gifts to the various Teamsters' pension funds. The details are spelled out in New England Suplement Article 69 of your UPS contract, and the Summary Plan Description of your pension plan. It's all there in black and white. The Law assumes you read and understand and agree to these provisions and that UPS does to. If you didn't agree, The Law assumes you would have done something about it.

If you think UPS and individual UPSers give a lot to the United Way, that's peanuts compared to the gifts UPS bequeaths to the pension funds in your name. Usually it's known in advance that the UPSer will never claim the money for himself. I call that a pure gift, no strings attached. Sometimes the UPSer may later qualify for pension benefits, or a higher level of pension benefits, but this may not be known at the time of the bequest. I call that a gift with strings attached, a contingent gift. Some contingent gifts later convert to no-strings-attached gifts, when the UPSer who might have qualified for a pension, if fact, fails to do so. Unrestricted gifts can be used by the fund for whatever purpose it chooses, like to fund the retirement of workers from other companies. UPS, as the gift donor, has no legal basis for complaining how the money is spent or asking for it's money back.

There are several other situations where UPS is moved to share it's bounty with the pension funds, but the major ones are the huge group of temporary workers hired during summer and especially winter free periods, and the huge group of regular workers that never achieve Vesting Status.

Ironshot

Jonfrum,
Nice spread on the NE stuff, it's nice to see how the dollars are spread.
This just high lighted the arguement to remove UPSer's monies from the plan.
If UPS is going to make "Generous Donations" it is best made to and for it's own employee's. Like I said; the other day the 1986 decision in the 3rd circuit leaves the door open to removing those funds from the Teamsters.
A lot of working people are tired of carrying the mistakes of Government run entitlement programs and now pension programs. I've really signed off the idea of getting Social Security myself, but I'm still paying for others now. Now do you think workers should be sympathetic to the mismanaged pension funds?
Also, I was surprised to find that no IBT supporter corrected a statement I made regarding the "gravy" the part timers contribute to the pension funds. Since UPS uses about 50 percent part timers, usually young healthly men and women just around for college cash, little if nothing for their medical expenses. Most don't stay long enough to vest. As I suggested the IBT gave away FT positions in favor of these cash cow PT positions. But, of course the truth is the Part timers Pension and Medical Insurance dollars are kept by the company and our "under funded" pensions don't see this "free money"? I ask, is this good bargaining? I hear it from time to time "the APWA has never Negotiated a contract"! The UPS pilots ( once Teamsters ) did a nice job with their contract? Never negotiating a contract. It's not rocket science.
Finally you still haven't come out and ID'd yourself as individual or "Propagandist" hack for your employer?
In closing, I say this again, the 3rd circuit is 1. most likely a liberal bench, ( not necessarily the best place to choose a ruling against organized labor?
2. The UPS employee's in this action? How many? The available dollars available to put into a vigious litigation battle? 3. Who or whom were the attorneys for the UPS employee's? And what was the experience level of said attorneys.. People, our American revolution never would have happened if the organizers decided to stay in the taverns, town halls and
accept the nay sayers "You can't hope to beat the British Army" montra! from a ragtag outfit to victory.
So it will be with the APWA, the truth, a decidely democratic organization
made up of former teamsters tired of the IBT garbage. Join the revolution!

J

JonFrum

Ironshot's questions,
My replies . . .

". . . you still haven't come out and ID'd yourself as individual or "Propagandist" hack for your employer?"
I don't understand this question. I am an individual who is posting on my own without consulting with anyone whatsoever.

". . . the 3rd circuit is . . . most likely a liberal bench, ( not necessarily the best place to choose a ruling against organized labor?)"
It's the 1st Circuit, Boston, Ma. A very Liberal area, ( I don't know about the bench,) but this lawsuit pitted Teamsters rank-and-file reformers against Teamsters Old Guard pension fund Trustees. Both sides are "organized labor."

"The UPS employee's in this action? How many?"
2,500. I assume this number reflects only actual dues payers. Dues were $30 per year for full-timers, $10 for part-timers. The suit was a Class Action so the five named individuals presumably represented nearly all the UPS full-timers and part-timers in New England.

"The available dollars available to put into a vigious litigation battle?"
Over a quarter million dollars, which back then (1986-1993) was a lot of money. Also an actuarial study of the pension fund was conducted by the John Hancock Insurance Co. at no cost because they expected to get the pension business of the UPS people if they sucessfully got their money out of the fund. This study was the basis of the case. It would have cost maybe $40,000 to commission it for pay. Originally a cap on the legal fees was negotiated of $115,000: $35,000 for Negotiations, $40,000 for Discovery, $25,000 for Trial, and $15,000 for 1st Circuit Court of Appeals. Numerous motions and delays by the other side ran up the cost beyond that. At one point NETPIC had spent $227, 812 and was asking for further donations.

"Who or whom were the attorneys for the UPS employee's? And what was the experience level of said attorneys."
Anthony Feeherry, assisted by Marie Buckley, both of Goodwin, Proctor and Hoar, a big law firm in Boston (200 attorneys.) The NETPIC committee ultimately said, "regardless of the decision from Judge Harrington, our lawyers did a phenomenal job. We could not have retained better lawyers, even if we had unlimited funds, as did our opposition in this suit."

J

JonFrum

In a nut shell . . .

Regardless of which type of pension plan you are in, multi-employer or single-employer, your benefit checks are taxable. If you are married, you must, by law, share your pension with your spouse unless he/she gives up this right in writing. The surviving spouse option will reduce your pension further. You may also have to share your pension with an ex-spouse. Then you must pay all or part of your health insurance in retirement. The premium may be deducted from your monthly check. Some single-employer plans may also reduce your benefit amount if you are collecting Social Security.

If you never got Vested, you aren't entitled to a pension at all! If you did get Vested, but just barely, you must wait until you're in your mid sixties to begin collecting what will be, by then, a modest monthly check. If you have enough additional Pension Credits, you qualify for Early Retirement, which lets you begin collecting checks in your mid-fifties, although at a much reduced amount. If you have 25 or 30 or more years of Pension Credit you are in better shape. But even then, you must actually live long enough to enjoy it. Some retirees will live to be 100 or more, some will drop dead walking to the mailbox to get their first check. Most will fall somewhere in the middle.

Many UPSers find they are not entitled to some or all of the monies their employer contributed in their name because they fail to meet one or more of the plan's retirement criteria. UPS seems to make it harder to qualify for retirement benefits than any other company and the proof is in the pitifully small number of UPS retirees actually collecting checks. For one reason or another, many UPSers either fail to qualify for retirement, or qualify for only a modest benefit amount. Transfering to a UPSers-only fund will not fix this problem. If you don't qualify in one plan, you probably wouldn't qualify in another plan either. If you are among the huge number of UPSers who quit voluntarily, are fired, or pressured to quit by injury, illness, or circumstances, prior to achieving five-year Vesting Status, for example, you would not be entitled to a pension, period. Not even in a UPSers-only plan. If you believe UPSers are only receiving 40% of the contributions that UPS makes on behalf of UPSers as a group, that is irrevelant. Pensions are calculated on an individual basis, not a group basis. You, as an individual, in this example, don't even qualify for a portion of the 40%, much less the other 60%.

You have no legal basis to claim entitlement to monies contributed on behalf of other employees. Just because you worked at the same company does not entitle you to the monies contributed in their name, just as you have no legal claim to their paycheck, even if they never claim their paycheck themselves. If your best friend at UPS, or your roommate, were to die and leave a stack of vacation checks uncollected, you could not legally get those checks. Not even if your deceased friend had no known heirs. Legally, it's simply not your money. Let's face it, if you're not even entitled to all the monies UPS contributed to the fund in your name, (because you failed to meet certain retirement qualifications), how on earth are you going to convince a judge you're entitled to some other guy's contributions. NETPIC tried all the arguements being used today, back in 1991 and lost on every one of them. This is all the more alarming since Judge Harrington accepted as true all the facts as presented by NETPIC. Even the other side, for the most part, did not dispute the truth of the facts as presented by the plaintiffs. In short, the Good Guys had the moral high ground and were supported by an actuarial study they comissioned that backed up everything they claimed with documented charts and graphs. But that wasn't enough. The Law wasn't on their side.

[ As usual, I'm not approving of the predicament we all find ourselves in, just trying to make everyone aware of all the relevant details, however unpleasant. ]
- - - - - -
Every pension fund files a form 5500 financial report annually. The full report can be obtained by mail by requesting a copy from the fund or the government, as explained in the two page Summary Annual Report the fund sent you. You must pay copying costs! A shorter version of the form 5500 report is available online for the last two plan years at Free ERISA dot com. It's free! But you do have to register.
http://freeerisa.benefitspro.com/

J

JonFrum

UPS joined the New England fund when it began in 1958 and has contributed at the top hourly rate almost the entire time. Frequently UPS, and any knowledgeable observer, knows in advance that many of the employees hired will not, in fact, qualify for retirement benefits. Of course, only time will tell in an individual case, but one can be sure that large numbers of employees within a group will never see a retirement check, even if one can't know precisely which employees this will be. Simillarly, others in the group will only qualify for small retirement checks, but again, only time will tell exactly which employees they will be.

Based on the contribution rates in the current 6-year Contract, every time UPS (often knowingly) hires a full-timer who leaves before getting Vested, the following sums are contributed to the pension fund on the New Hire's behalf, and ultimately forfeited to the fund, for each year he worked:
August 1, 2002 thru August 1, 2003 $8,965
August 1, 2003 thru August 1, 2004 $9,277
August 1, 2004 thru August 1, 2005 $9,693
August 1, 2005 thru August 1, 2006 $10,109
August 1, 2006 thru August 1, 2007 $10,525
August 1, 2007 thru August 1, 2008 $10,941

A full-timer working, say, the last four years of the Contract then leaving "covered employment" would forfeit $41,268 of UPS' contributions to the fund on his behalf. Part-timers would forfeit about half these amounts. This forfeiting of contributions has been going on since Day One, although since it took ten years to vest prior to October 1, 1990, the number of years of contributions forfeited could be up to nine years or so back then. Those full-timers in the Central States fund would have larger sums abandoned than the above because your H & W raises are being diverted into the pension fund. The more you contribute, the more you abandon when you fail to qualify for a pension under the plan's rules.

It takes 750 hours to get a year of Vesting Service in a calandar year in the New England fund. At 40-hours a week, it would take over 16 weeks of employment for a full-timer to get Vesting Credit for that year, and about 33 weeks for a part-timer who works 20 hours a week. A part-timer who UPS gives only the contractual minimum of 3.5 hours a day (17.5 hours a week) will have to work 43 weeks to achieve a year of "full-time" Vesting Service. (There is a part-time scale which gives a year of Pension Credit for 830 hours in a calendar year, but the benefits earned are only half the full-time amounts.) A part-time air driver who UPS only gives the contractual minimum daily 3 hours to, needs 50 weeks work, nearly a full year, to earn that "full-time" year of Vesting Service. This makes it dificult for many new hires, full- or part-time, to get vested on the full-time scale during their first year of hire. Everyone hired during the Free Period of October - November - December will probably not get Vesting Credit for that year even if hired on October 1st. This includes drivers, part-timers, and driver's helpers. All that hourly rate pension contribution money is understood in advance by UPS to be forfeited to the pension fund, unless the employee subsequently goes on to achieve vesting by working under "covered employment" for five years at UPS or with some other contributing employer.

J

JonFrum

An unfortunate feature of the Internal Revenue Code is that a "participant" in a pension plan at work loses his right to fully deduct contributions to his personal Individual Retirement Account (IRA). This loss of full deductibility is true, even if the employee is not yet vested! So every UPSer looses full deductibility for the first four or five years or so, and usually he leaves UPS and is replaced by another UPSer who fails to vest, and he is replaced by another and so on until someone actually stays long enough to get vested. The inability of UPS to hire and retain full-time, and especially part-time, employees is not only hurting these employee's ability to earn a pension, but also their ability to provide for their retirement through personal savings. IRS limits say you may contribute up to $4,000 in 2006 and 2007. If you are at least 50 years old, you are eligible for an additional "catch-up" contribution up to $1,000 in 2006 and 2007. The same limits apply to both a traditional IRA and a Roth IRA.

You can open a 401(k) account, unfortunately the formula that determines how much you can contribute is directly tied to how much you earn. Someone earning relatively little, like most part-timers, and even new full-timers in progression, can't take full advantage of the 401(k) tax deferral feature. In 2006 the maximum contribution is $15,000, which is 25% of your year's pay. Thus, anyone making less than $60,000 can't contribute the full amount and can't take the full tax deferral. Anyone 50 years of age or older can contribute an additional "catch up" contribution of up to 10% or $5,000. In 2007 the regular contribution limit increases to $15,500, but the "catch up" stays at $5,000. So you would have to make $62,000 to take maximum advantage.

Social Security's Early Retirement age stays at 62, but the Full Retirement age of 65 has been increased for everyone born after 1937. Those born in 1943 and thereafter must wait at least until 66, and those born in 1960 and thereafter must wait until age 67!
You can look up you're Full Social Security retirement age on this chart:
Social Security Online-Find Your Retirement Age

J

JonFrum

http://freeerisa.benefitspro.com/
Some UPS 5500 Annual Financial Reports Available on Free Erisa Dot Com
[2005 Reports will be available soon]

Search Results for Name Contains:
"Parcel" , "UPS"
UNITED PARCEL SERVICE OF AMERICA INC
55 GLENLAKE PARKWAY
ATLANTA GA 30328

UNITED PARCEL SERVICE COMPANY
1400 N HURSTBOURNE PKWY
LOUISVILLE KY 40223

Plan..........Plan Name...........Years

001 UPS RETIREMENT PLAN 2004 & 2003
002 UPS THRIFT PLAN 2004 & 2003
003 TEAMSTERS/UPS NATIONAL 401K TAX DEFERRED SAVING PLAN 2004 & 2003
004 UPS SAVINGS PLAN 2004 & 2003
005 UPS QUALIFIED STOCK OWNERSHIP PLAN 2004 & 2003
006 UPS VOLUNTARY EMPLOYEE BENEFICIARY ASSOCIATION HEALTH & WELFARE TRUST 2004 & 2003
007 UPS VOLUNTARY EMPLOYEE BENEFICIARY ASSOCIATION HEALTH & WELFARE TRUST 2004 & 2003
022 UPS PENSION PLAN 2004 & 2003
001 UPS/IBT LOCAL 2727 DEFINED CONTRIBUTION MONEY PURCHASE PENSION PLAN 2004, 2003, 2000
002 UPS/IPA DEFINED CONTRIBUTION MONEY PURCHASE PENSION PLAN 2004, 2003, 2000
003 UPS/IPA 401K SAVINGS PLAN 2004, 2003, 2000
004 UPS/IBT LOCAL 2727 401K PLAN 2004 & 2003
501 UPS FLEXIBLE BENEFITS PLAN 2004 & 2003
502 UPS HEALTH & WELFARE PLAN 2004 & 2003
503 UPS HEALTH PROGRAM 2004 & 2003
504 UPS BUSINESS TRAVEL ACCIDENT INSURANCE PLAN 2004 & 2003
505 UPS NATIONAL LTD PLAN 2004 [Long Term Disability]
508 UPS HEALTH CARE PLAN 2004 & 2003
509 UPS HEALTH CARE PACKAGE 2004, 2003, 2001
520 UPS RETIRED EMPLOYEES HEALTH CARE PLAN 2003 & 2002
524 UPS HEALTH & WELFARE PACKAGE 2004 & 2003
525 UPS HEALTH & WELFARE PACKAGE FOR RETIRED EMPLOYEES 2004 & 2003
526 UPS CREWMEMBERS BENEFIT PACKAGE 2004 & 2003
527 UPS CREWMEMBERS BENEFIT PACKAGE FOR RETIRED EMPLOYEES 2004 & 2003

Similar lists of 5500 reports are avalilable for:
UPS AVIATION TECHNOLOGIES INC
UPS FREIGHT SERVICES INC
UPS GLOBAL FORWARDING SERVICES INC
UPS LOGISTICS GROUP INC
UPS PILOTS MUTUAL AID PLAN
UPS SUPPLY CHAIN SOLUTIONS INC
UNITED PARCEL EFCU
UPS TEXTILES INC
UPSCO INC
ALDWORTH COMPANY INC UPS WORLDWIDE LOGISTICS
BD OF TRUSTEES UPS INC MACHINISTS LODGE 447 IAMAW ANNUITY FUND
BOARD OF TRUSTEES UPS LOCAL 177 IBT MULTI-EMPLOYER RETIREMENT PLAN
- - - - - -
If you search the Free Erisa database for "Teamsters" and then "IBT" you will get lists of hundreds of funds. A very ineficient arrangement for Teamsters members to have so many regional funds partially duplicating each other's efforts. It makes it hard to discuss the funds, because each one is different, and it is hard for members to monitor the plans because only a limited number of others are in your specific plan, and most people have no interest in all the other funds to which they don't belong. This situation lends itself to the creation of local fifedoms that go largely unmonitored. Millions of dollars, owners won't be around to collect for several decades, complicated rules, obscure laws, booring subject, unresponsive trustees not elected by the members, little oversight, . . . Hmmmm?!!!

J

JonFrum

I looked at the UPS Retirement Plan and the UPS Pension Plan on Free Erisa Dot Com. Both plans are run by UPS and they have about the same number of participants. I'm not a participant in either plan so about all I know is what I learned from examining their Forms 5500 for the years 2003 and 2004. Free Erisa provides the financial pages of the annual reports, but not the full 5500 filing or Summary Plan Description. Both plans are "maturing" plans, meaning they have been in existance long enough for early participants to have compleated their working career and reached retirement age. The management plan is 45 years old, and the hourly plan is 34. Unlike Social Security, these plans require that you earn your retirement checks by years of work and pension credit accumulation. On the other hand, Ida Mae Fuller, of Ludlow, Vermont, who became the first person to collect a Social Security check, contributed only $44 to Social Security, promptly turned 65, immediately began collecting checks, and lived to be a hundred! She collected nearly $21,000, getting back many times her "investment" and will always be the poster girl for why Social Security is headed for trouble. It was designed to be broke from the start. Private pension plans only pay benefits to people who actually earn them, through years of work and contributions. Thus a private plan has no retirees in the early years, and then gradually begins having more and more retirees as time goes on.

I've heard the UPS Pension Plan is mainly for bargaining unit part-timers in the Central States region, and the UPS Retirement Plan is for management people nationwide. As always, if anyone can contribute more information, feel free to add your two cents. Both plans have about 123,000 participants, but the management plan has about 9,000 retired people actually collecting benefit checks, while the plan for "hourlies" [I hate that term] has only about 800!!! An additional 900 survivors of deceased UPSers are entitled to benefit checks from the managment fund, only 200 from the hourly fund. I take all this as more evidence that it is hard to survive long enough at UPS to qualify for retirement benefits. Hard for management, really, really hard for hourlies. If you're one of the many who just don't make it to the retirement finish line, it doesn't matter much which plan you're in, a Teamsters plan or a UPSers-only plan like these two. If you don't qualify, you don't qualify. Period. All that money contributed on your behalf is forfeited. And if you think that when Central States UPS part-timers in the company plan forfeit their contributions, well, at least the forfeited funds are going to fellow Central States UPS part-timers, rather than subsidizing evil non-UPSers, well, maybe you should ask the few who do manage to collect retirement checks from the UPS Pension Plan if they have to use a wheelbarrow when they cash their monthly retirement checks.

The management plan has about 30,000 people who have seperated from the company but who are vested and can collect benefit checks some time in the future. The hourly plan has only about 17,000. Again, many hourlies just don't qualify, even in a UPSer-only plan.

The management plan's assets are nearly six times greater than the hourly plan.

Many think they could do better in the stock market than the professional Wall Streeters that manage the various Teamsters plans' investments. Actually, it's very hard to beat the market, especially year after year. UPS has no magic wand. The management fund made only 1.7% and 5.6%, and the hourly fund made only 1.2% and 5.1%. The hourly plan paid about $4 million to investment managers, the management fund paid an astounding $23 million!!! (Don't they realize I could have given them sound investment advice that would have exceeded their obtained results and I would have only hit them up for, oh, I don't know, say, $22 million, and maybe an extra week of vacation?)

The management fund had 346m to 469m dollars of UPS stock, the hourly fund had 39m to 53m dollars of UPS stock. Nothing necessarily wrong with owning company stock, as long as you realize you're putting many of your eggs in the same basket, especially if you also own UPS stock in your private account as well. If things go bad for UPS anytime during your 35 (or so) years of work, and your 17 (or so) years of retirement, your lack of financial diversity may come back to bite you.

[The numbers I am using are a very rough average of the 2003 and 2004 plan years. To keep things simple I'm using very round numbers. Look at the reports yourself to get the exact numbers, and draw your own conclusions.]

Cezanne

Of those 17,000 hourly vested in the UPS Pension fund, how many are current full time teamsters now under the Central States plan? Fair to say that most of current UPS participants in the Central States fund started out under the UPS Pension plan for part-timers. Still remember way back in "93" the statement about those who retired under the company plan amounted to only about 380 employees, collecting around 300 per month. People fail to recognize that UPS's attempt to take control on the pension was orginally brought to the table in l993 four years prior to the l997 strike.

What struck me about the jonfrum's information was the difference between the investment manager's commission costs. Whay would there be such a difference considering the number of participants are about the same. Have known for a long time that the company has been contributing about ten times more annually into their pension plan (UPS Retirement Plan) compared to their employees plan (UPS Pension Plan). Maybe the investment costs are related to the greater amount of annual contributions over the years and much larger portfolio.

As far as the stock investment, I believe that there are limits to how much benefit plans can invest in their company stock, thinking off my head it is around 15 percent. The whole Eron fiasco probadly added to more protection legislation under the new pension reform act. Considering how many innocent people were hurt when those corporate clowns started to cook the books, just from skimming the improvements the feds did add more prison time and increased the fines and penalities for corportate criminals who decide to play games.

J

JonFrum

Did you just receive the one page Summary Annual Report of the UPS National [Long Term Disability] LTD Plan for 2005 in the mail? You can view the 2004 Form 5500 on FreeErisa Dot Com. The 2005 forms should be available online soon.
Welcome to freeErisa.com!
Search for Company Name Contains: PARCEL. Then from the results list click on United Parcel Service, and then UPS National LTD Plan.
The Plan started on August 1, 2004 so the first year report is only for the final five months of 2004. Incidently, "long term'' coverage means just five year's coverage.
- - - - -
The big advantage of FreeErisa is that it's free. But unfortunately, they don't carry the full annual reports. I just read a hardcopy of a full report I had ordered years ago and it had an extensive Auditor's Report attached. You really should get ahold of one of these Auditor's Reports. It makes everything so much clearer.
- - - - -
Central States has six issues of Teamwork magazine available online here . . .
Publications
Each of these 16 -page issues (in Adobe PDF format) is well worth reading because they lay out the entire problem facing the Central States Funds, past, present, and future. Lot's of good information, (and some misleading information,) much of which applies to all of us in other funds as well. And the thinking of the Central States Trustees is probably similar to the thinking of the trustees of the various funds to which the rest of us belong. Of course, the fund trustees concider themselves totally blameless for the situation, and indeed, believe they deserve a great big "attaboy" for the outstanding way they are handling the matter. My view is they are like a fellow who gets run over by a slow moving freight train. He's walking on the tracks, ignores the caution sign, feels the vibration in the rails, hears the engine getting louder, hears the warning whistle, and then . . . thwack! It's like the train just appeared outta da blue. It coulda happened to anybody.
I'm not opposed to people walking on the tracks, or trustees investing in the stock market, but when the warning signs appear, it's time to get off the tracks and out of the market. Especially if you're a highly paid professional investment manager.

See also . . .
Central States Funds - Local Unions

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
You must be talking about the vinnie boom ba investment group services for Central States ? I really wouldn`t call them experts after letting our assets go down approximately 1/3rd would you ?

wkmac

Just got a letter in the mail telling me my LTD insurance is now covered by Metlife. I guess CS decided to sub contract this out as well like it did our healthcare to Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I guess you have to do something when you take all H&W increases from the contract since 2004' and will continue through 2008' contract end and place towards the pension plan. I guess it's pretty tough shopping for 2006', soon to be 2007' healthcare and LTD coverage with 2003' contract dollars.

Such is the tough life of an expert fudicary agent!
:wink: