UPS Supervisors Working: Contract Change?

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Hello everyone. I have heard a rumor in the building that I work in that we are not able to file supervisors working grievances anymore. Some say that management said this, and others say that the union steward of the building said this. Now, this sounds rather unbelievable to me. As far as I know, nothing can be changed about the contract until it expires in July 2013. Is it possible that a rider, addendum, or supplement of some sort is being applied to the region that I work in? Is it possible for parts of the contract to be changed before expiration? Thank You for any responses.

File, file, file.

Management has, will and forever lie to you about anything. Their good at flinging rumors. I heard one about 2-3 years ago from management. They spread a rumor they were going to fire everyone with less then 3 years senority. A few people quit because of it.

I've also heard a steward say " hes getting written up for missloads ". When its obvious, production. Some stewards are push overs and are more for UPS. My word to you, is find the one steward that doesnt give a damn about UPS and cares about the worker rights. Find that one, never talk to another.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ok the lack of common sense amazes me sometimes. If we could not file on sups working why would we even be needed just hire enough sups to do the work. I mean really this is the most basic of basic things in the contract will NEVER change!!!!

BLACKBALLED

First and Foremost most Supervisors dont do Union work because they want to, they do it to make sure the Sort goes down on time, it also helps the hourlies make it through some nights, there will always be days when Trucks are in late for one reason or another, I was sup. for 5 years and would have to assist do to manpower shortages or whatnot, the stewards would always comment hey what are you doing? I am going to file on you! Most wouldnt because they knew I was doing it to help my sort and Crew. I hated to do it but I would bust my a** as much as the hourlies to get it done. Anyone who works for UPS is for UPS, the comment that the stewards are for UPS and not us is just ridiculous, no matter who we work for we are for that employer because we needed a job and they hired us to do it and expect us to be able to accomplish what we said we could.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
First and Foremost most Supervisors dont do Union work because they want to, they do it to make sure the Sort goes down on time, it also helps the hourlies make it through some nights, there will always be days when Trucks are in late for one reason or another, I was sup. for 5 years and would have to assist do to manpower shortages or whatnot, the stewards would always comment hey what are you doing? I am going to file on you! Most wouldnt because they knew I was doing it to help my sort and Crew. I hated to do it but I would bust my a** as much as the hourlies to get it done. Anyone who works for UPS is for UPS, the comment that the stewards are for UPS and not us is just ridiculous, no matter who we work for we are for that employer because we needed a job and they hired us to do it and expect us to be able to accomplish what we said we could.

Drink more cool-aid!!

Southwestern

Supervisors work because they're instructed to -- either explicitly or implicitly (example of implicit instruction: full-time sup tells part-time 'we have to get this sort down by 7:15AM' - when the first cars can't pull until 8:30). Some take the initiative themselves because they think it'll make that full-time job lower-hanging fruit. And yes, some hourlys DO become dependent on sups helping them -- maybe because they're too slow, maybe because they've been spoiled and haven't adjusted their pace or maybe because they've looked so good on paper the production ladder moved up.

I worked in a building for many years in which a high level of management working occurred. Several hourlys tried to challenge it (specifically irregulars being loaded onto the bulk train before start, add/cuts being processed after the sort, etc.) and were presented with a letter forbidding them from entering the building 5-minutes before start or hanging around more than 'a reasonable time it'll take them to exit the building' upon punching out. Meanwhile, management was collecting production bonuses that would've more-than-paid for the hourly labor. High level of ethics among some managerial employees.

Ok the lack of common sense amazes me sometimes. If we could not file on sups working why would we even be needed just hire enough sups to do the work. I mean really this is the most basic of basic things in the contract will NEVER change!!!!
No ****, Sherlock. I have already mentioned that I did not think that such a thing would be changed in the contract. But if the union is weakening, they may be more likely to go easier on some provisions of the contract, even if they are technically supposed to be followed. And if the rumor that the union steward himself said such a thing is true, then that would be cause for concern, which is why I was slightly confused. It never hurts to be sure, which is why I am asking.

Brownie Points

Supervisors in my building work all the time. The preloaders are exhausted from the supes pushing crap down the line to fast then busting thier chops for packages getting by them. The supe jumps in the unload and races another supe, the boxes kept thrown on the belt, bust open leak, fall all over the place causing preloaders even more work. The bust the packages out so fast, most of them don't get scanned, then the back up at the DA station. The supes say they jump in to pad thier numbers every now and then. Then the supes let half the employees go home, or they sneak out when they think airs are done, the unlucky ones trying to give thier driver a decent load get stuck doing a ton of cuts. Half the drivers haul butt before cuts are complete. Some drivers take packages off thier car and throw them on another driver making the preload look bad. Some drivers take packages off and hide them under thier package car then take off. Managers go out during the day and unlock your package car when your inside delivering a package and they either take stuff off your truck or put stuff on trying to set you up. Managers go out all day and pick up and deliver misloads so they are not recorded properly. Managers ask employees to deliver packages on thier way home all the time never reimbursing them for thier time or mileage AND managers change employees times EVERY single day without the employees knowledge automatically clocking them out for breaks, and lunches they did NOT take. What a bunch of lying cheating scum.

anonymous4

Every single supervisor works on my shift. EVERY ONE. They purposely under-staff our sort then call "sups working" several times a week.

brown329

Please explain to me why everyone bitches about sups helping out preloaders? I mean they are trying to make it easier on the preloaders by helping, at the same time helping there numbers, everyone wins!!! You have to be a :censored2: If you think there gonna call someone in to stand around and wait for someone that needs help. You think filing will help but in the end nothing is going to change no matter how many times you file and we all know that. Ups runs this business how they want it and they also write your paycheck so suck it up. There is a reason they are banking billions every quarter!!! (go ahead leave hateful comments below)

anonymous4

My hateful comment is you're just brain dead. We win? How do we win when supervisors working means less money in our pocket and less union jobs? You're a shill buddy plain and simple. Crawl back to that PT SUP position and pass the kool-aid onto your workers.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Please explain to me why everyone bitches about sups helping out preloaders? I mean they are trying to make it easier on the preloaders by helping, at the same time helping there numbers, everyone wins!!! You have to be a :censored2: If you think there gonna call someone in to stand around and wait for someone that needs help. You think filing will help but in the end nothing is going to change no matter how many times you file and we all know that. Ups runs this business how they want it and they also write your paycheck so suck it up. There is a reason they are banking billions every quarter!!! (go ahead leave hateful comments below)
Sups helping out takes a job away from another PT that could be added to the lineup, or bring one back in that may be on lay off. It also takes money away from those already working, by cutting down their working hours and sending them home. Does that seem right to you? It doesn't to me and neither to the union.

brown329

Well if you haven't figured it out yet there not gonna add another man to the lineup if a supe helps or not and more times than not they will be done before driver start time. So keep telling your self that it's going to change something and give you that extra 10 mins @ 9.50 an hr. and I'm the one that's brain dead hahahahahahaha.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well if you haven't figured it out yet there not gonna add another man to the lineup if a supe helps or not and more times than not they will be done before driver start time. So keep telling your self that it's going to change something and give you that extra 10 mins @ 9.50 an hr. and I'm the one that's brain dead hahahahahahaha.
I make (and many others) something like $27/hr, so those minutes add up a bit more. Also, yes, filing and winning sups working grievances have certainly forced the company to add people to certain areas. Unfortunately, other areas are then understaffed and the sups working migrate. It's a shell game, but your post is not factual.

brown329

Well in my own opinion I'd rather have help from a supe when getting hammered with dump stops than make a few more dollars. I understand if the supe is working a set of loads all day, that's not right they should call someone in.

anonymous4

None of it is right as they should have called someone in before the shift started. For instance a sort takes one extension and then calls SUPS working, yet this is just another day right now. If every SUP was unable to work without real consequences how many more jobs would need to be created? On my shift of 200 union workers I would need to guess you'd need to add 15-20+ additional jobs just to cover what the SUPS do every day. I really have no idea the real amount but I do know most do at least 1.5-2 hours of our work in between walking around and shouting nonsensical orders (for the most part). This is a large issue, why isn't it brought up by the union if they really want to create jobs? SUP wants to do union work then there needs to be a bigger downside to allowing it for the company. If it is cheaper to work their SUPS and call SUPS working every other day then it will continue. Heads in the sand though.