UPS Teamsters keeping their next two Wage increases

Hockeyparent

Or food in the refrigerator. Or investing in 401K, and were just going to give the Pension more. I am very grateful for the money that I get paid everyday. Do not miss the point. I am not stretching to make ends meat, how is it your so willing to give something that you will never receive?

Hockeyparent

Do not think for one second that UPS will go into the next contact and give us more money. They won't they will say, You gave almost $4/per hour away. $6 overtime dollars away. YOU obviously do not need a pay raise. I want a refund too. i think we are on the same page here my friend. I just need to know how to petition the Trustee's to stop something that has not been taken from us yet. How do I do that?

Hockeyparent

Does anyone else support that? WE need to realize we have the power. Not them. WE are the ones doing the back breaking work. We are the ones out delivering 150lbs trampolines @ 7:30 PM on a Friday night.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are not on the same page.

When they sit down to talk UPS says they have x amount of dollars and they work with the Union as to how it should be spent. Wages, pension and H&W all come from the same pot.

Our choice to divert wages will not come back to haunt us.

Hockeyparent

And I will hold you too that when it does. Giving more wages to protect a concept that is failing is a losing proposition. Your obviously closer to the end than I am. I hope all works out for you. I don't expect a Pension from Teamsters, I never have. I love the idea of getting something for the years of service, I just don't believe in people that are never seen, never heard from until they're in trouble.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Hockeyparent

One of my recently retired co-workers, who already lost 50% of his pension to his ex, will be losing 33%. He went from $5,400/month down to $1,800/month. There are rumors that he wants to come back to work.

My thought on the wage diversions was I would rather have a bit less now to ensure a secure retirement.

I want a refund.

Divorce can be so damaging financially.

Anyone in this day and age who thinks that any pension will be there I the long term is naive. These young kids need to plan as if it doesn't exist. That's how I've always viewed it.

Good pensions are the exception not the rule anymore.

dudebro

Then whatever you get you deserve. Peace out.
On a larger scale, the Republicans are right about this. Their position would be, you should have taken that money for yourself and invested it yourself. Then government voodoo math, at the federal, state, or local level, or any pension math, wouldn't have an effect on you. Trusting some large faceless entity to take care of you is the root problem.

Someone's going to point to what would have happened to my 401k in 2008. The answer is, it would have been fine by 2013. Nothing is going to fix the unfunded pensions, but an infusion of money on a scale nobody has.

upsbrisco

On a larger scale, the Republicans are right about this. Their position would be, you should have taken that money for yourself and invested it yourself. Then government voodoo math, at the federal, state, or local level, or any pension math, wouldn't have an effect on you. Trusting some large faceless entity to take care of you is the root problem.

Someone's going to point to what would have happened to my 401k in 2008. The answer is, it would have been fine by 2013. Nothing is going to fix the unfunded pensions, but an infusion of money on a scale nobody has.
I think that hockeyparent is trying to say that what the wny teamsters pension has done has not worked he feels he could do better, why should he give more raises to a failing idea for the rest of his career?

Hockeyparent

We can all do better. Even if you never invested it. If you just saved your wage increases. You would have the money. The way it's set up now. You won't have the money. It will be gone. Anyone tells you different. Is not telling you the truth.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think that hockeyparent is trying to say that what the wny teamsters pension has done has not worked he feels he could do better, why should he give more raises to a failing idea for the rest of his career?

Wage diversions have not worked which is why there aren't any more planned for the future.

Hockeyparent

We all work too hard, to just give our money away. 829 hours of OT last year. By my calculations. Which are exact... I lost $2711.50 of OT wages last year. Because UPS paid me less money and paid the pension, with that money.

We have two more wage diversions scheduled.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We all work too hard, to just give our money away. 829 hours of OT last year. By my calculations. Which are exact... I lost $2711.50 of OT wages last year. Because UPS paid me less money and paid the pension, with that money.

We have two more wage diversions scheduled.

UPS paid you your full wages-----the Union just took their cut before they got to you.

829 hours of OT works out to roughly 16 hours per week. I call BS.