UPS to deliver seven days week

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
Told ya so.
I said it last Wednesday.
I knew my source was correct.
Screenshot_20190723-214403_Chrome.jpg

MattM

My building processes regular 1-2 day air packages on Saturdays and preps it for Monday delivery

We have one small feeder plane that takes maybe 200 outbound packages.

Actual MARKED Saturday packages is barely in the hundreds for my building. How will they be pricing Saturday and sunday air?

My building hasn't quite opened the floodgates for a full Saturday operation, let alone Sunday. None of us early airport guys work Mondays either, so hopefully we can go Six days and get some monster OT.

take your time

There's more to it than just Sunday delivery. According to CNBC, Next-Day air will also be extended....I'm guessing it won't be 10:30 AM anymore....

Wonder what that will mean....

ups lol.png

take your time

They also included a picture of a runner gunner on the same article....

He's using a Magliner to speed up his deliveries, instead of taking two trips....which one of you is this? lol

runner gunner.png

BlackCat

In order for this to even remotely have a chance at succeeding, EVERY shipper is going to have to go a 7 day week, which is not going to happen.

MattM

Can ups buy out old malls and have pick ups there? I see how they have auto parts and pharmacies. But It would be funny for people to return to a mall to pick up stuff that they originally didn't want to stop and pick up for.

Everything comes full circle eventually.

A small 5% discount and the prospect of no porch pirates could have people picking up their own stuff.

MattM

I can see the upsell now. Quarterly reports come out in a couple hours. Good job UPS.

My buildings brand new part timers are making bank doing driver helper at top rate. Are we on a sinking ship? Where are these hours and $$$ coming from?

We're making 2 cents on the dollar trying to stay afloat with the massive amazon discounts we give them.

BlackCat

Another fine example of UPS caving to the wishes of emperor Bezos.

A couple of things to think over...

If Bezos has his way, the days of "ground" packages will be all but forgotten. He will take a premium service like NDA and make it about as profitable as "ground" currently is. The writing is clearly on the wall when UPS makes public statements like "extending the hours for NDA"

If UPS no longer has any premium services to provide, then what?

SafetyFirst

Is volume going to exponentially increase?

You can't talk about route density AND seven days of delivery without a massive increase in volume. That just doesn't add up.

MattM

Wall Street. Cnbc. Yahoo finance. Reuters. Busy day in our PR department. We're not exactly cheap labor so it's not like a new Amazon fulfilment center being opened. Unless they plan to treat 22.4 like absolute scum. I just don't see where the cuts will come if we give Amazon more deep discounts.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
It's pretty obvious now that any talk of Amazon dropping UPS or vice versa is bs. Bezos knows damn well that he can't just snap his fingers and buy what we've spent over a century creating. As chaotic, shady, and stressful as our job can be....it really is incredible what each hub accomplishes every day. Amazon can't friend with our productivity. The guy is a self made kajillionaire genius. He knows he can't friend with UPS.
And he's not trying to.
They aren't even paying for their drivers to have any sort of uniform.
I could see UPS and Amazon having sexual relations with each other for another 10 years.
Even by that time, Amazon delivery could still be a joke. Even after all the cool planes and drones flying everywhere.
Amazon needs UPS in the extended short term.

Last edited: