UPS union contract extended to allow negotiators to reach new deal

Nimnim

The Nim
I don't have a problem with extending negotiations. Strike should never be in the list of options, it should only be an emergency last resort. The only problem I have with extending negotiations is listing it as "indefinite." The union and the company know how long it will take them to hammer out a new agreement or two with voting, sure there's some unseen time discrepancies but they know within a month or two how long it'd take. Just estimate on the high end what two more attempts would take and list that as the "end date." It tells people we're still willing to work it out, but we also have a time frame of where if it's not agreed to further negotiations won't fix it without drastic measure(strike).

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well we disagree. And we won't know who's right until it all plays out.

That will indeed be interesting.
I think it is too early but the signs indicate UPS is willing to go on strike, reducing UPS's ground presence in the US and the associated cost with that presence.
I think the opportune time for that is a couple of contracts out when UPS is backed into the corner of reduced profitability.
Seems a bit early as the UPS International growth, while very good, has not reached a parity level with other carriers.
The Logistics division is doing fine with good growth.

​We'll see when it plays out.

ogrelord

Ground Down
I don't have a problem with extending negotiations. Strike should never be in the list of options, it should only be an emergency last resort. The only problem I have with extending negotiations is listing it as "indefinite."

You've already passed the national, and the southern supplemental. a strike would do nothing for you. I on the other hand have a problem with my local 385 and hope other teamster get a better deal, that we might be able to get in 5 years. I support a strike if that what it takes, I just wish the 53% would have seen it that way also

Nimnim

The Nim
You've already passed the national, and the southern supplemental. a strike would do nothing for you. I on the other hand have a problem with my local 385 and hope other teamster get a better deal, that we might be able to get in 5 years. I support a strike if that what it takes, I just wish the 53% would have seen it that way also

I never said I wouldn't strike, just it should be the "emergency last resort." And trust me, I'm not happy with my local 385 either. I spent 3 weeks calling multiple times a day trying to get some information, mostly related to the insurance, and aside from getting in touch with a couple nice ladies answering the phones for the main line that didn't know anything I couldn't get in touch with anyone. I'd prefer there wasn't a strike, but if there was a national strike, despite my local failing to live up to my expectations, I'm willing to be there for my fellow teamsters to help them get better.

Edit: When I said I called multiple times a day, that's not easy for me working midnight shift when the local is open like 8-5. Prime sleeping hours for me.

ogrelord

Ground Down
I started out thinking, the contract being extended was good thing. then I thought about what the IBT gained by this? more dues that was all. When we voted in 2003 we got a strike vote on are ballot and that was a better contract. This is the give back for being allowed to organizing Freight so easy (Was a company, IBT deal. by no means is this putting down their members just the IBT).My opinion

At this point I see UPS and the IBT as the same thing. they want to make the most money off my back with out having to look out for our health and safety

With the contract being extended it allows the company to gain an advantage over the unions that shot down the offer. UPS was never going to lock us out. We didn't need to give them the comfort of knowing that a strike was 30 days out. so they could train and get the background checks for people in the air system. and all the other training you need to work there.

Once again, it shows that the IBT and UPS are hand in hand.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I believe that's my point. They rejected the supplement because they wanted the UPS health care plan because it's a superior plan to the one
you have now. Even though you might be happy with your plan there are many others who aren't.

You should just ignore him oldupsman. He's never had the healthcare plan we have and doesn't know what he's missing out on. Upstate just seems to like to push his opinions around. Also, I don't think he realizes things are different in other parts of the country.

stink219

I don't have a problem with extending negotiations. Strike should never be in the list of options, it should only be an emergency last resort. The only problem I have with extending negotiations is listing it as "indefinite."
The union nor UPS said "indefinite". That was either the writer of the article or Flip-Flop Fred. Just because there wasn't a end date doesn't mean there isn't one. At anytime either side can give a 30 day notice.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should just ignore him oldupsman. He's never had the healthcare plan we have and doesn't know what he's missing out on. Upstate just seems to like to push his opinions around. Also, I don't think he realizes things are different in other parts of the country.

I know full well that things are different in other parts of the country. I also realize that I am covered by a quality health care plan. Do they cover every little boo-boo or sniffle? No but they cover all of the major things and I have little to no out of pocket.

The company is not going to change their mind on the healthcare issue.

balland chain

Thank god your not my steward "UPS wrecked"your kidding me right.You must be from one of those states that push the contract through every couple of years.Ups dangles out a nickel and you jump.This company treats all of its employees including lower level management like garbage,they deserve nothing.Hoffa and Hall sold us out what kind of leverage does anyone have now.You give UPS unlimited extension you wonder what side are they on.It is pathetic, this company makes millions on our back treats us like slaves with paychecks and the Teamsters do them a favor.

I am in NC and this local always pushes the supplement and contract thru.. Your post makes some excellent points. If my coworkers had a spine this crappy supplement would have been voted down..Now, just as in the past, we will see the locals that voted down their supplement, get better benefits than what we will be getting. All they did here was believe what mgmt told them, (they may be out of work) and worrry about going on strike (wold not have happened) and vote this crappy supplement thru..With the profits that UPS makes from OUR hard work, giving us better healthcare, and not forcing retirees to pay more for this horrible CS insurance is a slap in the face. I can speak for myself, when I started 26 years ago, I planned on working 25 years and then retiring. At the time there was no cost for insurance when retired. Now, it has skyrocketed and only GOD knows what will happen in the future. We have given UPS our bodies and for some our minds (mental stability) and what do they do? Crap on us again. I would be more than happy to pay 100 per month (single) for decent insurance when I retire, but this local here thinks charging 250 for the CS insurance is good for us..

I believe the Unions reason for pushing all UPSers into the CS plan is because the plan is in such bad shape..CS will now be getting more money from UPS to cover our insurance. I will bet, that in a matter of time CS will start diverting those funds into the pension plan because they have mishandled for so many years. The Teamsters, to get more members, told all the smaller trucking company workers that if they joined the Teamsters, they would get the same pension that UPSers get, (but their companies contributed a much smaller amount than what UPS was contributing per employee) so we now have persons drawing a pension and at least 5 of those trucking companies have gone bankrupt. So, no more contributions ! But they are getting the same pension that UPSers get. It is just a matter of time and the CS pension fund will be bankrupt. OH but wait, the Teamsters to the rescue again. Lets get all UPSers into the CS insurance plan, and we can again take UPS' money to finance the pension plan that is in trouble.

Here we go again. Thanks for nothing Teamsters. You are using UPS and us hard workers to finance your screw up. Those other trucking company employees should have never been told they would get what UPSers get unless their company put in the same amount that UPS was putting in. So now us UPSers who are SO ready to retire, are stuck because the insurance that we were promised so many years ago, is now in the toilet .

Anybody who thinks this contract was fair has their head in the sand, or in the rear orifice of the Teamsters.

bluehdmc

That will indeed be interesting.
I think it is too early but the signs indicate UPS is willing to go on strike, reducing UPS's ground presence in the US and the associated cost with that presence.

​We'll see when it plays out.

That could very well be the plan.
An interesting development is Amazon going into the Grocery business like Peapod. They set up warehouses, delivery trucks, etc. They are test marketing this in some markets. What's to prevent them from delivering other items you ordered, books, etc. when they deliver your groceries?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

An interesting development is Amazon going into the Grocery business like Peapod. They set up warehouses, delivery trucks, etc. They are test marketing this in some markets. What's to prevent them from delivering other items you ordered, books, etc. when they deliver your groceries?

There is nothing preventing this as it is already part of their plan. They are going to have up to 1 million of their most popular items available for same day delivery along with your grocery order.

My daughter orders her groceries online and I'm sure she would also take advantage of this added service if it were to become available in her area.

Inthegame

I started out thinking, the contract being extended was good thing. then I thought about what the IBT gained by this? more dues that was all. When we voted in 2003 we got a strike vote on are ballot and that was a better contract. This is the give back for being allowed to organizing Freight so easy (Was a company, IBT deal. by no means is this putting down their members just the IBT).My opinion

At this point I see UPS and the IBT as the same thing. they want to make the most money off my back with out having to look out for our health and safety

With the contract being extended it allows the company to gain an advantage over the unions that shot down the offer. UPS was never going to lock us out. We didn't need to give them the comfort of knowing that a strike was 30 days out. so they could train and get the background checks for people in the air system. and all the other training you need to work there.

Once again, it shows that the IBT and UPS are hand in hand.
Looks like we've entered extended silly season.
The IBT would only lose dues income in the event of a strike lasting more than a month. You work a day, you pay dues for the month. Members lose much more than the IBT does in strikes.
You didn't vote in 2003. You voted (maybe) in 2002 and again in 2007. The UPS Frt card check agreement was contingent upon ratification of the LAST agreement. Can't use that attack again this contract.
There are several improvements in safety issues in the Master, which has received a clear majority yes vote.
That fact seems absent from too many minds. How feasible is a strike when the majority of voters accepted the terms of the one CBA that covers all Teamsters (with the exception of L705/710)?
Anyone who complains about dues really doesn't get it. Find another non-union job that gets close to the same levels a Teamster CBA delivers. You'll be looking a long time.

ogrelord

Ground Down
Anyone who complains about dues really doesn't get it. Find another non-union job that gets close to the same levels a Teamster CBA delivers. You'll be looking a long time.

I've been a due paying member for over ten years, 9 of those we haven't had steward on our sort. only part of complaining about DUES is that the IBT wouldn't get thiers. When I don't work there is no money to be taking from me to put towards dues. Is it really a clear Majority? 53% with over 5,000 ballots not counted and how many people didn't get a ballot? That whole go fine another job bit, let me tell ya. I'd rather join the TDU and reform the crappy union i'm in.

Inthegame

I've been a due paying member for over ten years, 9 of those we haven't had steward on our sort. only part of complaining about DUES is that the IBT wouldn't get thiers. When I don't work there is no money to be taking from me to put towards dues. Is it really a clear Majority? 53% with over 5,000 ballots not counted and how many people didn't get a ballot? That whole go fine another job bit, let me tell ya. I'd rather join the TDU and reform the crappy union i'm in.
Run for steward.
Read the IBT Constitution, the IBT collects dues if you work ONE day in a month. in '97 the IBT didn't lose any of August dues.
TDU needs more leaders like you so join up bucko, there's lots of empty chairs. They even have a discount going.
Yes 53% is a clear majority. As far as 5000 ballots not counted, if that's a fact, I'd say most likely 53% of those would be YES votes.
If you don't work, there is no money in your pocket. The IBT will survive a strike just fine. Will you? 10 years might not be enough in the aftermath.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Thank god your not my steward "UPS wrecked"your kidding me right.You must be from one of those states that push the contract through every couple of years.Ups dangles out a nickel and you jump.This company treats all of its employees including lower level management like garbage,they deserve nothing.Hoffa and Hall sold us out what kind of leverage does anyone have now.You give UPS unlimited extension you wonder what side are they on.It is pathetic, this company makes millions on our back treats us like slaves with paychecks and the Teamsters do them a favor.

I am in NC and this local always pushes the supplement and contract thru.. Your post makes some excellent points. If my coworkers had a spine this crappy supplement would have been voted down..Now, just as in the past, we will see the locals that voted down their supplement, get better benefits than what we will be getting. All they did here was believe what mgmt told them, (they may be out of work) and worrry about going on strike (wold not have happened) and vote this crappy supplement thru..With the profits that UPS makes from OUR hard work, giving us better healthcare, and not forcing retirees to pay more for this horrible CS insurance is a slap in the face. I can speak for myself, when I started 26 years ago, I planned on working 25 years and then retiring. At the time there was no cost for insurance when retired. Now, it has skyrocketed and only GOD knows what will happen in the future. We have given UPS our bodies and for some our minds (mental stability) and what do they do? Crap on us again. I would be more than happy to pay 100 per month (single) for decent insurance when I retire, but this local here thinks charging 250 for the CS insurance is good for us..

I believe the Unions reason for pushing all UPSers into the CS plan is because the plan is in such bad shape..CS will now be getting more money from UPS to cover our insurance. I will bet, that in a matter of time CS will start diverting those funds into the pension plan because they have mishandled for so many years. The Teamsters, to get more members, told all the smaller trucking company workers that if they joined the Teamsters, they would get the same pension that UPSers get, (but their companies contributed a much smaller amount than what UPS was contributing per employee) so we now have persons drawing a pension and at least 5 of those trucking companies have gone bankrupt. So, no more contributions ! But they are getting the same pension that UPSers get. It is just a matter of time and the CS pension fund will be bankrupt. OH but wait, the Teamsters to the rescue again. Lets get all UPSers into the CS insurance plan, and we can again take UPS' money to finance the pension plan that is in trouble.

Here we go again. Thanks for nothing Teamsters. You are using UPS and us hard workers to finance your screw up. Those other trucking company employees should have never been told they would get what UPSers get unless their company put in the same amount that UPS was putting in. So now us UPSers who are SO ready to retire, are stuck because the insurance that we were promised so many years ago, is now in the toilet .

Anybody who thinks this contract was fair has their head in the sand, or in the rear orifice of the Teamsters.

Why do you continue to spew about stuff that you refuse to check facts on or refuse to listen to people that have checked facts?

CS healthcare fund is not the pension fund. The CS healthcare has plenty of money every year. They don't need more money being pumped in. I'm not sure that its ever been in the red.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

There is nothing preventing this as it is already part of their plan. They are going to have up to 1 million of their most popular items available for same day delivery along with your grocery order.

My daughter orders her groceries online and I'm sure she would also take advantage of this added service if it were to become available in her area.

Amazon really needs to watch the rapid expansion into so many different ventures. At some point they have to figure out a way to make money. You can only tell investors for so long "you have to get the big picture". At some point there needs to be more than promises.

bbsam

Staff member
Didn't the TA have a "no strike" clause in it? And if so, isn't time on UPS' side? Theoretically couldn't they basically wait out the unratified supplementals?