UPS union contract extended to allow negotiators to reach new deal

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The $17.62 that you speak of is your pension also. It is not. only for your benefits.
That's is we are lucky to make it to full retirement. We now have to work to 55 plus yrs old. Then retire. Your spouse and you are covered. For 15 yrs. Oh wait. I have kids. They are not covered. After retiring. Great contract? Sell out

We have 3-4 drivers with over 35 years in that won't retire. They are like oh no I'm not even 60 yet blah blah.

I can tell you right now I'd rather retire an work a part time job for a few years doing something I like.

oldupsman

May I propose that all those who want to continue UPS healthcare pay the company proposal of 30/60/90 a week. All of us under union healthcare would continue to receive our benefit for no cost.

You can propose that but the IBT isn't going to accept it. They want that health care money. And I'll be honest with you. As far as the rank and file
around here are concerned, we would be better off getting no raise the next 5 years and keeping our UPS health care than accepting Teamcare.
Again I don't think we're alone on that one either. Getting these 17 supplements passed is going to be very very tough and it's sure not gonna happen
​anytime soon. Unless someone gives in this could literally take years.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
That could very well be the plan.
An interesting development is Amazon going into the Grocery business like Peapod. They set up warehouses, delivery trucks, etc. They are test marketing this in some markets. What's to prevent them from delivering other items you ordered, books, etc. when they deliver your groceries?

There is nothing preventing this as it is already part of their plan. They are going to have up to 1 million of their most popular items available for same day delivery along with your grocery order.

My daughter orders her groceries online and I'm sure she would also take advantage of this added service if it were to become available in her area.

You raised a lazy child. How's that for irony? I just love knocking on folks' doors to deliver a box of toilet paper from Amazon.

Man, if you could only imagine the opened-handed discipline I'd like to "deliver" to these people.

Honestly, can we really blame the rest of the planet for seeing us as fat and lazy? YOU are part of the problem.

Hand me some neg rep to feel better. Teach me a lesson.

Your kid orders groceries online....lofl.

Brownslave688

Why the hell would u go to the store if u don't have to. Sounds like an efficient person not a lazy one. Why are groceries different than any other good ppl have delivered to them?

Apparently you'd like us all to be out of jobs. At least people wouldn't be lazy though.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Why the hell would u go to the store if u don't have to. Sounds like an efficient person not a lazy one. Why are groceries different than any other good ppl have delivered to them?

Apparently you'd like us all to be out of jobs. At least people wouldn't be lazy though.

Are you for real? These boxes put food in my children's mouths. "Apparently", you missed my point. Allow me to elaborate.

Toilet paper...toilet paper...

Let it sink in. I order things I can't readily buy locally. Toilet paper? You could buy it at any local gas station.

Ordering things you could easily get off your lazy ass and go get is, exactly that; lazy.

I could understand (even sympathize) if you had some sort of disability where, shopping locally was an issue.

Toilet paper...

"y would you go the store if u didn't have to?"

Because I'm a proud person I guess.

Apologies if you believe toilet paper delivery is OUR future. I certainly wouldn't want to see you or myself out of a job. My wife and kids would prolly agree.

On some real "ish" though, I'll keep buying my striking paper locally.

CharleyHustle

You can propose that but the IBT isn't going to accept it. They want that health care money. And I'll be honest with you. As far as the rank and file
around here are concerned, we would be better off getting no raise the next 5 years and keeping our UPS health care than accepting Teamcare.
Again I don't think we're alone on that one either. Getting these 17 supplements passed is going to be very very tough and it's sure not gonna happen
​anytime soon. Unless someone gives in this could literally take years.

Man I'm glad you aren't on the negotiating committee. I don't pay a whole lot of attention, but probably more than most, and it was fairly obvious from the get go that UPS was bound and determined to dump their health care obligations. It amazes me how many members were completely caught off guard by this and raised holy heck to their leaders and are willing to bargain away every gain over the last 30 years just so they can keep their sacred UPS healthcare. I'm left wondering what further gains we could have gotten if the union could have said "OK you're screwing us on healthcare so here is what we are going to need" instead of back pedaling constantly to placate members who don't have clue.

Brownslave688

Are you for real? These boxes put food in my children's mouths. "Apparently", you missed my point. Allow me to elaborate.

Toilet paper...toilet paper...

Let it sink in. I order things I can't readily buy locally. Toilet paper? You could buy it at any local gas station.

Ordering things you could easily get off your lazy ass and go get is, exactly that; lazy.

I could understand (even sympathize) if you had some sort of disability where, shopping locally was an issue.

Toilet paper...

"y would you go the store if u didn't have to?"

Because I'm a proud person I guess.

Apologies if you believe toilet paper delivery is OUR future. I certainly wouldn't want to see you or myself out of a job. My wife and kids would prolly agree.

On some real "ish" though, I'll keep buying my striking paper locally.

I've been trying to get my wife to order all of our household goods online for the last few years. Why would I go waste an hour at the store when I can order it with a few clicks and spend my day doing what I want instead of shopping?

All of it at my doorstep within 2 days for $30 a year. Plus I don't have to pay taxes. For now...

I don't want to offend you but if I had to guess your probably an older male who sees the world changing a little faster than he's comfortable with. I can sympathize. My dad is only early 60's the man has zero computer skills and can barely use a cell phone. When GPS says turn left in 500ft all he hears is turn left. If the man lives to be 90 he will not be comfortable in the world he lives in.

bluehdmc

I've been trying to get my wife to order all of our household goods online for the last few years. Why would I go waste an hour at the store when I can order it with a few clicks and spend my day doing what I want instead of shopping?

All of it at my doorstep within 2 days for $30 a year. Plus I don't have to pay taxes. For now...

I can see the online groceries ordering for $30 versus spending an hour of your time running around. I order oddball household repair items online, (just ordered a limit switch for my garage door opener on ebay). Saves me running around and spending an hour in Home Depot.

I don't want to offend you but if I had to guess your probably an older male who sees the world changing a little faster than he's comfortable with. I can sympathize. My dad is only early 60's the man has zero computer skills and can barely use a cell phone. When GPS says turn left in 500ft all he hears is turn left. If the man lives to be 90 he will not be comfortable in the world he lives in.

Watch what you say about older people, I just hit 60 and think life was simpler in many ways before cellphones, computers, and gps. You used to use a payphone if it was that important, bought a map to find where something was, and watched tv or read a book instead of spending time bs'ing on a computer. I have friends in my age bracket that don't own a pc, some don't own cell phones. I even had a friend who didn't have an ATM card!

I used to roll my eyes when my parents remarked about "the good old days".

Just wait, if technology keeps changing like it has been the last 100yrs, in 20 or 30 yrs you might be wishing for "the good old days".

Brownslave688

I can see the online groceries ordering for $30 versus spending an hour of your time running around. I order oddball household repair items online, (just ordered a limit switch for my garage door opener on ebay). Saves me running around and spending an hour in Home Depot.

Watch what you say about older people, I just hit 60 and think life was simpler in many ways before cellphones, computers, and gps. You used to use a payphone if it was that important, bought a map to find where something was, and watched tv or read a book instead of spending time bs'ing on a computer. I have friends in my age bracket that don't own a pc, some don't own cell phones. I even had a friend who didn't have an ATM card!

I used to roll my eyes when my parents remarked about "the good old days".

Just wait, if technology keeps changing like it has been the last 100yrs, in 20 or 30 yrs you might be wishing for "the good old days".

I wish for the good old days now lol. I'm not bashing seniors. Simply staying a fact that they adapt more slowly than the rest. As a whole.

oldupsman

Man I'm glad you aren't on the negotiating committee. I don't pay a whole lot of attention, but probably more than most, and it was fairly obvious from the get go that UPS was bound and determined to dump their health care obligations. It amazes me how many members were completely caught off guard by this and raised holy heck to their leaders and are willing to bargain away every gain over the last 30 years just so they can keep their sacred UPS healthcare. I'm left wondering what further gains we could have gotten if the union could have said "OK you're screwing us on healthcare so here is what we are going to need" instead of back pedaling constantly to placate members who don't have clue.

Well it certainly wasn't obvious to me and I kept informed of the negotiations from the start. No one from our supplement even considered losing UPS health care
until the master came out and boom, there it was. Guess you must be of those special inner circle people who knew what was going on behind closed doors.
And I'll say it again. I think we're far from being alone.