UPS Weapons Policy?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
what's the specific policy on weapons in the workplace? obviously firearms are a total no-go, but what about a pocket knife?
is there a specific blade length that would be allowable?

i ask because i've had a few totally insane drivers harass me for driving the speed limit after i leave my facility, including one that tried to force my vehicle to stop so he could presumably "teach me a lesson" or something, and if i can't have a firearm on company policy, it would be nice to have SOMETHING to defend myself with.

even Federal facilities allows a 2.5in blade, what about UPS?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Have a cell phone with the local cops on speed dial in the town you deliver to!! Or if some one threatens you & steps on to your car,a diad across his face will help too !! REMEMBER<<<persons has to step on to your car first..

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There is no point in bringing a knife to a gun fight. And that may very well be exactly what you are doing. I would never stop in a situation like this. I would get on the phone or I would drive towards the local PD.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
There is no point in bringing a knife to a gun fight. And that may very well be exactly what you are doing. I would never stop in a situation like this. I would get on the phone or I would drive towards the local PD.

i would never willingly stop either, i would sooner run the SOB over, but the possibility remains of my vehicle being disabled somehow, or being stuck in traffic (frequent), etc.

while i'm not going to willingly engage in a physical fight, i will attempt to flee while calling 911, the possibility still remains that i may be cornered, and in such a case, i would like the best i can legally have on my person

normally that would be my carry-piece, but i don't want to end up with a weapon-related termination.

so does UPS have a specific policy on knives/blade-length?
i have a hard time believing they enforce a TSA-style policy..

EmerCond421

If I recall correctly UPS does have a no weapons (guns) on property policy with immediate termination. As a former P. O. I use to have a concealed weapons permit but what's the point facing termination? Use your cell phone if feeling threatened or go to the nearest PD/Sheriff/State Patrol; most times no one will follow you there.
(or pull over and let them pass)
Not sure of the blade length - or call the 800 # for workplace violence if threatened you shouldn't be fearful in your workplace.

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
I would also suggest the idea of (1) pulling over and letting them pass, or (2) cell phoning the police.

But........ it is completely allowable at UPS to have a 3 D cell maglite on your package car.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Is mace or pepper spray considered a weapon?
They can be obtained in what looks like a pen.

over9five

Staff member
Every Feeder driver carries a small holster flashlight. But did you know you can get a small tactical holster flashlight?
Mine has a high and low setting, and a blinding strobe. The bulb end is "crowned" to make it quite painful to be hit with it. I bought it about a month ago at a gun show. Amazingly bright, comes with a rechargeable battery and charger, haven't had to recharge it yet.

Lot's of completely legal things you can have at work that could be used to defend yourself. Don't bring the gun or knife!

TheDick

UPS encourages you to buy ur own flashlight. But after u buy the maglight get the LED drop-in.

I bought one for my sure fire and dang its so bright i wouldnt dare look at it

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would also suggest the idea of (1) pulling over and letting them pass, or (2) cell phoning the police.

But........ it is completely allowable at UPS to have a 3 D cell maglite on your package car.
I keep a 3cell mag with me. I usually carry it in such a way that if I had to swing it I would hold on to the bulb end so it couldn't slip out of my hand easily.

over9five

Staff member
you don't have a specific wording do you? a lot of things can be considered weapons, which is usually where things get specific, which is what i'm looking for..

From the "UPS Code Of Business Conduct"

"We also prohibit the unauthorized possession and/or use of weapons by any employee while at work, on company property, or while on company business."

The UPS Code of Business Conduct can be viewed by anyone at ups.com.

over9five

Staff member
I doubt you'll find anything more specific. They wouldn't want to limit themselves in what could be defined as a weapon.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
From the "UPS Code Of Business Conduct"

"We also prohibit the unauthorized possession and/or use of weapons by any employee while at work, on company property, or while on company business."

The UPS Code of Business Conduct can be viewed by anyone at ups.com.

I doubt you'll find anything more specific. They wouldn't want to limit themselves in what could be defined as a weapon.

:thumbdown

i have a hard time believing that would stand up to a lawsuit, especially since state/local laws go to the trouble of defining prohibited weapons.

oh well, UPS, go figure. i guess i'll ask my HR rep if she can track something more specific down so i'm not relying on just my wits to survive :knockedout:

over9five

Staff member
I think it is ill advised to ask HR what kind of weapons you are allowed to bring to work.

Bring the big flashlight.

overallowed

I carry a pocketknife (2.5" blade) and a wallpaper knife (razor w/ break-off blade, from the days where we had to cut tags off packages). I have never actually thought about using either for a weapon, but until cornered, you never know what you are actually capable of. I think avoidance, cell phone, and car (in that order) would be the first line of defense.