Upset courier

dex 84

When they have to pay you an hour of pay as a penalty, it would be more than olcc if it was a recurring problem.

It's their problem though, not mine. I want to take a break but I am constantly being put in a situation where I can't do that or where the only way I can is to put it in during the sort delay which I refuse to do. I don't think it's too much to ask to have a half hour of time out on the road where I can sit and have my lunch.

!Retired!

I agree with you. I'm a new father and I leave before my daughter wakes up and I'm usually home after she's been put to bed for the night. It sucks.
I feel for you, seriously. I leave before the kids wake up, but I'm home before they get out of school.
I really feel for you folks at FedEx. But when I hear posters like Serf say he'd gladly put up with the abuse for our pay you guys and gals have no clue what we go through on a daily basis. If you have a family you will NEVER see them. NEVER. Saturdays and Sundays. That's it. You're kid has an event at 4pm. Don't EVER plan on attending it. UPS could care less about your personal life. There is no such thing as getting off at 4pm. You call out or schedule the day off. That's it. You will miss your kids entire childhood. But you will be able to provide for them. If you were lucky enough o make it 25 years or 30 years to retirement, plan on walking with a limp for the rest of your life. We are abused and harassed and belittled on a daily basis.
Is it worth it? And does that represent the majority?
We have that rule too but then it gets busy and it becomes a half hour lunch and then it gets really busy and that goes out the window too unless we have a half hour of dead time during the sort then they want us taking our lunch in the morning.
I can't remember the last time I took an hour lunch....by choice. I'd rather take 30 minutes and get off sooner. We are also allowed a paid 10 minute break for every 4 hours on the clock, which I rarely take, just to get off before school ends.
Best thing you can do is really bump it up during peak 2x 3x post tax contributions... then drop it back down after peak.
Good idea.
Thanks for sharing. For many of us on this side of the fence, it has been pretty much the same deal, except without the pay and benefits.
In my station, people are struggling/milking to get 40. Me? Pay me my minimums and let me make the volleyball games and swim meets. Paying me more per hour isn't going to change that.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's their problem though, not mine. I want to take a break but I am constantly being put in a situation where I can't do that or where the only way I can is to put it in during the sort delay which I refuse to do. I don't think it's too much to ask to have a half hour of time out on the road where I can sit and have my lunch.
I'm not understanding why you're not taking your break.

dezguy

I've been olcced for it but that's all that ever comes of it.

A break violation is better than having dex 01s...
Why would you care about having dex 01's? First, those don't go against you, they go against the station. Second, if you're being sent out with more work than you're supposed to have, they deserve the dex01's. Screw them!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've been olcced for it but that's all that ever comes of it.

A break violation is better than having dex 01s...
You should never be skipping your break. As long as you tell them you will have lates before you leave the building, it's their problem. Take your break and have lates. They will fix it soon enough. Don't skip your breaks. You need that time to rest and relax.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Screw the managers. Hell with them if they're giving you too much work which seems to be the norm these days. Take your break. Let management explain to the district why you're bringing back dex 01's. Let them figure out something, that is if they have any brains to do so. They're sure as hell taking their lunch breaks, I'll guarantee 'ya.

McFeely

Huge Member
Your plan may be different but I know with ours we can make changes at any time. Try raising it by 3% and if that is too much you can always drop it to 1%.

Our plan allows for changing our percentage at any time, it's just that I cannot afford to do much more than that at this point given my current household/family expenses. I typically only change my contribution level once a year when I get my yearly raise. Right now I'm at 8%, going to 9% in October.

I can honestly say that I'm doing OK financially, though. My wife makes a decent salary and we're always building up our savings/liquid accounts. When I was in my 20s I was lucky to save $20 a paycheck, now I'm putting away a good 20% into accounts/retirement.

Best thing you can do is really bump it up during peak 2x 3x post tax contributions... then drop it back down after peak.

I may do just that if my bills are caught up. Good idea.

Purplepackage

Thanks for sharing. For many of us on this side of the fence, it has been pretty much the same deal, except without the pay and benefits.

This is exactly right, as a ups driver you just work later hours.

Ive gone weeks where i worked 7am and ended up punching out at 7pm, a ups driver might get stuck out there until 9pm but they only started around 9

Serf

Youre station must be the exception to Fedex, my station is also begging for people to work Saturday and do double routes. I just worked 56 hours this week, haven't had a week under 50 since May
Maybe, maybe not. I work at a big station. Part timers get whatever they want. And special deals are cut on a weekly basis.

Purplepackage

Maybe, maybe not. I work at a big station. Part timers get whatever they want. And special deals are cut on a weekly basis.

I'm at a pretty small station for Fedex standards, we cover a county and a half so we are always busy and never have enough help. The kind of place where 1 person goes out on injury and we are scrambling to make it work

Serf

I'm at a pretty small station for Fedex standards, we cover a county and a half so we are always busy and never have enough help. The kind of place where 1 person goes out on injury and we are scrambling to make it work
Interesting, we have routes in 2 states and cover a massive area. However, our army of degenerate and unsavory character part timer has been dispatched all across the area of operation.

Purplepackage

Interesting, we have routes in 2 states and cover a massive area. However, our army of degenerate and unsavory character part timer has been dispatched all across the area of operation.

We only have a few part timers mainly doing pup routes or FO. They try to keep part timers at their minimums here and just work the full time people to the bone

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is exactly right, as a ups driver you just work later hours.

Ive gone weeks where i worked 7am and ended up punching out at 7pm, a ups driver might get stuck out there until 9pm but they only started around 9

I used to come in at 0530 for FO or set-up the doc sort, do 10-11 hours on-road, and then work the PM reload. When I was an RTD I usually started at 0300 on the AM and would often work until 1600 doing Heavyweights because I was forced into it. On the PM's, I'd work all night (think feeders) and then sometimes get forced to hang around and do Heavyweight F1 because someone called in sick.

I always had between 55 and 60 hrs per week and often had to go home early on Fridays or start late because I was almost out of hours.

Zero home life for all intents and purposes.

Purplepackage

I used to come in at 0530 for FO or set-up the doc sort, do 10-11 hours on-road, and then work the PM reload. When I was an RTD I usually started at 0300 on the AM and would often work until 1600 doing Heavyweights because I was forced into it. On the PM's, I'd work all night (think feeders) and then sometimes get forced to hang around and do Heavyweight F1 because someone called in sick.

I always had between 55 and 60 hrs per week and often had to go home early on Fridays or start late because I was almost out of hours.

Zero home life for all intents and purposes.

It really depends on where you're located but this is a constant at my station. Always has been, and the worst part is for the guys that are mid range it's the only way to support their families

ManInBrown

LOL. Where I am it must not be busy then. The Express driver who works on my route has a half empty Sprinter Van at 11:30 am and says he is home by 3pm everyday.