Upset courier

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With my weak pay increase (3.6%), I'm only going to be able to bump up my 401k by 1% this year. My kids are getting more expensive every year...

Your plan may be different but I know with ours we can make changes at any time. Try raising it by 3% and if that is too much you can always drop it to 1%.

ManInBrown

I take home 12-1400 easy. I gross right around 2000 a week. Sometimes more. During peak I will easily bring home 1500 a week.
Yeah you're working about 12-13 hours of OT a week. No thanks

On a side note I used my double time day a few weeks ago. Grossed 2300

Take home was 14 something. LOL. The only upside was I contributed 350 that week to my 401K

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Yeah you're working about 12-13 hours of OT a week. No thanks

On a side note I used my double time day a few weeks ago. Grossed 2300

Take home was 14 something. LOL
Yeah I always work at least 53 hours a week. Typically 54-55 sometimes more. We have too much work and not enough routes in so cal. If the stars align my route will pay a day or two a week equating to an hour of two of bonus. I also claim 5.

ManInBrown

I really feel for you folks at FedEx. But when I hear posters like Serf say he'd gladly put up with the abuse for our pay you guys and gals have no clue what we go through on a daily basis. If you have a family you will NEVER see them. NEVER. Saturdays and Sundays. That's it. You're kid has an event at 4pm. Don't EVER plan on attending it. UPS could care less about your personal life. There is no such thing as getting off at 4pm. You call out or schedule the day off. That's it. You will miss your kids entire childhood. But you will be able to provide for them. If you were lucky enough o make it 25 years or 30 years to retirement, plan on walking with a limp for the rest of your life. We are abused and harassed and belittled on a daily basis.

ManInBrown

Let me give the folks at FedEx a look into the life of a UPS driver. When I said if your kid has an event at 4pm don't ever plan on attending unless you call out or schedule the day. If you asked them for the day and told them why. Not only would they say no. But they would make a mental note of the day you asked for. And when that day came, they would give you an extra 20 stops just to piss you off, and they know you're going to run that day to get done.

dex 84

Of all I've heard from UPSers the thing that really gets me is that they take a lunch break out every day whether or not you stop for it. At least when I have to work 11 or even 12+ hours straight with no break I get to stick it to them by not putting in a break. You guys get :censored2:ed...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Of all I've heard from UPSers the thing that really gets me is that they take a lunch break out every day whether or not you stop for it. At least when I have to work 11 or even 12+ hours straight with no break I get to stick it to them by not putting in a break. You guys get :censored2:ed...

This varies from district to district but, yes, they will generally take out our full lunch whether we take it or not.

ManInBrown

We have these things called RULES at UPS. One of those rules is an hour meal. All depending on the state you live in. I've heard California gets extra paid breaks

And any driver that works thru his meal at UPS is nothing more than an idiot Runner Gunner

dex 84

We have these things called RULES at UPS. One of those rules is an hour meal. All depending on the state you live in. I've heard California gets extra paid breaks

And any driver that works thru his meal at UPS is nothing more than an idiot Runner Gunner

We have that rule too but then it gets busy and it becomes a half hour lunch and then it gets really busy and that goes out the window too unless we have a half hour of dead time during the sort then they want us taking our lunch in the morning.

SmithBarney

With my weak pay increase (3.6%), I'm only going to be able to bump up my 401k by 1% this year. My kids are getting more expensive every year...

Best thing you can do is really bump it up during peak 2x 3x post tax contributions... then drop it back down after peak.

dex 84

Is it? We are informed of the lunch policy upon hire and reminded throughout the year.

That being said, whenever I take less than the full lunch, or no lunch at all, my pay is not reduced.

They can inform you of the lunch policy all they want, if you have so much work that you can't take a lunch that shouldn't come out of your pay. They're getting free labor. If I worked at UPS I'd have an hours of service violation before I even thought about delivering packages during lunch.

SmithBarney

Is it? We are informed of the lunch policy upon hire and reminded throughout the year.

That being said, whenever I take less than the full lunch, or no lunch at all, my pay is not reduced.

But if the Driver can skip lunch and manage to finish at 8 or less hours, they can take the 1hr, but Driver still gets guaranteed 8hrs for the day.. I always liked that...of course it required being fast and quiet returning to the center, cause if the on car spotted you, you were heading back out on road to help... ;)

MAKAVELI

Not in California. That would get you a break violation and an olcc. Do it again it probably would be a letter.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
FedEx and UPS are really just sweatshops on wheels.

UPS is just a good paying sweatshop.

Both are heavily controlled by white collar crooks and Wall Street thugs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I really feel for you folks at FedEx. But when I hear posters like Serf say he'd gladly put up with the abuse for our pay you guys and gals have no clue what we go through on a daily basis. If you have a family you will NEVER see them. NEVER. Saturdays and Sundays. That's it. You're kid has an event at 4pm. Don't EVER plan on attending it. UPS could care less about your personal life. There is no such thing as getting off at 4pm. You call out or schedule the day off. That's it. You will miss your kids entire childhood. But you will be able to provide for them. If you were lucky enough o make it 25 years or 30 years to retirement, plan on walking with a limp for the rest of your life. We are abused and harassed and belittled on a daily basis.

Thanks for sharing. For many of us on this side of the fence, it has been pretty much the same deal, except without the pay and benefits.