UPSPAC & United Way 2012

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It can also be conjectured that UPS doesn't care about mgt who they don't give raises to or cap with salary bands.

LOL ... there is a higher probability of that than "it can be conjectured that people who get promoted are people that have a sense of responsibility and willing to look beyond their personal feelings."

Luckily UPS is not a person and does have feelings or cares ... it all comes down to your chain of command.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
1) When I was hired at UPS, like any other company, I realized I was hired to do what was best for the company which would be determined by a chain of command.
I have never been directed to do anything immoral or illegal, so that has not been a problem so far nor do I expect it to be a problem in the next 8 months or so before I retire.
I have been asked to do things that were neither immoral or illegal but I have been asked to do things I was not comfortable with at which point I pushed back and every single time it has been dropped.

2) This is such a subjective phrase that there is no way to really answer it. I have been treated poorly a few times and I got over it but I remembered the "person"s ... I remembered very well. I was wary and non-supportive of those individuals but always supportive of UPS.

You're reading too much into what I was saying. An example is a business manager that makes their on car supervisors come in early and stay until their last driver returns. Their people are guaranteed to work 11, 12, and higher hour days. It's immoral IMO to treat people like this. The people making these demands are suppressing their conscience and treating people poorly. My point was that they are often the personalities that are valued in operations and rewarded with promotion. Next thing you know you have division and operations managers that require business managers to work the preload AND manage the center until they hit the arbitrary production numbers put out by finance and ie. It's a punitive management style and I think it's wrong - but it's rewarded.

The thing that cracks me up is that most of these same people are "leadership givers" and get all teary eyed and tell you a sob story about the United Way for the sole purpose of making themselves look good. They're all heart alright.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You're reading too much into what I was saying.

Just rambling ... I figured we felt the same way "It is what it is."

The thing that cracks me up is that most of these same people are "leadership givers" and get all teary eyed and tell you a sob story about the United Way for the sole purpose of making themselves look good. They're all heart alright.

Yep and deacons in their church ... seen a few.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I have NEVER seen anyone held back due to lack of giving.

When it comes to UPSPAC, there is NO visibility into who gave. It can only be seen at a group level. (Minimum of 10 people in the group I think)

When it comes to United Way, its possible to see who gave and how much.....

I have seen however a Manager or Division Manager rated on how their center or division did.... I think that is fair personally. If a Division Manager cannot explain the importance of these things, maybe he / she is not doing the job.

I'm a believer in both and have conversations to my group all year about it. NOT just at contribution time. I have had a consistently high contriubution rate over the years....
It would be interesting to consider that perhaps a certain demographic of people that give through a local religious section would impact the Division. Say a majority of management attend the same mega church or a disaster happened in the local area, the money that normally filters into UW/UPSPAC wouldn't be there. Would it be fair to question their commitment to where they work over the needs of their own local community?

Charity is freely giving, forced giving is nothing more than someone robbing you, a tax you might say.

supenazi

I have NEVER seen anyone held back due to lack of giving.

When it comes to UPSPAC, there is NO visibility into who gave. It can only be seen at a group level. (Minimum of 10 people in the group I think)

When it comes to United Way, its possible to see who gave and how much.....

I have seen however a Manager or Division Manager rated on how their center or division did.... I think that is fair personally. If a Division Manager cannot explain the importance of these things, maybe he / she is not doing the job.

I'm a believer in both and have conversations to my group all year about it. NOT just at contribution time. I have had a consistently high contriubution rate over the years....

I wish I could work for Pretzel_man. I like everything he says. I wish all of management had his philosophy and words of wisdom.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just the fact that giving is measured and tracked is wrong.
It's just another corporate duping, no different than pouring money into the next fad product on the market. The only difference is, it leaves a "feel-good" aspect to keep peoples wallets open. Similar to church, I guess.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I take it you don't go to church.
Giving is made from the heart, it's not an instrument to determine wether you go to heaven. One of the things that turn people off to organized religion is the seemingly "mandatory" giving that has gone on. The same people that would open their wallets to help others are the same that will fight off someone trying to take the same amount forcibly or by guilt.

I know how you feel, I have been a Leadership Legacy giver since I was a Part-Time Supe, over a $1,000.00 a year for the last few years, and this year, a big fat ZERO! As for the UPSPAC, they can kiss my $250.00 a year away also! They are gutting this company at the expense of pleasing a FEW analysts in the markets and for that we have 425,000 unhappy workers, pissed off customers and losing ground to the competition EVERY single day!

brownIEman

That is actually interesting information. I am almost tempted to change my UPSpac donation now.
Almost. It will stay at $0.0 for the foreseeable future.

ActionJaxson

1Upspac-California$246,300
2Democratic Senatorial Campaign Cmte$30,000
2Republican State Leadership Cmte$30,000
2Democratic Congressional Campaign Cmte$30,000
2Natl Rep Cong Cmte$30,000
2National Republican Senatorial Cmte$30,000
7United Parcel Service$25,592
8Texans For Joe Straus$25,000
9Upspac-Missouri$18,200
10Susan Gage Caterers$17,447

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
It just makes you feel good inside that UPS gives us the opportunity to give to these politicians that care so deeply about the working class and the poor.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
I didn't donate to the United Way last year and wasn't this year. The center manager called me in his office and didn't give me the hard sell or a sob story. He simply asked if I wanted to give.

When I looked over the list of supported agencies, I saw one that changed my mind so I made a Leadership donation. It just might do some good in our city.