using your seniority to not work

wilberforce15

I'm talking about higher seniority here. The work was yours already, it wasn't "offered"
All work is offered, if there is more labor available than work.

If there are more people available than there is work, then the work is offered.

If they're sending anybody home or allowing anyone to go home, the right to work belongs to the senior guy. And so does the right to turn it down.

wilberforce15

You guys are somehow turning the right to work into the requirement to work.
A right can be claimed, or the person can turn it down. That's why it's a right to work.

The senior guy has first choice to take extra Saturday work. And he has the first right to turn it down.
The senior guy has first choice to take available Monday work. And he has the right to turn it down.

Zowert

When I first started a senior guy handled me his diad and said you’re on my route today. I tossed his board under a truck and walked away. You have the right to work not the right to go home.
I would’ve just said, “ok” then do his route. Why not? If the guy is a real jerk you could make sure he has as many send-agains as possible the next day. That would make him think twice about having you cover his route in the future.

allahuakbar

She/Her
I would’ve just said, “ok” then do his route. Why not? If the guy is a real jerk you could make sure he has as many send-agains as possible the next day. That would make him think twice about having you cover his route in the future.
Dude was a punk. I had already hit my 30and was hoping he’d throw a punch when I tossed his board. I never let the senior guys punk me around when I started.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
im aware of using your seniority to get the work thats available before others...but is there anything in the southern agreement that states one can use their seniority to not work. for example: demanding to be sent home before others with less seniority... more specifically, giving a lower seniority driver your DIAD and telling them they're running you're route today and you'll be the one going home "MUAHAHAHA"
It's Article 64. You can grieve it, the grievance will be settled with a 'Company Will Comply" and since there is no monetary penalty management will continue to let their favorites have the days off.Atleast that was my experience

allahuakbar

She/Her
So you also wanted a shorter pay progression AND to be treated better than 25 year employees. Got it.
Not at all.
You can’t just hand your board to a rookie and say “you’re doing my route today” it’s not how any of this works. If management said “hey you’re on bills route today” No problem boss.
He was a like 4 year employee at the time aswell

qdg2

I'm talking about higher seniority here. The work was yours already, it wasn't "offered"
And...you were guaranteed your start time within an hour.....but not your run.....yes, even the top guy could be "forced" to not have his "bid" run. Now, this didn't happened a lot. I've seen runs cut without notice. The victim has to go to the coverage board during the "bump".

Box Handler of Dallas

im aware of using your seniority to get the work thats available before others...but is there anything in the southern agreement that states one can use their seniority to not work. for example: demanding to be sent home before others with less seniority... more specifically, giving a lower seniority driver your DIAD and telling them they're running you're route today and you'll be the one going home "MUAHAHAHA"
Yes. If they are looking for someone to leave early voluntarily, it's seniority top down. Forced to go home after the 3.5/8 guarantee, bottom up.

Cowboy Mac

Seniority in all instances.
It's like when shifting here. When the work slows down, yard control will start with the top guy in the yard, saying over the radio "Stay or go?"
I'm not in the Southern, but I would hope Seniority matters there too.
It doesn’t. They don’t even let pkg car drivers bump in my building

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I care about it. Some of us are here for benefits. I don't care about pay.

I only get 4 weeks of vacation, 5 sick days, and 5 personal days.

So I try to go home a lot without using one of the days.
Not working is not working. If you go hone you are not working.

wilberforce15

You can do that from home too. Just tell the sup not to put you in for a sick day.
That doesn't fly here. They are instructed to put it in. All call-ins use days if they're available.
But going home after showing up doesn't. Especially since I usually get a few minutes of clock time. So, it counts as me being there, and keeps my days intact.

Drink Craft Beer

Had a situation yesterday on the preload. We were lighter in volume than normal so an hour or so before start time, management went from the bottom up, called like 4 or 5 people and said they weren't needed, even though they were scheduled.

Shouldn't it always be from the top down in that situation to see if the highest seniority wants the day off?

wilberforce15

Had a situation yesterday on the preload. We were lighter in volume than normal so am hour or so before, management went from the bottom up, called like 4 or 5 people and said they weren't needed, even though they were scheduled.

Shouldn't it always be from the top down in that situation to see if the highest seniority wants the day off?
Yep. If there isn't enough work for everyone, the work is offered from top to bottom.

If they don't get enough, people are forced from the bottom up.