Visiting Memphis, but Not for FedEx

Oldfart

There shouldn't even be a 1 year rule. I think Lebron has done ok going straight from high school to the pros.

I know nothing about the NBA but for every Lebron, there are hundreds of Lenny Cookes and Booger Smiths. High School phenoms that jumped straight to the NBA and now are broke and have no college degree.

It will be fine

I know nothing about the NBA but for every Lebron, there are hundreds of Lenny Cookes and Booger Smiths. High School phenoms that jumped straight to the NBA and now are broke and have no college degree.
I'm just against college sports in general. If a kid can make money playing ball he should be allowed to. He shouldn't be forced to play for free for a year. There are plenty of athletes that can't go pro that can play out a scholarship in college.

It will be fine

Playing for free for one year is wrong, but playing for free for four years is no problem?
I think trading four years of playing a sport for a college education is a good trade for a lot of kids. If a kid is good enough to go pro and make some real money he should be able to without giving away 1 year in his prime earning years for free. A player good enough to go pro can afford to go back to school after his playing days if he wants to.

vantexan

I think trading four years of playing a sport for a college education is a good trade for a lot of kids. If a kid is good enough to go pro and make some real money he should be able to without giving away 1 year in his prime earning years for free. A player good enough to go pro can afford to go back to school after his playing days if he wants to.
Only the very best make it to the NBA. Met a young fellow last year working at Burger King who played semi-pro ball in Salina, KS. He was contemplating going to China to play. He didn't finish college so working at fast food or similar was his option here. Had a great attitude though.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

I don't have a problem with kids going pro straight out of HS, but the NBA catches crap if that happens in large enough numbers and the players' union is content with the rule. If a kid doesn't want to spend that one year in college he can play foreign ball. He isn't required to attend college, at least I don't think he is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't have a problem with kids going pro straight out of HS, but the NBA catches crap if that happens in large enough numbers and the players' union is content with the rule. If a kid doesn't want to spend that one year in college he can play foreign ball. He isn't required to attend college, at least I don't think he is.

Fair enough---so rather than give these kids a full 4 year ride, why not make it one year at a time?

vantexan

Think about all the sports with no professional outlet. Most of these sports count on football and basketball to fund them. The kids playing the popular sports do a lot for others.

59 Dano

Fair enough---so rather than give these kids a full 4 year ride, why not make it one year at a time?

I dunno. Makes no difference to me what they do. Calipari gets a bad rap for it, but the kids who play for him are going to play their one year somewhere -- might as well be at UK for a coach who can get them the most exposure.

Oldfart

Which part of the state are you from? I grew up in a divided house in the Louisville area.
Not a resident, just a fan. Been to Bowling Green a lot to the Vette Museum and the race track. Staying in Louisville in July when I go to the Nascar race in Sparta, just north of Louisville.

59 Dano

Not a resident, just a fan. Been to Bowling Green a lot to the Vette Museum and the race track. Staying in Louisville in July when I go to the Nascar race in Sparta, just north of Louisville.

That track made the news a few years ago when it hosted its first big event and traffic was backed up for miles in both directions on I-71.

Oldfart

That track made the news a few years ago when it hosted its first big event and traffic was backed up for miles in both directions on I-71.
Yep They didn't have a good parking plan in place and many people arriving late didn't make the race. At big events like that they make all roads going in 1 way heading toward the track before the race and again 1 way leaving the track after the race. The traffic was so bottle necked that they had to turn people around before the race and send them away. They have fixed that problem and it is as smooth as it can be considering 60k or so attend the race each year.

Oldfart

Actually their scholarships ARE 1 year at a time. They are renewed annually by the school and in some instances, you will hear about a school no renewing a kids scholarship. Not a very popular move as far as PR goes, but it happens.

vantexan

Can we cease the sports discussion and get back to my topic? Ironic in that I'm a big no sports fan.
Sure. Beyond great bbq and some nice people Memphis is the armpit of the South. I miss some of the friends I have there, but when I was 26 couldn't wait to leave. Best friends I ever had, and all of them from other places. No wonder the Blues big there. Even Elvis was from somewhere else. And when I think Memphis these days can't help but think of FedEx.