Voluntary Ignore List

Nimnim

The Nim
Huh, didn't know the system made it possible for a mod to ignore the members they could potentially be moderating. Well learn something new I guess.

Marne Vet

I get what you are saying Marne V, but it does not matter if a person on your ignore list comments on your stuff. You will not see it. You will not see it in quotes either, if another user quotes them, you do not see that post either. You do not see topics they start. The only way you know they exist is if others post to them, mentioning their name and not quoting their post.

The ignore function with this software is very, very robust. I would even go to say it is impressive.

As far as moderating..... if someone hits the alert button, I can read that alert in the comfort in of the mod lounge. I can click the link and read the alerted post. There is also a button at the bottom of every forum that I can click "see ignored content" I click that and all comes up. If I am in a thread, at the bottom of each page is a button, "see ignored content" I can click that and see it.

The only thing that I cannot do is message a member I have on ignore. Messages are now 'conversations.' I cannot start a conversation with an ignored member, as their replies would be invisible to me.

There are plenty of mods here, including some that refuse to ignore members. If the alert button is hit, a mod squad member can do what needs to be done. The only thing that I cannot do is act as a mod on an ignored member before a button is pressed.

The point that everyone seems to be forgetting is that this is Cheryl's place. We should all be acting as if we were sitting in her living room. It is really that simple.

A couple of things. The mobile app does not incorporate the Ignore List. I can see still some of these clowns commenting. That's the issue. If you truly want an ignore feature then it should be up to the user to block all of their content from the people they don't want commenting on it. Take them completely out of your conversations. When enough people block these idiots they'll either go away, or learn to play better with others. I've asked a few people politely to add me to their own Ignore Lists, yet they won't do it. These people like to harass others, and yes, UpState is one of them. Constantly adds useless info to my threads, and then implies I'm making this stuff up. I don't want him around anything I post, and this is why the Ignore List is useless. When I'm on my laptop I don't have to see this clown leave his backhanded insults directed at me, but when I'm mobile that's all I see. People like him actually make guys like myself rethink coming [here] and sharing our experiences. If this was Cheryl's living room I would've gone to the kitchen, and then UpState would follow me there to continue on with his useless banter. Eventually I'll leave the party, and soon others may follow. Is that what you guys want? To force people away because we can't block these individuals from communicating their negativity towards us? Enough already. The guy's a grown man and acts like a child. Force him to place me on ignore, or at least give us the option to do it ourselves, and that will stop a lot of this crap. Sorry I had to even mention that guys name, but it's like having a severe case of hemorrhoids that I have to keep scratching, and you guys are holding the Preparation H onstage.

wayfair

swollen member
A couple of things. The mobile app does not incorporate the Ignore List. I can see still some of these clowns commenting. That's the issue. If you truly want an ignore feature then it should be up to the user to block all of their content from the people they don't want commenting on it. Take them completely out of your conversations. When enough people block these idiots they'll either go away, or learn to play better with others. I've asked a few people politely to add me to their own Ignore Lists, yet they won't do it. These people like to harass others, and yes, UpState is one of them. Constantly adds useless info to my threads, and then implies I'm making this stuff up. I don't want him around anything I post, and this is why the Ignore List is useless. When I'm on my laptop I don't have to see this clown leave his backhanded insults directed at me, but when I'm mobile that's all I see. People like him actually make guys like myself rethink coming [here] and sharing our experiences. If this was Cheryl's living room I would've gone to the kitchen, and then UpState would follow me there to continue on with his useless banter. Eventually I'll leave the party, and soon others may follow. Is that what you guys want? To force people away because we can't block these individuals from communicating their negativity towards us? Enough already. The guy's a grown man and acts like a child. Force him to place me on ignore, or at least give us the option to do it ourselves, and that will stop a lot of this crap. Sorry I had to even mention that guys name, but it's like having a severe case of hemorrhoids that I have to keep scratching, and you guys are holding the Preparation H onstage.
don't be so hung up on "him"

that was a lot of effort to type all that...lol

Marne Vet

don't be so hung up on "him"

that was a lot of effort to type all that...lol

I used him as the example because he's one of the biggest antagonists. What good is an Ignore List if it doesn't work properly? It doesn't block these people, and you can still see the crap they write when you're on the Mobile App.

icu

for who you are !
The same way I would walk away from any clown in a group setting that was annoying me. I'm not gonna stand there and listen to them, so why would I constantly read annoying crap posted by annoying people? The only problem with the Ignore List/feature, is that the user can't control who sees what they post. If I want to ignore someone I don't even want that dope to have the privilege of reading what I have to say. That's ignoring them. Hopefully the powers that be [here] will implement such a user oriented ignore feature and we can finally show these constant asshats what it's like to be left-out of conversations. If they came [here] and couldn't participate in threads because they were deemed a nuisance, they'd get the message really quick. Clean up your act or just leave. .02

Marne vet and hoax sitting in a tree...

Y'all 2 could learn something if you weren't playing Judge Judy. That's how IC both of y'all. You can run, but you can't hide.

Marne Vet

Marne vet and hoax sitting in a tree...

Y'all 2 could learn something if you weren't playing Judge Judy. That's how IC both of y'all. You can run, but you can't hide.

Congrats on winning a spot on my list. Really don't care what you think, or what you have to say.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
How can you moderate people if you added them to your "ignore list". I thought moderators had to work for the greater good of BC and sort through all the crap. However, did your job become easier, sorta like a retirement in a sense?
Huh, didn't know the system made it possible for a mod to ignore the members they could potentially be moderating. Well learn something new I guess.

I thought that through and it comes down to the members here assuming eh responsibility to report posts they feel are objectionable.

From the Terms of Service and rules:
3.) Our staff does not review all of the content posted here. We rely on the members to report inappropriate content so that it can be reviewed by the moderators and appropriate action taken when necessary. Content will not be deleted or altered for the purpose of distorting the pattern of opinion in any given discussion. The sole purpose of content editing or deletion is to remove inappropriate content and enforce these Terms of Service and House Rules.

Read more from the TOS and Rules: http://www.browncafe.com/community/help/terms#ixzz2sH1A8ps3

As Jones wrote earlier, "As far as moderating..... if someone hits the alert button, I can read that alert in the comfort in of the mod lounge. I can click the link and read the alerted post. There is also a button at the bottom of every forum that I can click "see ignored content" I click that and all comes up. If I am in a thread, at the bottom of each page is a button, "see ignored content" I can click that and see it.

The only thing that I cannot do is message a member I have on ignore. Messages are now 'conversations.' I cannot start a conversation with an ignored member, as their replies would be invisible to me.

There are plenty of mods here, including some that refuse to ignore members. If the alert button is hit, a mod squad member can do what needs to be done. The only thing that I cannot do is act as a mod on an ignored member before a button is pressed.

The point that everyone seems to be forgetting is that this is Cheryl's place. We should all be acting as if we were sitting in her living room. It is really that simple.
"

I addition, to what Jones outlined, you can "Unignore someone very easily with a click, send a "Conversation Message" and then put them back on "Ignore" again with a simple click.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The point that everyone seems to be forgetting is that this is Cheryl's place. We should all be acting as if we were sitting in her living room. It is really that simple."
I'm not sure it is really that simple.
This isn't her living room, it's her place of business.
A business that has grown leaps and bounds since I joined in 2008 due to the participation of the members who come here.
These members/employees whose only compensation is being able to participate.
A kin to reality TV, it seems to me that the tension and friction here has helped build this site and increase its membership as well lure the lurkers who come to just read the variety of threads available.
I find it hard to characterize this site as an extension of anybodies home or that it is like a public library.
That being said, I fully understand the need for the TOS and have accepted it while paying the price when I violate.

I think that the people who deem it necessary to utilize an "ignore" feature tend to be weak minded and without self control.
I have nobody on ignore, nor will I ever.
I ignore scores of posts and threads every week without software enhancements.
Some people really take themselves way to seriously.

blkmamba

I thought that through and it comes down to the members here assuming eh responsibility to report posts they feel are objectionable.

From the Terms of Service and rules:
3.) Our staff does not review all of the content posted here. We rely on the members to report inappropriate content so that it can be reviewed by the moderators and appropriate action taken when necessary. Content will not be deleted or altered for the purpose of distorting the pattern of opinion in any given discussion. The sole purpose of content editing or deletion is to remove inappropriate content and enforce these Terms of Service and House Rules.

Read more from the TOS and Rules: http://www.browncafe.com/community/help/terms#ixzz2sH1A8ps3

As Jones wrote earlier, "As far as moderating..... if someone hits the alert button, I can read that alert in the comfort in of the mod lounge. I can click the link and read the alerted post. There is also a button at the bottom of every forum that I can click "see ignored content" I click that and all comes up. If I am in a thread, at the bottom of each page is a button, "see ignored content" I can click that and see it.

"

I addition, to what Jones outlined, you can "Unignore someone very easily with a click, send a "Conversation Message" and then put them back on "Ignore" again with a simple click.

You expect us to be responsible? Do we look civilized?

Marne Vet

I think that the people who deem it necessary to utilize an "ignore" feature tend to be weak minded and without self control.
I have nobody on ignore, nor will I ever.
I ignore scores of posts and threads every week without software enhancements.
Some people really take themselves way to seriously.

If that wasn't the dumbest assumption I've ever read I don't what is. Really? I'm pretty sure that after being wounded, sticking out a second tour in Iraq, and bringing all of my boys home safe, that I don't even fall anywhere near this ridiculous opinion. Weak minded, and no self control? Let me see you make it through the French Commando school for a week. You're an idiot if you think adding people to an ignore feature is either one of those categories. I ignore asses in real life because if I'm around them long enough someone gets punched. That's called restraint, and an incredible amount of self control to know when to walk away and ignore these clowns. I have a bunch of people [here] on my Ignore List that agitate me, and do not contribute anything to my presence when I'm [here]. I see no point in reading their useless contributions that are nothing more than direct engagements to draw an emotional response. Kinda like your statement here. Whether you intended or not to come across as superior than others with this chest beating "I'm too good to use it" attitude, and that BS assessment of others that do utilize it, or if it was just completely innocent I really don't care. Someone needs to put that BS in check. I don't take myself serious, but I don't like it when clowns try to intentionally agitate me. You can step down from your pedestal and quit patting yourself on the back over not utilizing the ignore feature. No one is impressed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If that wasn't the dumbest assumption I've ever read I don't what is. Really? I'm pretty sure that after being wounded, sticking out a second tour in Iraq, and bringing all of my boys home safe, that I don't even fall anywhere near this ridiculous opinion. Weak minded, and no self control? Let me see you make it through the French Commando school for a week. You're an idiot if you think adding people to an ignore feature is either one of those categories. I ignore asses in real life because if I'm around them long enough someone gets punched. That's called restraint, and an incredible amount of self control to know when to walk away and ignore these clowns. I have a bunch of people [here] on my Ignore List that agitate me, and do not contribute anything to my presence when I'm [here]. I see no point in reading their useless contributions that are nothing more than direct engagements to draw an emotional response. Kinda like your statement here. Whether you intended or not to come across as superior than others with this chest beating "I'm too good to use it" attitude, and that BS assessment of others that do utilize it, or if it was just completely innocent I really don't care. Someone needs to put that BS in check. I don't take myself serious, but I don't like it when clowns try to intentionally agitate me. You can step down from your pedestal and quit patting yourself on the back over not utilizing the ignore feature. No one is impressed.
You do know what a bubblehead is don't you?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bubblehead
bub·ble·head (bŭb′əl-hĕd′)n. A foolish or empty-headed person.

At least he admits it.

Marne Vet

You do know what a bubblehead is don't you?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bubblehead
bub·ble·head (bŭb′əl-hĕd′)n. A foolish or empty-headed person.

At least he admits it.

I don't think that at all, and enjoy his posts. We're all open for criticism though, and that particular comment of his was indeed foolish from my perspective. I didn't know whether to laugh, or what after reading it. Weak minded, or lacking self control? I've been called a lot of things, but never either of those.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Actually 4 people thought enough of what I wrote to agree publicly.
Not sure if that qualifies as having impressed anybody, but that wasn't really my goal.
I didn't say I was to good to use it, rather that I didn't need it.
I, like you served in the military and learned there, as much as anywhere, restraint and the value of thick skin.

I'm sorry if I struck a vein and thank you for your service.

P.S. My route is also in the hood and I enjoy and relate to many of your stories.

Marne Vet

Actually 4 people thought enough of what I wrote to agree publicly.
Not sure if that qualifies as having impressed anybody, but that wasn't really my goal.
I didn't say I was to good to use it, rather that I didn't need it.
I, like you served in the military and learned there, as much as anywhere, restraint and the value of thick skin.

I'm sorry if I struck a vein and thank you for your service.

P.S. My route is also in the hood and I enjoy and relate to many of your stories.

Then you understand my response completely, and thank you as well.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I don't think that at all, and enjoy his posts. We're all open for criticism though, and that particular comment of his was indeed foolish from my perspective. I didn't know whether to laugh, or what after reading it. Weak minded, or lacking self control? I've been called a lot of things, but never either of those.

Restraint may have been a better word, as you pointed out earlier.
That part of my post was intended for a different target and obviously missed its mark?
I'm pretty sure I quoted somebody else's post?