Wage progression update.

Quigley

Had a meeting with labor today. This is whats happening in our local. If you are in progression as of Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 cent raise. If the .70 cent raise puts your hourly rate at less then what the new rate is, you get the new rate. If the .70 cent raise puts you over the new rate, you get the higher rate.
Example: Driver is making $17.25 per hour + .70 = $17.95 New rate is $18.75. Driver will get the new rate of $18.75.
Because of the retro checks being processed right now, payroll will not do any payroll adjustments on the new rate till the retro checks are all processed, at which point they will do new wage rates and back pay.
Now I know there will be those that will say its not right and I'm full of it but thats ok, this is what the drivers are getting and no amount of critisism will change that.

scisector9

You rock quig. I hope if and when 710 settles our contract my stewards fight for me as hard as you do for your guys and gals. As stated by myself before I have seniority date of July 15 2013 so this all effects me quite a bit. I left a job making almost 70k in 2012 to drive for brown. I know in the long run money won't be an issue but making around 50 my first year is a big adjustment. Keep up the good fight. Thank you and cheers!

Sent using BrownCafe App

kingOFchester

Had a meeting with labor today. This is whats happening in our local. If you are in progression as of Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 cent raise. If the .70 cent raise puts your hourly rate at less then what the new rate is, you get the new rate. If the .70 cent raise puts you over the new rate, you get the higher rate.
Example: Driver is making $17.25 per hour + .70 = $17.95 New rate is $18.75. Driver will get the new rate of $18.75.
Because of the retro checks being processed right now, payroll will not do any payroll adjustments on the new rate till the retro checks are all processed, at which point they will do new wage rates and back pay.
Now I know there will be those that will say its not right and I'm full of it but thats ok, this is what the drivers are getting and no amount of critisism will change that.

What local? Our local is siding with UPS and saying they only get the .70.

Brown stains

This is the same as I heard from my center manager and steward wensday

JL 0513

OP, I really hope you're right. I will be getting hell of retro check if this is true. I made seniority 4/13 and am in 3 year progression. I made $17.25 from 5/13 through 4/14 at which point I got my 2 year raise which is currently $18.45. So my retro check would be $1.50 for every hour of 9 months! I won't believe it until I see it.

Question though. If the contract was ratified in April and if this is true about matching new contract rates, then why am I still at $18.45? Wouldn't that have already changed to $18.75? Or does it only change after the retros go out? Someone please clarify, I'd appreciate it!

Some rough math would suggest I'd be getting a check in the ballpark of $2,700 gross. That would make my year.

Last edited:

Quigley

OP, I really hope you're right. I will be getting hell of retro check if this is true. I made seniority 4/13 and am in 3 year progression. I made $17.25 from 5/13 through 4/14 at which point I got my 2 year raise which is currently $18.45. So my retro check would be $1.50 for every hour of 9 months! I won't believe it until I see it.

Question though. If the contract was ratified in April and if this is true about matching new contract rates, then why am I still at $18.45? Wouldn't that have already changed to $18.75? Or does it only change after the retros go out? Someone please clarify, I'd appreciate it!

This is what I was told: Because of the retro checks being processed right now, payroll will not do any payroll adjustments on the new rate till the retro checks are all processed, at which point they will do new wage rates and back pay.

JL 0513

This is what I was told: Because of the retro checks being processed right now, payroll will not do any payroll adjustments on the new rate till the retro checks are all processed, at which point they will do new wage rates and back pay.

Thanks, I appreciate it. This is getting my hopes up. When you're barely getting by, these dollars really make a huge difference.

I'm still confused as to the rest of my progression though. I know the new contract has significantly higher rates for the yearly increments than the previous contract, although the progression is the longer 4 years. So as a 2nd year driver, I'm being matched to new driver rates and no more, ie 2nd year rate under new contract wouldn't apply to me? I appreciate any increase I get but it is a bit disappointing when a brand new driver makes the same as me in year 2.

Then there's the question about my 2 year rate a year from now....

This is such a mystery when you have two contracts clashing.

JL 0513

Second year driver is $19.50, new driver is $18.75. Next Aug you will get another .70 = 21.20

Meaning the 12 month rate (19.50)? I'm also talking about the previous contract 24 month rate which is $20.75. What is the 24 month rate under new contract? Would it be that rate + GWI?

Quigley

Ok so lets do it this way. Your seniority is 4/13. So assuming the contract was ratified Aug 1 2013.
Seniority $17.25, Aug 1 + .70= $17.95 Since you cant make less then the new rate you go up to $18.75 4/14 12 months $19.50, Aug 2014 + .70 = $21.20
4/15 24 months $21, but you are already making more, Aug 2015 +.70 = $21.70
4/16 top rate.

Quigley

To add to the confusion, 50% of guys say one thing, 50% say another. I just checked out this thread and guys say that those in progression don't see the yearly increases (.70) that other drivers get.

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/driver-progression-in-the-new-contract.354053/page-2

Some say that you are stuck with the rates stated in your contract. Others say you can't make less than those under new contract.

Craziness.

I just read the other thread and all I can say to some folks "Dont let the facts get in the way of your opinion. " It boggles the mind when someone says you dont get the GWI while in progression. The contract couldnt be any clearer on that issue.

pharacyde

Not to threadjack, but has anyone else heard that those who went fulltime between Aug 1, and Apr 25 will be in 3yr progression. My BA swears this is the case and that it has been agreed upon. Everyone I talk to company side says we'd be in 4yr.