Wage progression update.

JL 0513

Your new rate should already be in effect.

My 12 month raise went into effect in the amount stated in the last contract. However, the contradicting statements regarding eligibility of the GWI's (.70) is yet to be resolved. Some are saying those raises only go into effect after the retro's are paid out. I don't know if I'll be getting a $1,200 or so retro check next week or $0.

It will indeed be BS if and when I realize that new hires coming on now are making more than me as a 2nd year driver. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It would be bad enough even if we were making the same. Less though?

upschuck

Thats funny since you never answered mine.

I have, but you refuse to accept it.

You ask about that one statement about wages in section 2. I say that that is for new hire as it plainly states after aug 1, 2013, and that the part for those still in progression is at the bottom of 2(c) which states that they stay in old progression. If that is not clear enough for you then I don't know what else I can say. I look at things, not through UPS bias, not through union bias, but through what the contract actually says.

Would I like it to say they make that amount or more? absolutely, but it does not say that in the contract.

upschuck

My 12 month raise went into effect in the amount stated in the last contract. However, the contradicting statements regarding eligibility of the GWI's (.70) is yet to be resolved. Some are saying those raises only go into effect after the retro's are paid out. I don't know if I'll be getting a $1,200 or so retro check next week or $0.

It will indeed be BS if and when I realize that new hires coming on now are making more than me as a 2nd year driver. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It would be bad enough even if we were making the same. Less though?
Without knowing specifics, you probably got 70¢ form Aug 1 through your seniority date, which knocked it up to the next level. You should get 70¢ again Aug 1. This is assuming your seniority date is before Aug 1,2013. That 70¢ will be in form of a retro check.

JL 0513

Without knowing specifics, you probably got 70¢ form Aug 1 through your seniority date, which knocked it up to the next level. You should get 70¢ again Aug 1. This is assuming your seniority date is before Aug 1,2013. That 70¢ will be in form of a retro check.

I hope so!

Quigley

I asked you about a sentence in the new contract and all you do is ignore what I ask and go directly to 2(c). I know what 2(c) says. I know you wont answer this but let me try again. What is the point of having this in the new contract:
They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance
with Article 41, Section 2 below.
When you have 2(c)
And please dont tell me it has to do with the GWI

Inthegame

I asked you about a sentence in the new contract and all you do is ignore what I ask and go directly to 2(c). I know what 2(c) says. I know you wont answer this but let me try again. What is the point of having this in the new contract:
They will be paid no less than what they are entitled to in accordance
with Article 41, Section 2 below.
When you have 2(c)
And please dont tell me it has to do with the GWI
The scale for anyone in progression as of 8/1/13 is dictated by the last sentence in Art 41 Sec 2 (c). Those in that progression scale will not make less than the amounts listed. You presume they should make no less than the amounts in the new 4 year progression scale and therein lies the confusion.

upschuck

Well you still haven't answered my question, so let me ask you this. What does the last sentence in that section say?

If you can't see that they are related then I don't' know what else to say. If that wasn't in the contract then UPS could argue they don't get the old progression bump on their seniority date. Ergo, 70¢ raise Aug 1, and a 50¢(or whichever year you are in difference) seniority date raise which you would not get.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The bickering in this thread is unnecessary. We got a fax from the IBT today that sadly confirms the in-progression raises will work the way I previously explained so I'm afraid you were mistaken Quigley. If you guys haven't seen the fax I'm attaching it to this post.

Attachments

• fax.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

MethodsMan

So let me get this straight. If you were in progression on the old contract, you get no raise, no retro check and guys who made seniority a year after you are making more money than you now?

mmmmmkayyy....

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So let me get this straight. If you were in progression on the old contract, you get no raise, no retro check and guys who made seniority a year after you are making more money than you now?

mmmmmkayyy....
No, read my previous post and the fax again. You get the 70 cents each august then you get the progression raise on your anniversary, but that progression raise isn't huge because you've already gotten part of it (70 cents) and you just get the remainder of your progression raise.

MethodsMan

No, read my previous post and the fax again. You get the 70 cents each august then you get the progression raise on your anniversary, but that progression raise isn't huge because you've already gotten part of it (70 cents) and you just get the remainder of your progression raise.

I haven't received any progression raise.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Had a meeting with labor today. This is whats happening in our local. If you are in progression as of Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 cent raise. If the .70 cent raise puts your hourly rate at less then what the new rate is, you get the new rate. If the .70 cent raise puts you over the new rate, you get the higher rate.
Example: Driver is making $17.25 per hour + .70 = $17.95 New rate is $18.75. Driver will get the new rate of $18.75.
Because of the retro checks being processed right now, payroll will not do any payroll adjustments on the new rate till the retro checks are all processed, at which point they will do new wage rates and back pay.
Now I know there will be those that will say its not right and I'm full of it but thats ok, this is what the drivers are getting and no amount of critisism will change that.

I hope you have that in writing signed. I seriously doubt UPS corporate is going to allow a center manager to make a decision like that. I hope it is true but I am not holding my breath!