Want PVDs next year?

Would you want PVDs next year?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
I am retired, so I don't matter anymore - but, my concern with PVDs is that they are a band aid for poor planning. They will be crack cocaine for poorly run centers. Offer OT to drivers and opportunities for inside employees and give the remaining scraps to PVDs, however, that would require thought, planning and effective communication...In other words....Yikes!

Queso

One experienced driver in a rental can get more done than two PVDs.

But not every driver is experienced that you guys have. Also, imagine if you had PVD’s with the same experience under their belt and a Diad, under those circumstances I would argue the two PVD’s with DIADs would be able to get more done and cover more ground, and it costs the company the same amount of money

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
It's all based on the area, some sux more than others.

I grew fond of rural areas because it's less taxing on the body, but it'll beat up the delivery vehicle

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Dude so many of the drivers I helped were jumping for joy that I helped them get out way earlier than usual. All of the dudes in here hating on pvd’s can suck my fat chode y’all don’t know what the :censored2: you’re talking about and make no sense. Talking about give the drivers more OT when every driver I worked with was maxed out and a lot of them didn’t have fun delivering packages until 10:30 at night. Hire more staff? So what, they get laid off for 3/4 of the season? Isn’t that just about the same as hiring seasonals? I know guys on crack that make more sense then some of y’all
During my last year of driving I was happier than hell when my management team sent a PVD driver to help me out. My loop partners didn't want the stops. Would rather have punched out around 8pm than 11pm. Screw the OT.

But not every driver is experienced that you guys have. Also, imagine if you had PVD’s with the same experience under their belt and a Diad, under those circumstances I would argue the two PVD’s with DIADs would be able to get more done and cover more ground, and it costs the company the same amount of money
Give me a package car with three seats and I'll show you how many stops per hour and save the company a boatload of money

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Not in my experience. We had fairly inexperienced drivers go out in rentals with the phone (because we ran out of DIADs), and they still out worked the vast majority of PVDs.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Is that because the stops are preloaded with map nav set-up to go?

Those temps in rentals that were flexed to cover areas without area knowledge probably were taking one stop at a time in no particular order @barnyard s case

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The peak volume this year was higher than last year from what everyone who worked there told me, so you working the same hours has nothing to do with PVDs sucking and more to do with a hell of a lot more packages
Yes it does. A truck rolling out of the building with a helper can get a lot more done than some scary dude in a rusty Toyota.

Queso

Yes it does. A truck rolling out of the building with a helper can get a lot more done than some scary dude in a rusty Toyota.

There were dudes with helpers that couldn’t clear out 250 stops by 10pm. Some scary dude in a rusty Toyota lmfao

Rack em

Made the Podium
OK.

Wait, you just said you were fine with seasonals.

I'm confused.

And we don't have any..

Do you even know what a PVD is?
What I meant to say was I don't like or agree with the concept of pvds. Right now it is contained to peak only, but we all know Ups will try and implement this idea year round and that will lead to scabs taking our union work. I was against the idea of pvds when they were first used soley for the reason that it allowed Ups to get their foot in the door with the possibility of subcontracting. We need to get concrete language on the use of pvds in the contract so it doesn't become a bigger issue in the future IMO.

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden
When you do, join and pay dues, don’t be a freeloader even if you’re legally able to, we’re in this together.

The ones who bitch the most and file the most grievances are not union members. I am in a right to work state.
Where else can you get fired and then have someone argue to get your job back. No free riders.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The problem I had with PVD's are the vehicles they were driving were simply too small. If they can't deliver a big screen tv or a bicycle size box they shouldn't have been hired. I have worked with a couple the last two years and both times I had to do some of their work. The area both times was a big swim/tennis subdivision that I deliver 20 stops an hour or thirty stops an hour with a Helper. My PVDs were averaging 5-8 stops and hour and I would still have to ride through and deliver any Oversize box.

fullsizeoutput_13a8.jpeg

oldngray

nowhere special
The problem I had with PVD's are the vehicles they were driving were simply too small. If they can't deliver a big screen tv or a bicycle size box they shouldn't have been hired. I have worked with a couple the last two years and both times I had to do some of their work. The area both times was a big swim/tennis subdivision that I deliver 20 stops an hour or thirty stops an hour with a Helper. My PVDs were averaging 5-8 stops and hour and I would still have to ride through and deliver any Oversize box.

View attachment 279309
They should at least have an SUV.