Want PVDs next year?

Would you want PVDs next year?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Queso

Not a problem for you, but if that stop was out of the way for him that would be a problem.

I kinda hope you do get hired and disqualified because you can't handle the work.

Idk drivers said I was getting them out early as :censored2: and that I was ten times better than any helper they had before so that’s all I gotta say about it

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The problem really is your management team. They shouldn't be having you give the PVD stops. They should be coming to the building and getting them. Then they shuttle you out the "later in the day" stops after.

None of our drivers gave PVD drivers stops unless it was because the PVD drivers were done and the driver needed help.
I don't know exactly what went down but it looks like they loaded 6-8 PVD routes into 1 package car, then pvds would load from the car and the remainder (too big/PVD quit, etc) would be delivered either standalone or with a junk shuttle. Probably a sup while nobody was looking.

KoennenTiger

I worked as a PVD a little during peak

Except for malls, helpers are gone next peak I bet

FYI PVDs aren’t really a long term strategy to kill drivers, it’s more like a short term fix because our infrastructure sucks and we keep kicking the can

22.4’s are what you should really worry about

22.4s are here. We have a whole bunch of them

pkgdriver

Our center mostly used PVD's out of PODs or storage units/garages. Sometimes the driver would drop off the work early(Nov). As things ramped up unloaders and preloaders would use rentals to shuttle to the PODs. Center had the preload down early so the shuttles were already gone by driver start time. Late airs were also dropped off at a lot of the PODs by the same shuttle drivers. A few golf carts and some helpers used also. Center had a BOG plan it seems.

Queso

Sounds like we found the Dave of PVDs.

I said that to make a point that in contrast to a helper a few of the drivers that I was working with thought it was more efficient, not to say my dong is huge. I feel like I was extremely useful because I actually try and live by a motto of not bothering to do something unless I’m giving 120 percent. Give me a diad and I’m an amazon flex driver on steroids

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I worked as a PVD a little during peak

Except for malls, helpers are gone next peak I bet

FYI PVDs aren’t really a long term strategy to kill drivers, it’s more like a short term fix because our infrastructure sucks and we keep kicking the can

22.4’s are what you should really worry about

You’re in management. If you worked as a PVD then you just completely violated the contract, not like we don’t know this happens but thanks for confirming Dave.

35years

Gravy route
So this is the way it woked here....

We disqualified 18 out of 20 drivers just before peak, all on the last day of their qualifying period. 15 of the disqualified were very close to scratch. Most were offered a "seasonal" driver position after disqualification. Anything to keep from hiring them permanently. 2 took the crappy temp position.

This is in a center which never has a problem with too many drivers....Many 9.5s paid.

Completely overwhelmed during peak. 70 hour rule. They hired 30 PVDs, which was the plan going into peak. We were rolling tens of thousands of boxes every night.

Mug you are wrong....We were esentually using subcontractors. Some of the PVDs still had their plackards on their cars advertizing their non-union delivery company's name. They may have been hired individually, but a non-union competitor was supplying the manpower. Others PVDs were managers.

So the plan was dump potential permanent drivers for PVDs. They used the qualifing drivers as long as possible, they needed the bodies.

Hiring PVDs cost permanent full time union jobs.

A scab by any other name...is still a scab.

35years

Gravy route
1st... I would NEVER use my own phone to give scab PVDs union work. I know how to roll stops till the next day.

2nd... If they told me to work as directed and set up meet points with a scab, you better believe I wouldn't show up early, and he might be waiting a while.

3rd.. .He would be getting all the dog food, matress in a bag, rugs etc. even if they stuck out the back of his civic.

Skull_Leader

Just checked the UPS site to see if there was any change with my application.
They want to see me next week!
Eff yeah, and the best part is that I won't have to pay dues or anything
God Bless Texas!

clipperman

Poor planning. The plan is to work supervisors.
Nothing has changed.

The company finds any way to violate the cba without members willing to file on supes working when there are other bargaining unit workers available.

The paper is worthless unless someone challenges the violations.

You can gripe about your local all you want but if we arent willing to shut down the violations with grievances then I say quit and let someone else get a job who's willing to stand up to this greed and dishonesty.
100% this,we’ve fought supervisors working here during peak off and on for a few years,finally got paid a hefty grievance for sups working last peak and guess what....no supervisors here at all this one,sometimes the system works as it’s supposed to

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You think they're gonna get hit with back-dues if they do pvd next peak?

Nope.

But any Union member who is out of work can get a withdrawal card and not be responsible for back dues once he/she returns to work. No different than a PVD working every peak.

Mug you are wrong....We were esentually using subcontractors. Some of the PVDs still had their plackards on their cars advertizing their non-union delivery company's name. They may have been hired individually, but a non-union competitor was supplying the manpower. Others PVDs were managers.

I don't care who they worked for outside of peak, or who "supplied" the manpower.

The PVD's hired by UPS were dues paying, full-time, seasonal package car drivers. If managers were delivering, I hope you filed for the money.

Hiring PVDs cost permanent full time union jobs.

It did not. UPS has hired temporary seasonal package car drivers for the last decade, of which most never stayed on after peak. The only ones that stayed were if UPS did need more drivers after peak. No different than today. If they need more drivers after peak, they hire more full-time package cars drivers. PVD's have nothing to do with it.

So the plan was dump potential permanent drivers for PVDs. They used the qualifing drivers as long as possible, they needed the bodies.

If these "qualifying" drivers are needed after peak, they will be the ones driving, not PVD's. I'm not the one that negotiated seasonal drivers, or allowing a free period during peak so as to not allow drivers to qualify. If you don't like it, vote to change it. It is what it is.

Bottom line, when UPS has every package car used, every rental it can find, how do you propose that they deliver all the volume?

Do you want them to buy more package cars just to use during peak?
Do you want them to quit accepting shippers packages because they don't have enough vehicles?
Do you want them to sub-contract the work, to actual non-union companies?

PVD's are the least of all evils. And again, they are not scabs. They are dues paying seasonal package car drivers, the same extra jobs UPS has hired for the last decade. The only difference is that the PVD's drive their own vehicles, but also get paid for their mileage.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Bottom line, when UPS has every package car used, every rental it can find, how do you propose that they deliver all the volume?

But.... the company is making record profits !

Do you want them to buy more package cars just to use during peak?

Do you want them to quit accepting shippers packages because they don't have enough vehicles?

But... the company is making record profits !

Do you want them to sub-contract the work, to actual non-union companies?

If you don't like it, vote to change it.

But.... the Union will just "fix" the contract voting.

We need to vote them out !

-Bug-