Want PVDs next year?

Would you want PVDs next year?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Queso

All routes are not equal. 250 stops can be easy on one route by yourself but be impossible on another route even with a helper.

The problem I had with PVD's are the vehicles they were driving were simply too small. If they can't deliver a big screen tv or a bicycle size box they shouldn't have been hired. I have worked with a couple the last two years and both times I had to do some of their work. The area both times was a big swim/tennis subdivision that I deliver 20 stops an hour or thirty stops an hour with a Helper. My PVDs were averaging 5-8 stops and hour and I would still have to ride through and deliver any Oversize box.

View attachment 279309

How about you don’t give them the 60 inch tv, ever thought about that? Out of 300 stops one day maybe 6 or 7 packages couldn’t fit in my 10th gen civic sedan. If I’m able to fit 98 percent of the stops in my car it shouldn’t be an issue. For the record I did fit a 56 inch tv into my car by putting the seats down. I easily could fit 60 stops of regular boxes in my car

542thruNthru

The problem I had with PVD's are the vehicles they were driving were simply too small. If they can't deliver a big screen tv or a bicycle size box they shouldn't have been hired. I have worked with a couple the last two years and both times I had to do some of their work. The area both times was a big swim/tennis subdivision that I deliver 20 stops an hour or thirty stops an hour with a Helper. My PVDs were averaging 5-8 stops and hour and I would still have to ride through and deliver any Oversize box.

View attachment 279309

The problem really is your management team. They shouldn't be having you give the PVD stops. They should be coming to the building and getting them. Then they shuttle you out the "later in the day" stops after.

None of our drivers gave PVD drivers stops unless it was because the PVD drivers were done and the driver needed help.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Dude so many of the drivers I helped were jumping for joy that I helped them get out way earlier than usual. * Talking about give the drivers more OT when every driver I worked with was maxed out and a lot of them didn’t have fun delivering packages until 10:30 at night. Hire more staff? So what, they get laid off for 3/4 of the season? Isn’t that just about the same as hiring seasonals? I know guys on crack that make more sense then some of y’all

OK. I'm lost. I was replying to your statement as follows.

That is what ups want you to think you fool

Yes, you are the only way we could get everything delivered. I don't disagree.

Hell, maybe I am on crack and don't know what I'm talking about.....

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
How about you don’t give them the 60 inch tv, ever thought about that? Out of 300 stops one day maybe 6 or 7 packages couldn’t fit in my 10th gen civic sedan. If I’m able to fit 98 percent of the stops in my car it shouldn’t be an issue. For the record I did fit a 56 inch tv into my car by putting the seats down. I easily could fit 60 stops of regular boxes in my car
If you had a normal sized delivery vehicle, a 60 in tv wouldn’t be a problem.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What I meant to say was I don't like or agree with the concept of pvds. Right now it is contained to peak only, but we all know Ups will try and implement this idea year round and that will lead to scabs taking our union work. I was against the idea of pvds when they were first used soley for the reason that it allowed Ups to get their foot in the door with the possibility of subcontracting. We need to get concrete language on the use of pvds in the contract so it doesn't become a bigger issue in the future IMO.

OK. I agree with this. Do not allow PVD's outside of peak.

But, you do realize, that PVD's are dues paying Union members, not scabs?

They are dues paying, full time, seasonal, package car drivers, minus the package car. We ran out of package cars, U-hauls, Ryders, Budgets, Penskes, etc. So, they drive their personal cars instead of a U-haul. Contain it to peak, and we are good.

Queso

If you had a normal sized delivery vehicle, a 60 in tv wouldn’t be a problem.

I can fit a 60 inch tv, barely with the seats down. All I’m saying is how many giant flatscreen TVs are you delivering as opposed to all other stops, they maybe account for 0.1 percent of the package volume

Queso

Also I have to point out jeff bezos pioneered the PVD idea via amazon flex and ups was just like hmm that’s a good idea why don’t we use them

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

The problem really is your management team. They shouldn't be having you give the PVD stops. They should be coming to the building and getting them. Then they shuttle you out the "later in the day" stops after.

None of our drivers gave PVD drivers stops unless it was because the PVD drivers were done and the driver needed help.

I agree with 542 on this. As a PVD, you should pick up your assigned stops at the building. If you are assigned oversized pieces, tough. Make additional trips back to get them.

The bid route driver should absolutely be able to start his day without meeting you.

Queso

If the regular driver has to go out of his way to deliver a few stops that the PVD couldn't handle it mostly defeats the purpose.

It didn’t seem to be a problem, he would just give me streets that didn’t have oversized packages. The one time I had to I jammed the 56 incher in there but it did take up a lot of space

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It didn’t seem to be a problem, he would just give me streets that didn’t have oversized packages. The one time I had to I jammed the 56 incher in there but it did take up a lot of space

Not a problem for you, but if that stop was out of the way for him that would be a problem.

I kinda hope you do get hired and disqualified because you can't handle the work.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
That would suck if I see my flat screen tv crammed into a sedan with boxes and misc parcels on top of it...

Get UPS to rent the box trucks or cargo vans...
DSC_0264.JPG

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Rental places run out of trucks to rent at peak

Simple, reserve early! Datz Wut my subcontractors dew!

It's not like Xmas is different every year, yas?

Buddy up to the closest rental places near your hub early... common cents (trick pony?)

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
I am retired, so I don't matter anymore - but, my concern with PVDs is that they are a band aid for poor planning. They will be crack cocaine for poorly run centers. ...however, that would require thought, planning and effective communication...In other words....Yikes!
Poor planning. The plan is to work supervisors.
Nothing has changed.

The company finds any way to violate the cba without members willing to file on supes working when there are other bargaining unit workers available.

The paper is worthless unless someone challenges the violations.

You can gripe about your local all you want but if we arent willing to shut down the violations with grievances then I say quit and let someone else get a job who's willing to stand up to this greed and dishonesty.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I worked as a PVD a little during peak

Except for malls, helpers are gone next peak I bet

FYI PVDs aren’t really a long term strategy to kill drivers, it’s more like a short term fix because our infrastructure sucks and we keep kicking the can

22.4’s are what you should really worry about