We need to demand hazard pay

vantexan

Don't know the current numbers but when FedEx had about $53 Billion of total income it's payroll was close to half of that. So if shelling out about $26 Billion a year in pay then how with the profit at anywhere from hundreds of millions to about $4 Billion then how can they pay every courier $30 hr with premium insurance to boot? There used to be about 70,000 couriers. If they all worked exactly 40 hours at $30 hr for 52 weeks a year you're looking at over $43 Billion! Before we start arguing about how many are part-time there are a lot more employees than couriers, and I didn't even mention OT or benefits. And FedEx has huge fuel and vehicle costs too. Honestly we took it on the chin all those years with minimal raises. But the current pay plan is about as good as you could hope for. And with the current crisis things are beyond the company's control. It will take longer to top out because the company isn't going to shell out more than it takes in. Do the math. I want all of you guys to get as much as possible. But it's labor intensive work that requires a large workforce. So there's only so much to spread around. And why they are shifting work to Ground to ultimately reduce hours and total employees. If we end up in a depression don't expect great pay and a decent retirement. You'll be fortunate to have a job.
My math is off. That's over $4.3 billion in the example I cited, not $43 billion. Shouldn't do math in the early morning.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
This just in: Hazard pay kills the virus.

It's kind of funny. Some of the comments from Express people are hilarious. "This is such a dangerous virus and it's unconscionable that we have to work." Then, later, "It would be different if they'd give us hazard pay."

One minute you balk at putting your life at great risk to serve a money-hungry heartless corporation, the next minute you'll let it slide for a measly two bucks.

fdxsux

We can (and probably will) argue whether or not Fedex can afford better pay and benefits until the cows come home. The fact of the matter is they don’t HAVE to afford it. UPS has to pay their drivers more because they have negotiated a legally binding contract that says they will. My guess is that if Fedex HAD to pay their drivers more they would figure out how to afford it real quick. The “operate independently, compete collectively “ strategy would be gone in a heartbeat. They probably wouldn’t pay me $25/hr to punch stupid time codes into my powerpad, watch Frontline, or work on the am and pm sort. I wouldn’t be scanning and bagging every single one of the 500 docs at my bulk pickup. I’d just roll up, scan a cons tag they’ve printed off and throw them in my truck like the UPS guy does. I could give more examples but I’d be here all night. The real reason Fedex can’t afford to pay their drivers more is because they don’t have to.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We can (and probably will) argue whether or not Fedex can afford better pay and benefits until the cows come home. The fact of the matter is they don’t HAVE to afford it. UPS has to pay their drivers more because they have negotiated a legally binding contract that says they will. My guess is that if Fedex HAD to pay their drivers more they would figure out how to afford it real quick. The “operate independently, compete collectively “ strategy would be gone in a heartbeat. They probably wouldn’t pay me $25/hr to punch stupid time codes into my powerpad, watch Frontline, or work on the am and pm sort. I wouldn’t be scanning and bagging every single one of the 500 docs at my bulk pickup. I’d just roll up, scan a cons tag they’ve printed off and throw them in my truck like the UPS guy does. I could give more examples but I’d be here all night. The real reason Fedex can’t afford to pay their drivers more is because they don’t have to.

:goodpost:

CatMan

Fedex sucks, first time I'm reading any of your post's and one of the best one's I've read! You have several excellent points. It all comes back to breaking our company into multiple operating entities, By doing this ,our company became a story of the have and have not's, And Ground got the shaft. In spite of doing the Lion's share of the crap work , Express has enjoyed the reputation of delivering the sensative goods such as passports, controlled medication, jewelry, ect. Ground became the stepbrother, and they deserved better.

MAKAVELI

Fedex sucks, first time I'm reading any of your post's and one of the best one's I've read! You have several excellent points. It all comes back to breaking our company into multiple operating entities, By doing this ,our company became a story of the have and have not's, And Ground got the shaft. In spite of doing the Lion's share of the crap work , Express has enjoyed the reputation of delivering the sensative goods such as passports, controlled medication, jewelry, ect. Ground became the stepbrother, and they deserved better.
We all deserve better. Should be one company, one love......

vantexan

One thing y'all aren't considering, at least yet, is if we go into a depression there will not only be less business but a lot of businesses are going to seek the cheapest option. Expect Ground to cut into UPS's business more and more which will make it more and more difficult for UPS to meet it's payroll obligations. And that most likely means a lot less Express volume. Ground may get so busy they go back to having Express take care of all of it's deliveries. They rolled out this Ground delivering Express before the coronavirus became the issue it is now and in the planning stages they probably never foresaw these events.

DeliveryException

Ground may get so busy they go back to having Express take care of all of it's deliveries

Go back to? Did express do all of grounds deliveries at some point? I mean, I have been here 13 yrs and never delivered any ground packages. I'm not sure what went on before that point though.

It will be fine

Go back to? Did express do all of grounds deliveries at some point? I mean, I have been here 13 yrs and never delivered any ground packages. I'm not sure what went on before that point though.
I think he meant Express keeping all its deliveries. They won’t. The test markets are working as planned and expanding. The half million Express packages are a blip in the Ground volume, there’s no reason to alter course on that front.

vantexan

You are aware that there's an upcoming program to give Ground Express deliveries? I was just saying if Ground got too busy they might have to give those deliveries back to Express.

vantexan

I think he meant Express keeping all its deliveries. They won’t. The test markets are working as planned and expanding. The half million Express packages are a blip in the Ground volume, there’s no reason to alter course on that front.
If Ground did pick up enough business while Express guys are standing around they could certainly shift that back to Express.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's kind of funny. Some of the comments from Express people are hilarious. "This is such a dangerous virus and it's unconscionable that we have to work." Then, later, "It would be different if they'd give us hazard pay."

One minute you balk at putting your life at great risk to serve a money-hungry heartless corporation, the next minute you'll let it slide for a measly two bucks.

You don't get it, and you never get it. IF they are going to ask you to work under DANGEROUS conditions, you deserve MORE MONEY. Or, you can let me STAY HOME and at least continue medical benefits until it is SAFE TO WORK.